Author Topic: Schrade...  (Read 9703 times)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
Schrade...
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:32:45 PM »
anyone own any modern Schrades? I'm looking at a couple design I like but I'm wondering about their HT and oal quality. I know someone mentioned the hollow handle one on another thread, just wanted some more input.  thanks.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: Schrade...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »
I think most if not all are made in chine now. Made in America is cool with me...when I can buy that way.
Axes Rock!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »
I have a couple of the hollow handle ones and they are pretty robust.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »
regardless of where they are made now, the Taylor Brands company that bought Schrade is a good company, and their customer service rivals any reputable american manufacturer. i say if you like it, go for it. if you have issues with the knife down the road, take comfort in knowing that their warranty is very similar to Buck Knives, and usually replacement is issued with no questions asked :thumbsup:
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 06:18:20 AM »
I picked up a SCHF1 one peice china clone on a trade from a guy. I contacted them and they wanted to see the knife. I let them keep the clone and they sent me 2 real ones in exchange. Nice people and nice quality. I love their hollow handle models.
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline Fire Steel 703

• Whetstone +
  • Member #46
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 08:18:21 AM »
I've been going back and forth about getting the Schrade-SCHF9-Extreme-Survival.  Pretty darn good price for a big hunk of 1095.  Now with what Red said about their warranty, I might have to pull the trigger.

http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF9-Extreme-Survival-Carbon/dp/B0033H7VI6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335449335&sr=8-1
The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF3N-Extreme-Survival-Fixed/dp/B0035ELWS2/ref=pd_sim_hi_4
im likin this one.

trent has one of these for sale in the classifieds right now with custom hardwood handles :thumbsup:
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »
I'll second Red's post about Taylor Brands' customer service.

I ordered a knife through their internet outlet and they shipped a clip point instead of a spear point. When I emailed and griped about the error, Taylor himself responded that he was sending the correct knife, along with 2 other knives and a tactical pen for my trouble, and instructed me to keep the knife they sent in error! I was floored!

They really are interested in keeping their customers happy. And I will relate my awesome customer service experience with Taylor Brands any chance I get. It's the least I can do for a company that went above and beyond to make it right.

Offline Thaddius Bickerton

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 11:46:12 PM »
I own a few of the ones that I bought during the 80's.  None have been used lately though.  Guess I ought to dig em out and play with em so they don't get lonely.

I'd like to hear about how some of the new ones measure up if anyone posts up any pics / reviews.

Thad

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 01:12:03 PM »
I don't want to resurrect an old thread and this one is older than mine. I think this one was left unanswered so I will bring it back and up to date.

I have been using my schf9 for a year now. I baton with it mostly. It is still very sharp (not shaving) and no dings in the edge at all. I'm extremely happy with it. See what I did there?
 Here is my first post about this knife when new.
http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=4525.msg79766#msg79766

They now have an schf38 that I really like the looks of. Even more enticing is the diamond stone and ferro rod that come with it. I really like the blades point.
Anyone purchase one of these? The 37 is an inch bigger but the point is different. the 36 is shorter.
http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SCHF38/schrade-schf38-frontier-fixed-black-blade-tpe-handles-nylon-sheath-ferro-rod-sharpening-stone

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 01:17:05 PM »
I like the looks and the specs, all except the 1/4" thick. I'd prefer it in 3/16" or keep the 1/4" but go with a full flat grind.

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 04:34:44 PM »
  I have not purchaed one, but I intend to soon.

A friend of mine got the larger one, and just a couple things to know....

1. The coating is not like the SCHF9, it is not so sticky...only meant to protect the blade in shipping, not as a permanent coating

2. They are thick knives, 1/4" I think....I mean it is a CHUNK of steel. Pretty sure you'll be OK with that after the SCHF9

3. The diamond sharpener was bent in my friends, and I guess others have had that problem. You can bend it back, but you know...there will always be a subtle warp in it.

4. The sharpener and ferro rod both work just fine.

5. I am a HUGE fan of these knives. For the price, I mean....wow, they are amazing.

I am actually waiting for the SCHF43 to release. That is the one that may replace my BK9 as my heavy warhorse. That will be one gaudy piece of steel for sure, but nothing else like it on the market.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 08:07:34 PM »
When I bought my SCHF37 at the start of May I added a SCHF26 to the order to test the steel. I already had a pocket knife in 8cr13mov so I knew for a fact every single word I read online about it was wrong. In the much larger and thicker blade the 8cr13mov has once again proven the internet experts completely wrong. My goal is still to break this blade and recently use has become more demanding. After yesterday I have concluded it is not going to break, crack, bend or chip. Yesterday I put a log sideways so I could pound the blade in more so more spine was sticking out to smack it through a log to split it and I heard it smack a rock under the dirt. Knocked a nice little chip out, of the rock. Tip was slightly dulled and easily fixed.

The 1095 SCHF37 does just as good. Bottom line is if you read anything negative about these big thick Schrade blades, the person is less than experienced with the blades. I have not sharpened it in a long time to test edge retention and the past three fires have burned for 3, 4, and another fire last night for 4 hours. All wood split with the SCHF26 with feathering to start done with it along with playing around with it while the fire burned. It right now with no touch ups still shaves hair. The coating on the SCHF26 is also the most durable I have seen on any brand at any price.

You get way more than what you pay for them, way more. The two cost less than the next just as tough knife costs for one. Only draw back to 8cr13mov is it will rust ever so slightly if flat out abused and yesterday after constant use trying to break it since the start of May, I noticed a tiny very light surface rust spot that started right where the grind ends and goes into the hollow part of the grind.

That steel by Schrade is so much better than what the Internet commando experts claim it is. Don't listen to the web, don't even listen to me. Buy your own and see for yourself.

Split a pile of honey locust that day, that stuff makes the driest toughest oak look like a soft wood.

I use it in my Tweener roll now.

Wife heard me complaining about the hard woods being dominant around us and how it eats up my puukkos so she got me a puukko sized tough blade for Father's Day. It's on the belt when I head out. Perfect puukko roll knife where I live now. I miss softer woods lol. She buys me guns too, and is a spectacular cook. Sure am glad she got me the Ontario falcon though. Too tough and holds a great edge in hard wood it thinks it is much larger than it is.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 03:21:03 PM »
  For what it's worth at this point,  I have a Schrade Folder that I bought off Amazon for about $25.00 bucks,  it's called their Buzz Saw,  it's a Trapper Model folder with a traditional trapper main blade and a wood saw blade that frame locks,  I had seen a friend using a Case made the same way but when I found one at BassPro the asking price was $74.99,  eighty bucks for a folding knife that will be used mostly for cleaning small game is a bit rich for my blood.
  A short time later I happened to watch a Video by Mike Barton from Bushcraft Bartons U-tube channel,  Mike's a good down to earth guy,  he and his wife Josey do some nice buchcraft videos,  I highly recommend giving them a looksee,  anyway, Mike had a couple of Schrade Knives that someone sent him that he was reviewing,  one of them was the folding Buzz Saw Trapper,  Mike used the saw blade to cut through a 2" thick dried spruce bow,  then used the knife blade to make some shavings and curls for tinder,  I was impressed with the looks and function of the knife in the video and when my caring wife asked me if I wanted anything for about $20.00 on Amazon (she had a return credit) I jumped on the Buzzsaw trapper.
  I've had it now since the end of March,  it hasn't cleaned any squirrel yet,  but it has done some carving,  some feather sticks,  the saw is really aggressive and makes pretty quick work of making notches,  I've used it a little in the kitchen processing beef and chicken and cutting veggies.
  It is a well made knife, fit a finish are excellent,  it came through sharp but a quick pass on some 1200 grit sand paper and a leather strop took the little bit of roughness off the edge finish,  I have other Stainless folders that take a good edge,  but only two that are as good of better than the Schrade trapper, one is my 1970's Buck 110 hunter,  the other is my vintage Gerber lock back hunter made about the same time as the Buck.
  I like that it's stainless,  my last two folders are Case USA made knives, both are carbon and both rust at the smallest amount of humidity,  I've used the Schrade Trapper to bone a Chuck Potroast and take a chicken apart,  it did great and clean up was simple,  a little Dawn dish soap and a rinse in scalding water followed by a couple of drops of mineral oil and it was ready for the next go around.

New Schrade cutlery is OK in my book.      :thumbsup: 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 03:29:38 PM »
  Old topic Moe! Good one though.
;) 

I don't have any newer ones, all of mine are over 30 years old, but I like them & carried them as a pocket knife( various models/sizes) for many years as a young man. I also have one my dad carried for many years. I also have a Sharpfinger I use for small game & upland burds & water fowl. Even used it on a turkey one time.

They were good back then & I still have them, but the folders are destined to be given to my sons, or grandboyswhen the time comes.
 :)

I am gonna go look at this Buzz Saw one Moe just mentioned though & I will keep coming back to check on this topic if it gets posted in again.... I missed it before I think, for some reason... Or, I just don't remember seeing it. LOL Anheusers maybe. < & yes I spelled it right if ya get the joke.
 ;)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 04:01:20 PM »
I have the 9. I have been using it in the house for two years splitting down wood for the stove. I have beat the snot out of it with a 2" maple branch. The maple is heavily worn. No issues with the edge at all. no chipping, curving, cracking, or even dulling really. I've never abused a knife like this. It just won't break. Maple, hickory, even oak. It does an excellent job splitting everything down to kindling.

I'm really liking the new SCHF37. I may grab one.

Here is a new picture of the back and edge...

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
Gave my oldest son his birthday present SCHF36 today. We went out and he immediately put it to the test. As expected the blade is tough and like its big brother SCHF37 I have it holds its edge a long time. He batoned chopped and sliced for an hour and it easily made feathers on a stick fast. May not be the latest greatest stooper steel but it don't need it. If you aren't worried about impressing people online and don't mind bland highly functional extremely tough scales and want it to get work done with no complaints or high levels of maintenance, these blades really are for you.

I like my Ontario Falcon a lot. Super tough steel on a stubby blade and gets work done but the SCHF36 is easily a better knife overall.

New custom finish posing with the bigger brother F37

Trying to find a flaw in the blade, couldn't pound out any troubles

Don't laugh at this next pic. I put a fallkniven F1 through a twisted log like that last year from the same patch of woods and it put a permanent wave in the edge. Great sod buster duty knife now.

Pretty sure he did a good job tonight testing its limits. He knows what to do but a few miss hits and large knotted log tonight couldn't bring out any flaws in materials. The powder coat is more rough than my F37 came with and is of better quality too. He still wore a lot of it off. One thing I did notice is it does chop better than expected with its shallow hollow grind, that also helps out with finer work, but still retains strength behind the edge. Great geometry on the F36 and 37.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 04:40:07 PM »
 They don't have the following that a lot of other manufacturers have as far as this kind of knife is concerned. But performance and popularity are two different things. They look like tough knives to me.

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 06:33:18 PM »
They don't have the following that a lot of other manufacturers have as far as this kind of knife is concerned. But performance and popularity are two different things. They look like tough knives to me.

The Schrade SCHF36 won people's choice award by a land slide this year. Handle one and you will know why. There is a a following and it has exploded in the past year. About a year ago I first handled one of their big blades, then everyone started buying them that I know. Played with plenty before I bought one.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 08:32:09 PM »
I have had an SCHF1 for about 4 or 5 years now. Didn't realise they were getting recognition.

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 07:59:15 PM »
Modified my SCHF26 sheath today to an adjustable snap retention strap from the crappy Velcro one. fabricated a strap to the exact specs of the SCHF37 and I put it on.

Better positive retention now. I'm not a large blade stainless fan but this blade has changed my mind for this one. It gets a pass. Super strong and holds its edge great. It earned the sheath mod.

Offline arngmechanic

• Whetstone +
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 05:12:24 PM »
I have the schf9 and I like it. The only thing I need to do I redo the scales. The swell is too much for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk