Author Topic: Ray Lite mini lighter  (Read 3996 times)

Offline mneedham

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
Ray Lite mini lighter
« on: November 13, 2015, 02:27:24 PM »
I picked up this tiny Japan made lighter (flint, wick and lighter fluid) and I'm actually impressed how well it works...  Anybody ever seen one of these?

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Re: Ray Lite mini lighter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 04:03:46 PM »
Wow, I won one of those at a church carnival when I was about 8 years old!
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 04:22:08 PM »
I had one of those when I was a little kid too.  I think it was a carnival prize but don't know why. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 04:33:01 PM »
I've seen those as well....Made in Japan means pretty old .....LOL, that was before Taiwan, Pakistan, and lately China.
They are pretty cool.....
Nice find and thanks for posting.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 07:09:12 PM »
I have one I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago. It works great too. I'm surprised how long the fluid lasts being so tiny.

I collect lighters..

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 07:13:35 PM »
This one is similar but all brass. I love finding little ones like these I know I can get to work again.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 07:43:50 PM »

Had a couple of those as well....they sold them at the auto parts store along with "suicide knobs" with the clear plastic and something in them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-American-Flag-Steering-Wheel-Spinner-Suicide-Knob-Handle-for-Car-Truck-/291534288448

Very cool lighters.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline mneedham

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 08:51:25 PM »
Lol - Its good to be among friends..  I should have known there were a bunch of lighter fanatics here!  It is actually a fairly practical bit of gear for it's size..

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 09:03:29 PM »
I remember when all the cool Levi-clad dudes with ducktail haircuts, motorcycle jackets, engineer boots and packs of Camels rolled up in their t-shirt sleeves had cars with dual glass packs, 3-bar flipper hubcaps and fender skirts.  None would be caught dead without one of those suicide spinner knobs with a naked girl under that clear lucite.  I think they sold for about $1.50 at the Deep Rock station here in town. 8)

I had to settle for one of those Scripto lighters with a trout fly swimming around in the Ronsonal. :'(.   I still have my 1966 brushed chrome Zippo with a factory-refurbished hinge.  Lighter tricks are rough on Zippos. :P
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:31:15 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 09:08:51 PM »
My favorite version are the Mini Match.....

First one, was a plastic red one I had found years ago.

Then came across them on a eBay ...was like 7 for sale at about $2 bucks each....so bought them all.

Nice part is even id fluid is gone, you have a dandy ferro rod and striker.

Gave most all away...an no one really appreciated them...LOL

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 12:08:25 AM »
I found a coghlan's kit with 6 small tinder cubes at a small general store in the adirondack's. It leaked the fluid and the glue came off the flint which also deteriorated into a fine powder.

Been thinking of one pf the metal ones. Does it light okay? Do you use kerosene or lighter fluid?

Excellent throwback Wolfy. A time I wish I was born in.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 05:31:14 AM »
I guess I'm still a kid at heart, I like to play with fire.  If I had any room left, I would start a lighter collection too!  Maybe I should sell off my collection of antique straight and safety razors?
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 05:47:07 AM »

[/quote]

I also had two of these lighters, one had a fish hook and the other one had two small dice in it.    What I liked about them is that they never liked lighter fluid, until the "O" ring dried up after many years of use.   I bought them at a department store in NJ around 1968.
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 09:55:55 AM »
That's neat. It looks like a mini version my IM Corona pipe lighter, which is also Jpn made.

I found myself making some comments but was not quite sure so I did a quick search for some history.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-lighters-accessories/vintage-styling-and-quality-continued-the-im-corona-old-boy/
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
That's neat. It looks like a mini version my IM Corona pipe lighter, which is also Jpn made.

I found myself making some comments but was not quite sure so I did a quick search for some history.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-lighters-accessories/vintage-styling-and-quality-continued-the-im-corona-old-boy/
Hey very cool link....seems a lot of craftsmanship and design has gone away.......with the throw away Bic and the like.
Thanks for posting.