Author Topic: NATIONAL MAMMAL: BISON?  (Read 6875 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
NATIONAL MAMMAL: BISON?
« on: December 05, 2015, 07:23:12 PM »
I saw this in the paper this morning.  FINALLY, they could all agree on something worthwhile.  I love the American Bison.......a noble beast if there ever was one!  We still call 'em 'BUFFALO,' even if they ain't!  ;)

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/3896938-bison-possibly-become-countrys-first-national-mammal
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: NATIONAL MAMMAL: BISON?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
I'll drink to that.

Somewhat ironic if an animal hunted to near extinction becomes our national animal.  I hope it does.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 07:39:08 PM »
So do I. :banana:

Offline vonrichthofen

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »
I would love to see the American Bison or the Gray Wolf become the national mammal.  It's pretty sad what we've done to the great buffalo herds that once freely roamed our country.
"In a city rich with monuments commemorating a nation, the one that stands above all others is a dented green wall 37 feet tall, 240 feet long, and some 310 feet from home plate down the left field line."

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 09:06:32 PM »
I still vote for the big shaggy......uniquel y AMERICAN and it can kick a wolf's ass! :lol:

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 08:29:43 AM »
Sounds good to me. The ones around here are quite agile. I've never ridden one though.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 08:47:14 AM »
i think it would be fitting. our national symbol recognizing how we destroyed an entire culture for our greed and sense of entitlement. not to mention how wasteful we were by only keeping hides and tongues.

i think that would represent us very well.
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 03:19:25 PM »
and as an added benefit, they are damn tasty.   :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »
Yes, they are.....Heather & I treat ourselves to a buffalo ribeye every year in the Post dining room at Nebraska's Fort Robinson State Park, near Chadron.  All the buffalo they serve there at the park comes from the herd that grazes on the neighboring Valentine Wildlife Refuge.   Otherwise, we settle for the ground buffalo meat here at home......REAL good, as long as it's not over cooked.....then it turns to rubber.  >:(

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 05:56:09 PM »
i think it would be fitting. our national symbol recognizing how we destroyed an entire culture for our greed and sense of entitlement. not to mention how wasteful we were by only keeping hides and tongues.

i think that would represent us very well.

But in a good way, right.  8)
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »
Ted Turner is the largest landowner in the state of Nebraska and all those acres are dedicated to raising buffalo.  Almost every Indian reservation in the state also raises and maintains their own herds and there are many private herds, also.....there are no shortages. :banana:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 07:49:14 PM »
South Dakota has a lot of private herds, some pretty large.  They also have Custer State Park's herd which is big.  They auction some off every year.  It is a big event with people coming here from all over the country to see the roundup.  They sure do taste good.  I have been to Fort Robinson but missed the Ribeye.   :shrug: Maybe next time.

I went up north to an auction several years ago.  It was on a private ranch.  They are difficult animals to work and it was more fun watching them try to get them in the alley and into the sale corner than the auction itself.  I admire their toughness. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 07:53:34 PM »
Have you ever been to the roundup at CSP, Stan? 

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 10:15:45 AM »
I deliver to a very small warehouse in Norwood NY. They have about 20 of them. I asked about the older ones and how quckly the herd seemed to populate. Being a dairyman I knew the beef routine.  1-2 years max.

They explained that they can be 5 years or older and the meat doesn't get tougher with age. They pick one a year to butcher.

I forget the name of the place bu it is in Franklin county way up north. Tiny village. Here's a goggle map link  if it works. Very cool to see. I couldn't pet any of them but they seem so friendly and docile. Unlike back in the day...

It worked. Scan out slowly to see their location. I go there with a 53' refer trailer. GCFOODS.COM.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7526462,-74.9606024,532m/data=!3m1!1e3
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 09:47:10 AM »

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 11:07:08 AM »
Bison, good choice.
Ours is a beaver, which, although not a bad choice (industrious, smart, etc), I always wished Canada had gone for the moose.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 02:02:40 PM »
Somewhat in the same vein.  Bison related, anyway.  First wild bred wood bison (bigger cousin to the plains bison) in over 100 years.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/04/26/first-wild-bred-wood-bison-calf-spotted-nature/
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 07:59:41 PM »
Oh, crap! I totally forgot. A native band in the US has imported almost 100 Buffalo from Elk Island National Park in Alberta. Kicker is, the herd originally came from the States 100 years ago.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2602549/89-elk-island-bison-heading-home-to-montana-indian-reservation/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 08:13:30 PM »
This is all good news, guys......I'm really glad to hear there are some sincere efforts out there to keep these genetically pure herds maintaining and growing in size! :thumbsup:

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
NATIONAL MAMMAL: BISON?
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 08:18:10 PM »
Yeah Wolfy, cool eh?
I'd heard an interview on CBC last week with the Band Chief. He told about his grandparents telling the kids about the last of the Buffalo. His so hopeful that this new beginning will change how his people view themselves and how they are viewed. He sounded like one really smart dude.
He did question the sanity of the guys who would be corralling the buffs into the stock trailers though. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 06:27:59 AM »
They are something else to see in person.  One of my bison stories was in Yellowstone. Big surprise huh?  I can't remember which campground we were in but we had a front row seat to a big field with a river running through it.  The bison were all over the field.  The host and rangers did their best to keep the eager amateur photographers away from the bison.  The next morning I started stepping out of the RV and the herd had meandered into the campground.  Kelly and I climbed up to the roof and watched as the campers woke up and began "interacting" with the bison.  I finally got down and left.  I just didn't want to see some ignorant being stomped and ragdolled.  I didn't see the legendary idiot putting his kid on one for a pic but it wouldn't have surprised me one bit.

I can't imagine watching a herd go by for days.  Wow.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 06:46:35 AM »
I visited my GF when she was living in Edmonton, Alberta. She took me and a friend to Elk Island National Park to see them. I was cautious just having my picture taken with them in the background 100m away.
As we were leaving, part of the herd was crossing the road: we had to wait for over an hour in order to proceed.
They were damn near as big as my GF's VW Rabbit and we certainly weren't getting out to shoo them.
She said she'd seen people do that in the past. Sheesh

A few days later she took me up to Banff National Park. As we entered the town of Banff Springs, traffic ground to a hault. I wondered if there was an accident and she replied, it was probably stupid tourists taking pics of a grizz or an elk. Sure enough when we got up to the spot, these folks were stopping their cars right on the road and crossing over to come within only a few meters of a big buck elk. It was terrifying to watch.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 08:07:26 AM »
Off of US 64 between cimarron nm and raton nm is part of ted turner's ranch which has a large herd of bison, they calf around mother's day. I parked on the shoulder and was watching and then was invited inside the fence by a couple of the workers. We stayed about twenty or so yards away and watched. That area has three large operations that work together to manage the area, the Carson national forest, the CS ranch, and Vermejo park. The Carson forest park is called the Valle Vidal, an amazing area, so much wildlife. You always know when the Buffalo are around, they leave "pies" the size of trash can lids, lol.

I highly recommend a visit to the Valle Vidal, and stay at mccrystal creek campground, but avoid the campground after the beginning of June, it is saturated with boy scouts waiting their turn at philmont. There are not enough sedatives in the world to keep those kids quiet. Who can blame them, they are about to experience the greatest scout camp in the world.
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 04:43:43 PM »
I have been around them in Yellowstone a time of two but it has been awhile.  I have a healthy respect for them.

There are a few buffalo ranches in the area I live and the pens and alleys they use when they are working them are incredibly stout and expensive.  They push them down the alley with a tractor that has a panel on it the width of the alley.  When they get them in the chute they work quick and get them out.  They are so agile they can spin on a dime.  Many a rancher and ranch hand gets the short end of the stick if they make a mistake with them.  One fellow I know who works the buffalo on a ranch up in Harding County said you just keep taking away their options until they go where you want them to go.   :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 06:54:57 PM »
I've told the story too many times of how a buff attacked my tarp and jumped over me while camping in the Wichita mts. The next night I was determined to sleep soundly so spent a lot of time looking for spots I didn't think they could get to. No matter how boulder chocked or steep the climb was there were always a few clumps of grass and buffalo poop on top of every hill. Very agile indeed.

I've seen a lot of people approach way too close on purpose. It's also easy to be on a trail there and walk around a bend or large Boulder and find yourself face to face with longhorn, or buffalo.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 07:08:33 PM »
Yes, they are.....Heather & I treat ourselves to a buffalo ribeye every year in the Post dining room at Nebraska's Fort Robinson State Park, near Chadron.  All the buffalo they serve there at the park comes from the herd that grazes on the neighboring Valentine Wildlife Refuge.   Otherwise, we settle for the ground buffalo meat here at home......REAL good, as long as it's not over cooked.....then it turns to rubber.  >:(

Wolfy!  You eat the national mammal?  Dang, next you are going to be sharing your DO recipe for Bald Eagle!
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 07:15:27 PM »
I don't have a recipe for bald eagles, QC.......they taste too much like snow geese to suit me. :puke:

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 08:30:45 PM »
I thought they tasted more like Spotted Owl.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline abo4ster

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Master Woodsman
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 05:24:05 PM »
Sorry, couldn't resist...

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 05:35:26 PM »
Thanks, Chris. :[   I guess it proves one thing I said was right....a buffalo CAN kick a wolf's ass! :cheers:

......OR another buffalo's ass. :duel:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:52:52 PM by wolfy »

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 06:04:20 PM »
does all this mean that I won't be able to buy Bison steaks anymore? 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 06:14:11 PM »
Just means they will cost more.
(Mark Twain)

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2016, 05:52:50 PM »
:thumbsup: I like it :). The bison is also symbolised on the National Park Service arrowhead and represents conservation as well as Native heritage.
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2016, 06:00:06 PM »
If it does become the National Mammal, I hope they bring back the old $10 'buffalo note,' too.....

http://www.oldcurrencyvalues.com/1901_10_bison_buffalo.html   :banana:

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2016, 10:39:36 PM »
I've eaten bison before. Cabelas sells burgers but there's also a place down near Quakertown that raises em and has a store where you can buy anything from pounds of choice cut or ground grassfed buffalo meat to the winter hides. Neat place. Went there as a teenager. IIRC bison meat is a lot like venison or grassfed beef, you have to cook it low and slow or else add some kind of fat.
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 09:10:57 AM »
According to an article in this morning's OMAHA WORLD HERALD, after passing both houses of Congress, President Obama signed the bill making the bison the new National Mammal!  :banana:

It's also somewhat ironic, in that this signing marks the only time I've ever agreed with him on anything! :lol:

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
:rofl:

You and me both, brother!
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »
Heather brought this short, but well done film on The National Mammal to my attention yesterday.   It came from the NEBRASKA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION NETWORK and has great footage of some typical NEBRASKA Sandhills scenery and pure-strain bison herds.  There is also some bison artwork and photography from some of the well known plains artists & photographers of the period displayed.  Well worth your time to watch and enjoy.  Not too bad and WOLFY APPROVED! :thumbsup:

http://netnebraska.org/interactive-multimedia/culture/return-american-bison

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2018, 10:16:04 AM »
Excellent video.  Thanks, wolfy!  :thumbsup:
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2018, 10:28:11 AM »
Nice video Wolfy.  South Dakota has a large number of Bison ranches and the annual Custer Roundup is a big time tourist attraction.  A fellow I know who used to work some of the private sales of the critters said they are easier to work if you take away their options.  He meant stout corrals, narrow alleys, and a good tractor with a special front end designed to move them down the alley to where they don't want to go. 

Hornaday was an interesting person.  He was guided on one of his trips into the west by the Montana photographer L A Huffman and there are several photos from that trip in some of the books I have. 

Dan O'Brien is a good writer and his book "Buffalo for the Broken Heart" is a good read.  It is about restoring  life to a ranch.

Here is a link to O'Brien's books.  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/86661.Dan_O_Brien >:D
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »
I'm glad to hear you guys enjoyed that little video.....I thought it was very well done, too.   I have not read O'Brien's books, but you KNOW I will be!  I do have both of the the L.A. Huffman books published on his photographs from up around Miles City and Fort Keogh.  It's too bad that he died nearly penniless after recording the end of the heyday of the Plains Indian tribes, the end of the cowboys & cattle drives from Texas to Montana and the American Bison.  If anyone is interested in those two volumes, THE FRONTIER YEARS and BEFORE BARBED WIRE, they can usually be picked up on eBay for very reasonable prices.....filled with glass-plate photos of extremely good quality taken at the end of an era in the march toward 'manifest destiny.' :-\

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2018, 08:17:18 PM »
One of my favorite Huffman photographs is the one of Spotted Eagle's camp of hostile Sioux.  Last one I saw sell at auction in Broadus Montana went for around $4500.00 as it was a genuine Huffman printed photo, not the later lithographs.

It is a shame he had financial trouble near the end of his life. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2018, 09:08:03 AM »
This is a copy of a review of Brown & Felton's original Huffman books.....a good description and advice on which editions are best.  My dad had signed 1st editions that were given to him by his sister for Christmas in 1956.  Although not as sharp and with smaller, but COLORED images, I purchased Larry Len Petersen's companion volume L.A. HUFFMAN: PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE AMERICAN WEST from an eBay supplier who accepted my lowball bid of $15 yesterday in a 'buy it now or best offer' deal.  I'll let you know what I think of it. :coffee:

Mark H. Brown and W. R. Felton wrote two well-researched accounts of the photographs of Laton Alton Huffman (1854-1931): "The Frontier Years" in 1955 and "Before Barbed Wire" in 1956. Both books are delightful reading, providing rare insights into the stories behind Huffman's superb photos and the daily life of old west pioneers before the arrival of railroads and wire fences.

The books contain rare and fascinating visual documentation of the American west. The earlier book, "The Frontier Years," focuses on the soldiers, Indians, buffalo hunters and early inhabitants of eastern Montana. The second book, "Before Barbed Wire," is probably the single best collection of photos capturing the life of early ranchers on the open range. With the "eye of an artist and the perspective of a historian," Huffman accurately preserved the American west of an earlier time.

Huffman came to Montana Territory in 1879 as post-photographer at Fort Keogh, near the current Miles City. This military fort was established two years earlier in 1876, after the stunning Indian annihilation of all of Custer's troops at the Battle of the Little Big Horn. From this primitive headquarters, General Nelson Miles lead the final campaigns against the Sioux and Northern Cheyenne Indians.

Huffman started photographing the soldiers, the buffalo hunters, and soon the gamblers, the drinkers, the bounty hunters and others in and near Milestown. Huffman became friends with area Indians, and his clear and well composed Indian portraits rank among the very best in American history. Huffman's interest expanded to include area ranchers and their homes and environment.

His early photographs were taken with a bulky, home-built camera that used fragile glass plate negatives. Huffman's preservation of the early years of frontier life reflected his love for the rugged inhabitants and their land.

Each book contains stories of a bygone era documented by 125 superb photographs. Note: The quality of the photographs is a wee bit sharper in the original volumes published by Henry Holt than in the reprint editions from Bramhall House.

To correct comments stated in the reader's review from 2004, the following background data is provided.

Authors Felton and Brown visited Miles City, Montana, in the winter of 1950-51 and had photographer Jack Coffrin print pictures from Huffman's negatives. These photographs later became the illustrations for "The Frontier Years" and "Before Barbed Wire."

In 1964, Jack Coffrin, under a lease from L.A. Huffman's daughter, moved all 1300+ Huffman negatives to his studio in Miles City and started Coffrin's Old West Gallery. The business specialized in creating photographs and other printed materials from the original Huffman negatives.

In late 1980, Jack Coffrin sold the Old West Gallery. Before the sale, Coffrin made two sets of copy negatives of most, but not all, of Huffman's negatives.

Coffrin returned the original negatives to the Huffman estate in 1980 and they were donated in 1982 to the Montana State Historical Society. This means that the last significant quantities of photographs made from Huffman's original negatives were produced in 1980 by Coffrin's Old West Gallery in Miles City. (Note: In traditional photography, a copy negative has some loss of detail and dynamic range. Still, photographs made from the copy negatives can be quite excellent.)

One set of copy negatives is used by the Old West Gallery, currently (12/06) in Bozeman, MT, and the other set of copy negatives remains in the Coffrin family.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »
7 generations back, grandfather,  followed the last seen herd of woodland buffalo from a bald near Robbinsville NC into Tenn and thru a cap near todays  cumberland mountain state park/ Crossville Tn. My cousin has a copy of the news paper that posted the story. Don't remember the year.

Chief Nathan Cherokee Cheesequire KIRKLAND also as Tse s, 1750 - 1851
Chief Nathan Cherokee Cheesequire KIRKLAND also as Tse s was born in 1750, at birth place, North Carolina.
Chief had one brother: Richard Kirkland.
Chief married Rachel Lillie Berry KIRKLAND also as Tse s (born Faw) on month day 1838, at age 88.
Rachel was born in 1758, in Polk Co, TN.
Her occupation was Cherokee Indian Maiden.
They had 17 children: James Altonia Jonas Madison Kirkland Sr, John Jackson Kirkland and 15 other children.
Chief passed away in 1851, at age 101 at death place, Tennessee.
He was buried at burial place, North Carolina
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2018, 10:22:01 AM »
VERY COOL family history there! :thumbsup:   Your post prompted a google-search on NC bison and their demise in the region.  This came up, which I found interesting, too.....

https://smokymountainnews.com/news/item/2478-where-the-buffalo-roam

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »
Thanks Craig, I've got to find my copy of the news paper that wrote the interview and get the date, pretty sure it was in the 1800. but if I remember right it talked about how much larger these woodland bison were that migrated to the mountains each year.
It listed the year and stated they never returned. Lots of folks were going thru the cumberland region heading west during that time.
Also if you read up on the Bushwhackers one of the worst was Ol' Chief Kirkland's Son.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2018, 12:37:25 PM »
7 generations back, grandfather,  followed the last seen herd of woodland buffalo from a bald near Robbinsville NC into Tenn and thru a cap near todays  cumberland mountain state park/ Crossville Tn. My cousin has a copy of the news paper that posted the story. Don't remember the year.

Chief Nathan Cherokee Cheesequire KIRKLAND also as Tse s, 1750 - 1851
Chief Nathan Cherokee Cheesequire KIRKLAND also as Tse s was born in 1750, at birth place, North Carolina.
Chief had one brother: Richard Kirkland.
Chief married Rachel Lillie Berry KIRKLAND also as Tse s (born Faw) on month day 1838, at age 88.
Rachel was born in 1758, in Polk Co, TN.
Her occupation was Cherokee Indian Maiden.
They had 17 children: James Altonia Jonas Madison Kirkland Sr, John Jackson Kirkland and 15 other children.
Chief passed away in 1851, at age 101 at death place, Tennessee.
He was buried at burial place, North Carolina

Thanks for sharing that Graylon.  You don't talk much about it.  I like to hear/read history of that area. 
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2018, 03:27:10 PM »
Thanks Craig, I've got to find my copy of the news paper that wrote the interview and get the date, pretty sure it was in the 1800. but if I remember right it talked about how much larger these woodland bison were that migrated to the mountains each year.
It listed the year and stated they never returned. Lots of folks were going thru the cumberland region heading west during that time.
Also if you read up on the Bushwhackers one of the worst was Ol' Chief Kirkland's Son.
If you can find some way of reproducing that article, I sure would be interested in reading it, Graylan!  That KIRKLAND name piques my interest, too,.....I'm wondering if you might be related to Turner Kirkland, the founder of Dixie Gun Works in Union City, TN? :shrug: