Author Topic: Some ideas needed to sell two kayaks  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Some ideas needed to sell two kayaks
« on: December 02, 2015, 10:02:25 AM »
A friend has two kayaks he wants to sell.  They are probably 8 years old or so, but have never been in the water.   They have been stored upside down, on a covered porch.  Both would need to be re rigged.
First is a Yellow upper, Venture Sport sit on top ocean kayak.  It's right at 19 feet long, but only 19 inches wide.  Very light weight.  It has a rudder and foot pedels, but they would need to be gone over.
The second is a White Necky Tesla.  It's 17 feet long, 24 inches wide.  It also has foot pedels and a rudder.  It too needs work.  This model is also for open water.  It's a sit inside model, and has a skirt.
I know both of these brands are good, and they are expensive to buy new.  These, while they have never been wet, have age on them, and need all the bungee cords, covers etc replaced.
I am looking for some guidence in pricing them.  The Necky, for example, new, would run around $3600.  The Venture Sport probably about the $2100.
He has two kayak paddles to sell also.  One is a Clifton wooden paddle, the other a Descente carbon fiber paddle.  I have no idea of what these are worth.  I think both might be foreign made.
Neither of these kayaks are for beginners, and they are not really for river paddling.   They are long, skinny, probably unstable kayaks for experts.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: Some ideas needed to sell two kayaks
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
Those are serious speed boats.  You might try Googling FL Competition Paddlers and FL Recreational Paddlers.  I was a member of both many years ago.  They had serious paddlers in both.  You may get some bites and find a fair asking price.

You are correct in that those will be a LOT different than recreational boats.  But I'll bet someone in FL is looking to get into racing (or at least paddling) open water.

I wish I had it in my budget for that surf ski (sit on top).  I'ld love to have one of those.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 10:42:19 AM »
You might want to put them on Ebay as it reaches the widest possible audience.  I just looked and there are a few new ones, probably not the model you have for sale, in the $1600 range. 

There is a used Necky Tesla on one site for $1100.

Try Craigslist in towns in your area.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 11:18:07 AM »
good ideas, and thanks.  I just need some place to start.  The owner is short on info.  He used to paddle when he had his house at Cedar Key.  He traded his old kayaks in on these two, but then sold the house, moved to Miami.  Just never got around to paddling again.
If I could get $6 or $7 hundred for the Necky, I think he would be happy.  I get dibs on the paddles though.  lol