Author Topic: Short Cold Hike  (Read 2453 times)

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
Short Cold Hike
« on: January 10, 2016, 05:24:34 PM »
 When I got up this morning it was about -21F and I didn't think I was going out, but I got restless.  By the time I got my stuff together it had warmed up to -7F I got out for a couple hours today, I went for a short hike around an grove of oaks that grow in a river drainage near the house.  According to the Weather Channel on my phone, the windchill was still around -18.  My goal was to start a splitwood fire with some fatwood as tinder, using the shango notch on my TOPS BOB to strike a firesteel. 

I ordered and received a dangler leather sheath from Hand Sewn Leather, and replaced the magnesium firesteel with a LMF Army type that I put a small handle made of a moose antler tip.  The knife is very comfortable for making shavings, and thick enough to baton well.  I can throw sparks pretty good with the LMF around the house, but it was more difficult in the cold, with gloves on kneeling in the snow.  With some practice, I'll get the hang of it.  I used my Corona saw to cut some dead branches for a base, and I brought two pieces of very dry pine with me to split up for kindling.  After I got the kindling split up, I made scrapin's from a small piece of fatwood, and promptly knocked it apart in the snow.  So I had to make the scrapin's a second time.   After that I got the fire going pretty fast. 

I didn't see any wildlife except a red squirrel that seemed interested in what I was doing.  Here's some photos of the area and fire.

And then when I got home....

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
Re: Short Cold Hike
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »
Looks like a great trip! I'm probably the only Connecticut to Florida transplant that dearly misses the snow. I liked the layout of the land in the pictures. It looks like a promising spot for deer. I may have missed it but do you have a picture of the moose antler tipped fire steel? I'd love to see it.
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 05:56:50 PM »
Wes, sounds like real world bushcraft.  Nice knife, I have not taken mine out yet.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 06:04:30 PM »
Looks like a great trip! I'm probably the only Connecticut to Florida transplant that dearly misses the snow. I liked the layout of the land in the pictures. It looks like a promising spot for deer. I may have missed it but do you have a picture of the moose antler tipped fire steel? I'd love to see it.

Here are some pictures of the firesteel as I was putting it together:

It came from a small antler I found, I should have made it slightly longer for better grip, but it's ok.  Wes

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 06:06:52 PM »
Wes, sounds like real world bushcraft.  Nice knife, I have not taken mine out yet.

Thanks!  I think it's going to be a really good tool for it's intended purpose.  It'll be fun to keep "testing"!

Wes

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »
Looked like a great time to me!  I wish I had some snow and to get out in.  That kit looked good and so did the fire.  glad you got out Wes!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 10:45:56 AM »
Wes, if that's a Woolrich Alaskan shirt that you're wearing there in that 'selfie,' I have (had, actually) one just like it.  It's pretty well worn out now, but I could only 'layer' with mine, meaning wearing something underneath, so I could take it off when coming indoors for any length of time......just too danged warm for constant wear in a heated environment.  I discovered that 'shortcoming' when it was brand-new and I wore it to a gunshow for the first time.....had to buy a tee-shirt from one of the dealers to change into to keep from roasting to death. :P
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 11:44:39 AM »
I'll bet that T Shirt looked good under them bib overalls too.   ???
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline WesinND

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 01:56:26 PM »
Wes, if that's a Woolrich Alaskan shirt that you're wearing there in that 'selfie,' I have (had, actually) one just like it.  It's pretty well worn out now, but I could only 'layer' with mine, meaning wearing something underneath, so I could take it off when coming indoors for any length of time......just too danged warm for constant wear in a heated environment.  I discovered that 'shortcoming' when it was brand-new and I wore it to a gunshow for the first time.....had to buy a tee-shirt from one of the dealers to change into to keep from roasting to death. :P

I do have an Woolrich Alaskan shirt on in the photo, the green shirt, then I have a Bemidji Woolen Mills vest and a Bemidji Woolen Mills shirt, the gray one, over everything.  The green one is getting thinner than it was but I still don't use it unless I'm going to be outside.  You're right they are very warm.  I used to have an old M1950 Army wool shirt that was a favorite, but it gave up the ghost a few years back.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
I'll bet that T Shirt looked good under them bib overalls too.   ???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver