Author Topic: Browser spellcheck not working?  (Read 12731 times)

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
Browser spellcheck not working?
« on: April 21, 2012, 09:07:44 AM »
Anyone have any idea why the native spellcheck in Firefox does not work in this forum?  It works fine on every other page I've tried, just not this one.  It will recognize my poor spelling, but does not give any suggestions when I right-click.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Browser spellcheck not working?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 10:40:33 AM »
It works for me. The only time it doesn't offer suggestions for me is when it isn't close to a word in it's lexicon.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:24:08 PM »
Mine works!
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »
I use spellcheck on here once in a while to catch something that my iPad has 'corrected' for me, making something that I've written sound even more nonsensical than what I usually post :-\.   Some of the words that are suggested are funnier than what's on the jokes thread :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 06:08:45 PM »
Wahat Sepell cehck?
;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 06:47:31 PM »
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 08:11:10 PM »
My FireFox (Version 5....long story), does NOT work here.  Drives me batty, because it has a much bigger library than the resident one, plus I can add words to it. Don't know why it doesn't work, but when you find out let ME know!!!
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
I'm running FF 11.0 and mine works just fine. when your in  editor right clink scroll down to spell check and make sure it is selected below spell check is language select it and a menu will appear select United States/ English it should work then. It worked for me, I think the forum spell checker disables it so you have to reset it in the browser. :shrug:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »
I'm running FF 11.0 and mine works just fine. when your in  editor right clink scroll down to spell check and make sure it is selected below spell check is language select it and a menu will appear select United States/ English it should work then. It worked for me, I think the forum spell checker disables it so you have to reset it in the browser. :shrug:
I'm now using FF 10.0.2. My spell check works for every other blog and forum I visit....except this one (and other running the same software).
Smoke, I'm trying to follow your post to see if my spell checker is disabled here, but I'm kinda lost. When I'm in the editor (right now), if I right click there is NO reference in the menu for any spell check options. It just doesn't show up.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:52:21 AM »
 :shrug: must be a microsoft thing. Mine works if I right click spell check is there about 1/2 way down the menu.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:48 AM »
That's how mine works everywhere else, too.
Maybe this spell check thing is connected to my MS Live Mail issue here. If I click on the post link in my email notification on my computer, it sends me to the top of the thread, not the first unread message. If I go through my mail server account, it works just fine.
But either way, my FF spell checker doesn't even show up in that right-click menu here.

PW, is there a way for an individual to toggle the Board's spell checker on and off? I couldn't find it in any of my options.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
If it isn't an option in your profile settings, it might be a global setting in the admin console. But I wouldn't want to shut it off for everyone... :D

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »
i am also running FF 11 and have no issues.
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »
If it isn't an option in your profile settings, it might be a global setting in the admin console. But I wouldn't want to shut it off for everyone... :D
Not suggesting messing with Global Settings. It's just kinda weird...

For those running FF v11. Is it now compatible with NetFlix?

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »
Whats net flix is that like HULU or Crackle?? OP humor me while your in Editor got to> tools> preferences> advanced> under browsing see if check spelling as I type has a Check mark. If not select it then exit right click and see if it shows up in the menu. If it dose go to language  and select US/English. Then see if it works.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »
Whats net flix is that like HULU or Crackle?? OP humor me while your in Editor got to> tools> preferences> advanced> under browsing see if check spelling as I type has a Check mark. If not select it then exit right click and see if it shows up in the menu. If it dose go to language  and select US/English. Then see if it works.
My Version 10 actually says Tools > Options > Advanced, and on the General Tab I have (and always have had) the spell checker box checked. Like I say, works everywhere except with this Forum software.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 06:19:20 PM »
Log out and clear your cookies then log back in.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »
Log out and clear your cookies then log back in.
Yeah...zip...nada. It hasn't worked since my first login, anyway.

I'm more concerned with not being able to go to the first new post in a subscribed thread from my PC based email program. I have to use gmail to keep from having to scroll through all the posts in a thread to find the one I just received notice of.  A royal PITA, and I don't like having my email (even forum notices) retained on Google for up to a year.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 11:50:01 PM »
i am also running FF 11 and have no issues.
I upgraded to FF v12 tonight, and still no FF Spell Check on the right click dropdown. <scratching head>.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 06:19:00 AM »
Must be something it that Microsoft box, Does it work ok with IE or another browser like Opera?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »
Must be something it that Microsoft box, Does it work ok with IE or another browser like Opera?
The "link to first unread post" doesn't work with IE. Petrifiedwood and I have beat this issue to death in PM. I have the same issue on the parent board for this software.

My ieSpell through IE works here, but has to be manually launched.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 12:17:27 PM »
sounds like a corrupt config sys file.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »
sounds like a corrupt config sys file.
I had a whole response to this, but lost the post. FIO error!  But the bottom line is the FF spell checker works in the Subject window, but not in the text edit box.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 06:16:07 PM »
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/685481?s=spell+check+not+working+on+web+forum&r=15&e=es&as=s
Okay...did the java script thingy, and rebooted the whole comuter.  Nope! No change! But it still works in the Subject window, wanting me to correct "spellcheck".  This is nuts.....

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »
 :shrug: >:(
>:D  :lol:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 10:32:01 PM »

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 11:17:15 AM »
Personally I have never had any issues with it I just updated to version 12  for  kicks may wanna try it seems to run a lot faster  than even before.

?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
Personally I have never had any issues with it I just updated to version 12  for  kicks may wanna try it seems to run a lot faster  than even before.
I upgraded to V12.0 during the course of the last few posts. Don't see much difference. From the errata sheet, the main issues were security improvements.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 04:51:40 PM »
I upgraded to V12.0 during the course of the last few posts. Don't see much difference. From the errata sheet, the main issues were security improvements.

Yep  pretty much same thing I had version 9 lol  but  it was  running  kinda crappy at times now runs good after updating flash etc
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~