Author Topic: Speedy Stitcher Awl  (Read 5493 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Speedy Stitcher Awl
« on: October 14, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
In response to MnSportsman's request for some info on the Stitcher here is a video I found on YouTube.

It shows the way to use the stitcher. 

I have used one to sew gun slips, leather bags, sheaths, and repair a variety of things like canvas tents and leather boots.  I don't find it useful for sewing light weight material.

The stitcher uses a stitch like a sewing machine and from the video you get a good look at how it proceeds.  I have found that when you start use about twice the thread on the side that goes into the loop than you think you need.  That way when you are done you have enough to back stitch a few holes and tie it off.  Like a sewing machine stitch this stitch isn't locked except by the "bite" of the waxed thread on itself. 

I don't know anything about needles except that they all work pretty well in going through material with the larger straight needle being the easiest on leather.  Here is the website of the company that makes the stitcher and if you look at the needles they tell you what they are used for which is fine thread or coarse thread.  They don't say much about a needles particular use.

On knife sheaths I prefer the saddle stitch as I think it locks better than the one the stitcher produces but it certainly will sew one and if you drill all the holes ahead of time, especially on a sheath with a welt, it does it pretty easily.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 12:17:58 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Speedy Stitcher Awl
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 12:38:55 PM »
Here's another showing smaller thread and a spare needle source.

Here's a link to the instruction sheet that comes in the box with the stitcher...

http://www.speedystitcher.com/speedy-stitcher-instructions/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:42:50 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 01:33:20 PM »
Good video Wolfy.  Watching him sew in that shoe reminded me to mention that you need to be careful when putting your fingers in an area that is tight like the back of that moccassin or you will run that needle into your hand,.  :(

I also found in looking through the photos on the maker of the awl's website that the curved needles are for what they call surface work where you keep the thread on one side of the material.  I think it would be used with a blind stitch on folded material or along the edge of a bag.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 04:44:51 PM »
Thanks Stan.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 04:20:22 AM »
Thanks wsdstan & wolfy for the info/videos!
:thumbsup:

I think I am going to try & make a axe mask or two, using this tool. I also would like to make a soft leather "possibles" pouch, and I think this tool might just be the "ticket" for the job. I figure the best way for me to learn more now is to just try it out on a few projects & see how things go.

If anyone else wants to share more tips... I for one, would be happy to know more.
:)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 08:06:37 AM »
Thanks Stan & Wolfy for the videos.   Great information here for a beginner.
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline insaneh

• Mill File+
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 11:35:26 AM »
Nice vids. I'll give these a run soon.

Offline JTD

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 11:53:06 AM »
I have so many sewing projects I'd like to accomplish, and now a speedy stitcher..  So thanks for the tips, and links.  Bookmarked for later use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 04:50:28 PM »
Thanks Stan and Craig for the videos, now if only I could find a speedy stitcher at a reasonable price. 
Any advice on where to get one?

:rofl: :lol:
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 06:48:47 PM »
Your price is the best I have seen since they were a buck.  Surprised you have any left.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 07:09:39 PM »
Your price is the best I have seen since they were a buck.  Surprised you have any left.

I bought a very large number so I still have a bunch left.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 07:26:02 PM »
Thanks wsdstan & wolfy for the info/videos!

I think I am going to try & make a axe mask or two, using this tool. I also would like to make a soft leather "possibles" pouch, and I think this tool might just be the "ticket" for the job. I figure the best way for me to learn more now is to just try it out on a few projects & see how things go.

If anyone else wants to share more tips... I for one, would be happy to know more.

Hey JB- If you have any old jeans laying around that you can cut the pant legs off to make small bags or covers with, your stitcher will work great on that weight material, and be easy enough to get familiar with it while making stitches.  Plus you'll have some handy-dandy projects you make for yourself  :)   

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 03:36:46 AM »

Hey JB- If you have any old jeans laying around that you can cut the pant legs off to make small bags or covers with, your stitcher will work great on that weight material, and be easy enough to get familiar with it while making stitches.  Plus you'll have some handy-dandy projects you make for yourself  :)   

Good idea Dano!

I think I will try doing that first off as a practice run. I need a couple of pouches for cookware.
Thanks!
 :D

I also have another question & that is about the cordage. I was wondering if anyone had used any other types of thread/string than the one the Speedy Stitcher supplies and comes with? Like maybe embroidery thread or even waxed dental floss? Or , anything other than the original type thread supplied by this company? It would be nice to know if anyone has alternatives they have used in the past.
Thanks!
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 05:44:29 AM »
They'll work with almost anything you can thread the needle with, but the smaller needle works better with the fine stuff.  I say that for a couple of reasons......first, the loop that forms when you pull the awl back needs to have adequate friction between the needle and the material being sewn for that to happen reliably.  When you use the large needle, it naturally makes a larger hole that sometimes has too much 'windage' to get a loop to form at the side of the needle. Secondly, when the punched holes are too large for the thread being used, the locked portion of the stitch is difficult to keep buried between the layers of the material.  That leaves the thread's 'crossing-point' exposed on one side or the other because the hole in the material is too big and doesn't provide enough friction to keep it placed correctly.  That situation leaves the stitching more vulnerable to damage.  If one of those exposed stitches breaks, it will all be more likely to come undone because they are not being held by the friction that they would have inherently had, had they been correctly 'buried' between the layers of material.  Thread, in holes that are too big, just LOOKS bad, too!  :P  >:(

Here's a link for buying a smaller #4 needle to supplement the #8 needles that come with the Speedy Stitcher.....
http://www.sailrite.com/Needles-for-Awl-Straight-4
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:35:13 AM by wolfy »

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 06:05:29 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Craig! ( No pun intended. ;) )

I was interested in knowing if there was any suitable cordage materials that could be substituted in case there was some difficulty in obtaining the Orig. Manuf. stuff. The info shared about the hole sizes & the matching size of cordage was certainly important to know.  I would also be curious to know if there is a coarser cordage that would be suitable. For example, Has anyone tried to use a rawhide type cordage with a large needle, to use this tool?

I will keep looking around, but at the same time I wait to see what B&B members can hold forth about,  in this regard..
;D

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 07:14:32 PM »
Rawhide would be too big to go through the eyes of the needles I have, but I have successfully used artificial sinew to stitch up a canvas 'windbreaker' on our tractor. 

Nobody has mentioned it yet, nor did I see it in the directions, but you don't have to wind a length of thread onto the bobbin to use it.  If you have a looooong run of stitching to do like I did on that canvas windbreaker, just go directly from the spool of cordage, through the end-cap, out the little side hole, around the stud and then through the collet and needle.  Pull a length of thread the length of the run of stitching from the eye of the needle + a few extra inches to make up for the lock stitch and start stitching.  When you're done, clip the thread at the back of the awl, pull it out of the awl, tie it off and you're done.  No wasted thread, no splices, no bobbin winding.....EZ-PZ!

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 12:53:01 AM »
Rawhide would be too big to go through the eyes of the needles I have, but I have successfully used artificial sinew to stitch up a canvas 'windbreaker' on our tractor. 

Nobody has mentioned it yet, nor did I see it in the directions, but you don't have to wind a length of thread onto the bobbin to use it.  If you have a looooong run of stitching to do like I did on that canvas windbreaker, just go directly from the spool of cordage, through the end-cap, out the little side hole, around the stud and then through the collet and needle.  Pull a length of thread the length of the run of stitching from the eye of the needle + a few extra inches to make up for the lock stitch and start stitching.  When you're done, clip the thread at the back of the awl, pull it out of the awl, tie it off and you're done.  No wasted thread, no splices, no bobbin winding.....EZ-PZ!

Thanks for the tips!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 03:42:14 PM »
Gave one of mine to my BIL and he used it to make a holster last week. Worked out well! :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 10:41:56 AM »
I got my Speedy Stitcher out to stitch up a couple of leg-tie straps (made from Velcro) to put around  the cuffs of my overalls when I'm riding my motorcycle.....othe rwise, depending on wind direction and intensity, my pant legs blow up to mid-calf or even knee-height sometimes.  Heather gave me a pair of those commercially-made straps that she had in her stash of bicycling gear, but they were not long enough to get a really dependable 'latch area,' so, consequently I lost one of them last year. :-\

For a WOLFY APPROVED homemade replacement I needed to stitch two short lengths of 'hook & fuzz' together for each separate leg-tie, but a needle, thread, thimble combination proved to be pretty tough on the fingers.....so, out came the Speedy Stitcher, a couple of short lengths of wood trim and the pair of VISE GRIPS.  I fashioned a hand-held stitching pony from the wood scraps and a pair of VISE GRIPS and then clamped the VISE GRIPS in my bench vise.   The improvised stitching pony worked quite well and now I have a new pair of leg-ties that have a 4" 'latch area' that will keep my pants legs under control, even when riding in a Florida hurricane! 8)

I don't use the Speedy Stitcher very often or for too many of my heavy sewing projects, but for something like this they really come in handy. :thumbsup:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 11:51:02 AM »
Yes indeed they are.  Got mine from Wall Drug a loooong time ago.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 12:11:26 PM »
I have two of them and use them when needed.  Wilderbeast had a bunch for sale and cheap.  Too bad he moved on.
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2019, 05:12:21 AM »
pictures i need pictures.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 08:23:35 AM »
(Mark Twain)