Author Topic: Home made dowel maker  (Read 6065 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Home made dowel maker
« on: January 11, 2016, 06:09:11 PM »

Pretty awesome!

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
Re: Home made dowel maker
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 06:20:39 PM »
Pretty cool.....
I used to chuck up the 3/8 drill in a vice as kinda a lath.....but this is a good idea.
Thanks for posting.
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 08:04:34 PM »
I might try to think of a safer way to use the drill press. There's a real simple router jig you can make using a straight bit and drill motor to spin the square blank.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 08:13:37 PM »
That is pretty neat and fairly simple as well. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:39:15 PM »
That is a pretty good idea, but you can do it even more simply.   Just take the corners off the stick like he did and then whittle one end just enough to get it started into a hole in the steel that is the desired size of the finished dowel.....now, take your 3 pound hammer and tap it through until it emerges completely as a finished extruded dowel.   I used a straight-grained stick of hickory to make a ramrod for a muzzleloader that way when I couldn't get the proper sized one that didn't have knots or cross-grain in it from my supplier.  I think I did sand it a bit, but it came out of the hole pretty danged smooth without much additional work.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 10:02:24 PM »
some smartellic might say; yyeahhbut with a dowel plate ya cant pound a 4 foot x 1/4" dowel through it.

maybe ya cant's, but you can pull it through. If you have an immovable object like a stout, firmly set post to clamp it to and maybe a pair VG's. A fancy dowel plate will have incremental holes for each size you want to produce and counter bore is nice
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 10:16:52 PM »
That's funny you should mention that, Unk......I actually did have my brother pulling on the end with a pair of ViseGrips, but it took more force than just pulling.  With me nudging it along with the hammer, it went much easier......teamwor k saved the day! :cheers:

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 04:01:27 AM »
That was awesome! Yup gotta make one

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 10:36:42 AM »
http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/craft-supplies/dowels-wooden-pins-plugs/3-8-x-48-poplar-dowel/p-1444438760834-c-12188.htm?tid=-3971279899515321773

Just saying......LOL

Yep.  Seems like a lot of time and trouble when I can just run down to the hardware store.  Not to mention, I don't have all the fancy wood working equipment it apparently takes to roll my own nor do I find myself in need of a lot of wooden dowels.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 11:30:39 AM »
Hunter's post was timely.  I was asking myself the same question.  I once forged a steel trowel with integral handle from a 1/4" x 2" x 5" piece of A36 plate.  Took me all day and the gas for the forge cost about $10.00.  So why did I do it?  Hell, I don't know.  Just cuz I could I guess.  I can see the idea of making dowel rods from exotic woods that are not normally available in dowel form, though, like Wolfy mentioned.  Otherwise, I have the Big Box stores and the hobby stores to supply it.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 12:15:49 PM »
I wasn't trying to be  smart azz......but like to choose my battles.

That said...there s something to be said on making you own...... what ever if you need to....and the hardware store is hours away.
Cool use of someone head....and getting results when difficult to find parts.....

I did have a combo tool, like a home shop, drill press in one mode, lath in another, small table saw.
But was a PITA to keep changing around when working with it...ended up being a drill press mostly....till some one wanted it more than I did and I sold it.

Battery drill being used as lath reminded me of it.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 12:25:23 PM »
That's correct and the whole idea of making your own, QC......if one only needs standard size dowels made from birch with no worry about grain structure, then the hardware store offerings are fine.  Ramrods require straight grain hickory for strength and to prevent breakage when ramming home a tight roundball/patch combination in a rifled muzzleloader.  To risk otherwise could mean skewering your hand with a broken ramrod.  Some muzzleloaders require fully tapered ramrods which takes another homemade die/scraper to accomplish.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 01:49:46 PM »
http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/craft-supplies/dowels-wooden-pins-plugs/3-8-x-48-poplar-dowel/p-1444438760834-c-12188.htm?tid=-3971279899515321773

Just saying......LOL

Yep.  Seems like a lot of time and trouble when I can just run down to the hardware store.  Not to mention, I don't have all the fancy wood working equipment it apparently takes to roll my own nor do I find myself in need of a lot of wooden dowels.

Dang nuke, it sounds like you need to have your galootathione levels checked. I'm sure there's a cure for this

Here's another http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/pScott/dowels/dowels-1.asp
                                                  -Unknown

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 02:03:32 PM »
My thoughts on this were that it might come in useful when you can't make it to a hardware store, or are working on a project over a long holiday weekend (when you are most likely to have time to work on a project) and the hardware store is closed.

And as was mentioned, if you wanted to make dowels or pins out of a special wood, this might be a good way to go about it. Just the other day I was looking for a 3/4" diameter dowel that I needed for a sanding block for the barrel channel in a stock I was working on, but it was already 8pm and town is 30 miles away. I did find one out in the garage, but this could have saved me a trip or a wait either way.

I have a few "step drills" that allow you to select different diameter holes easily, and they would be pretty good for this kind of thing. Some 3/16" steel bar stock and you could make a dowel cutting die with several diameters in it, then run it through a heat treat oven and have a nice tool that would last a long time before needing sharpening.

In my case, the money spent on gas to drive to the store and the hour long round trip might make this a more attractive option.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 03:19:30 PM »
Besides being able to make your dowels out of wood that fits your need it is also useful when you need two 4"x3/8" dowels for something and have the wood on hand.  No need to buy 4' of dowel when you need 8".

Besides that, it is fun.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)