Author Topic: Project Mora  (Read 5162 times)

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
Project Mora
« on: April 20, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »
Well I had  been talking about wanting to carve  up a custom handle for my  840 MG sure I know I  could just buy a blank but I wanted something  a bit different.   So  the  handle is going to  be birch for the main portion a piece of I am leaning towards a  nice chunk of elk antler from Mr T  sent me topped off with a coin an old friend gave me a 1955 Franklin silver half  dollar the  hilt will be an Irish coin the same friend gave me the harp will be facing out. I am carving it mostly with the Mora kinda seemed  fitting to use that blade. Anyways  this will be a work in progress so check back from time to  time oh and I did use my  Fulton a bit with this

?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Project Mora
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »
Looks like a fun project. I like the idea of using the coins as spacers/bolsters.

Make sure you have a look at some pictures of the 840MG tang before you start your project. It's not well suited to re-handling. Some people have done it, but you're far better off with a stick tang for the type of project you want to do. The 840 has about a half length stub tang inside.

Also, this topic might be more appropriate for the "self made knives" section. If you'd like I can move it. It would stand better chances of coming up in search results that way.

Looking forward to seeing the finished knife! :thumbsup:

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »
Looks like a fun project. I like the idea of using the coins as spacers/bolsters.

Make sure you have a look at some pictures of the 840MG tang before you start your project. It's not well suited to re-handling. Some people have done it, but you're far better off with a stick tang for the type of project you want to do. The 840 has about a half length stub tang inside.

Also, this topic might be more appropriate for the "self made knives" section. If you'd like I can move it. It would stand better chances of coming up in search results that way.

Looking forward to seeing the finished knife! :thumbsup:

Thanks  feel free to move it wasn't sure where to post it lol

More  doing this  again to try something different I know it's not the  best knife to rehandle  but figured what  the hell I have it and prefer the wood  over plastic anyways now. Besides it's not so much a main user anymore  ya know?
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 05:33:41 PM »
I really like your handle work so far easy, very nice looking and the coins are very cool!!

I was thinking the same as PW on the tang...found a x-ray pic on BF.  Scroll down to post #9 I believe and you'll see it.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/723781-First-Mora-911-840-or-511

Keep us up to date on this one!!

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 12:52:05 PM »
awesome start man, I would definitely check out ragweed forge though, he's got Mora blanks for very cheap and you could get one with a long tang, like 13 bucks I think.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:43:55 AM by Binalith »

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 12:54:09 PM »
awesome start man, I would definitely check out ragweed forge though, he's got more blanks for very cheap and you could get one with a long tang, like 13 bucks I think.

thinking about it still unsure if I wanna hack a good knife handle up anyways. but trying to  get the profile as close as I can to the shape of the 840.  To  be honest been wanting to do up a classic #3 blade make me a nice big knife and think I may  just use this handle for it

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 04:27:04 PM »
I like the idea of using the coins.  I might have to borrow from your idea someday!
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »
I like the idea of using the coins.  I might have to borrow from your idea someday!

Go for it have seen it used before. I just don't wanna  drill a whole into the 55 ya know?

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »
Easy, you had the same idea I had for using coins! I plan on using one for a Mora 120 blade as a bolster - I have a whole box full of foreign coins, many brass.

Can't wait to see how this turns out!
"My common sense is tingling..."