Author Topic: Ripstop Nylon Patch Review  (Read 4438 times)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
Ripstop Nylon Patch Review
« on: September 20, 2015, 11:52:29 AM »
Received a sample of the ripstop nylon patch material from Wilderbeast and wanted to give my initial impressions of it.  It seems very strong, adheres well and is very easy to use.  Below is a quick (football was coming on) video review. 

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Ripstop Nylon Patch Review
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 01:02:30 PM »
Outstanding review.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 01:33:47 PM »
Cool!

Looks like it would work well for tents and tarps.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 04:01:08 PM »
Great review, thanks Dave.  I think if you gave that adhesive 24 hours to cure it would reach it's full strength, but it is pretty sticky stuff immediately.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 04:13:15 PM »
Good review Crash, I have not had a chance yet to try any tests but was thinking this might also be good stuff to repair my USMC bivy bag which I have in the past repaired with small patches of gortex, this stuff might work just as well or better ( and certainly cheaper  8) )
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 05:29:22 PM »
Great review, thanks Dave.  I think if you gave that adhesive 24 hours to cure it would reach it's full strength, but it is pretty sticky stuff immediately.

that's been my experience with the sample i got -- initial tack but able to re-position on woven material.  after a few hours, it's stuck tight.  Instant hard tack on smooth vinyl.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 05:31:13 PM »
Good review Crash, I have not had a chance yet to try any tests but was thinking this might also be good stuff to repair my USMC bivy bag which I have in the past repaired with small patches of gortex, this stuff might work just as well or better ( and certainly cheaper  8) )

I can tell you first hand this stuff works really well adhering to gore tex.

One hint, I run a lighter around the edge of the patch before taking off the paper backing to prevent fraying, it makes a difference over time.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 08:14:02 PM »

I can tell you first hand this stuff works really well adhering to gore tex.

One hint, I run a lighter around the edge of the patch before taking off the paper backing to prevent fraying, it makes a difference over time.

Good tip, thanks Mike  8)
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 06:59:45 AM »
Dave,  bring some to KICCO.  I have a little rip in a pair of green ripstop nylon camp slacks.   :)

Offline Icepick15

• Whetstone
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 03:40:10 PM »
I CCW a 1911.  Cover garment is almost always a vest of one flavor or another.  The hammer spur wore a hole in the inside layer of one of my (OD green) 5.11 vests.  Fairly sizable hole, but only the inside layer.  I covered it with a patch.  Then, I covered that with a larger patch which overlapped the first patch.  Singed the edges of both patches as Mike suggested.  Haven't had occasion to wear this particular vest yet, so it's had a few days to cure.  After I've worn it a few times, I'll report back on how well it adheres to cotton.  Initial impression is that it sticks very well.
Retired LEO--40 years on the job
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Offline natertot

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 06:03:14 PM »
Good review, Crash.

I had gotten a little sample from Wilder and this is good stuff. I used a piece on a Military compression bag and so far so good. I am thinking for added strength, one could also sew it on in addition to the adhesive. I haven't tried that so I really can't attest, but it is an idea that has crossed my mind.

This is pretty good stuff though!

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 09:06:54 AM »
update -- 8 months later, only 1 of the 3 pieces I stuck to my lunchbag is starting to let go at one corner -- everything else is still tight and no fraying at the edges.