Author Topic: G. Fred asbell vs lester river borreal shirt  (Read 3630 times)

Offline vtwhelen

• Mill File
G. Fred asbell vs lester river borreal shirt
« on: September 22, 2015, 07:49:21 AM »
Hi, I am looking at getting some wool gear for upcoming fall season.  In my research I found the lester river looks awesome made in usa. Than I found g fred asbell the company has a variety  of pull overs and anoraks  but for much cheaper (also made in usa). Anyone have/ handled both is there a diffrence in quality?

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
Re: G. Fred asbell vs lester river borreal shirt
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 05:24:56 AM »
Sorry I cannot compare the two. A friend has a GFred Asbell and imo it is completely adequate, and the pricing makes it a bargain.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 06:29:47 AM »
I have the Empire Wool and Canvas boreal shirt, which is identical to the Lester river.  Very well designed with a lot of useful extras like interior pockets, d-rings to snap gear to so they don't get lost and a gusset around the neck that allow for adjusting the ventilation according to temperature and activity level.

I think the lower price of the Asbell is reflected in the lack of the extra features found in the more expensive version of the boreal shirt, but I must say the price makes it a very attractive option.

Were I to be purchasing one now, I'd give the Asbell a long look, especially because of the different weight wool options.  The Empire shirt is just too heavy for all but the coldest days here in the mountains of North Carolina. 
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline MontanaLongrifle

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 09:26:52 PM »
I have both, and if I were to choose only one, it would be the Lester River. Seems the wool in the LR is heavier and as already mentioned, it has great pockets, etc. I only purchased the GFA because they came in lots of different colors and plaids. I'm a traditional bowhunter, so I liked one of the green plaids they had. The trouble I have with GFA is they are often out of stock on items and don't resupply very often. I also have trouble getting them to respond to my emails.
Overall, the two shirts fit about the same, but the cut of the LR is roomier and easier to get on and off. I also have a wool blanket shirt in black that I found on www.nwwoodsman.com I like that one, too, but it has no hood. I've used it quite a bit, and it holds up well. It's very similar to the Duluth Pack version and the James Townsend & Son version, though I do not have either of those two. If you're going to spend money on good gear, go for the Lester River.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:40:12 PM »
I agree on the Lester River being the best of the two but that is if you live where it is cold enough to use the Lester River.  My wife has the Empire Wool and Canvas model  Boreal shirt and the quality is wonderful.

The Asbell is made from wool that is not as dense as the Lester River.  I base that on the only one I have seen so it may not be that way for all of the colors/patterns they offer.  I have heard a few bad things about the customer service at Asbell and would probably be leery of them because of that.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 03:48:51 PM »
I have one of the Asbell and love it. I ordered the new full front zipper hooded model. its perfect for winters in Tenn & Florida. place my order and received it in short time. Depends on time of year, these folks travel a lot.
Wife wearing mine on a cold windy day at the 2014 RENDEZVOUS

You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar