Author Topic: Lanyard/Fob  (Read 852 times)

Offline asemery

• Whetstone +
  • I enoy knot tying, especially net making
Lanyard/Fob
« on: January 15, 2016, 07:14:47 AM »
I worked in the shipping department in the garment industry.  A box cutter was a necessary instrument to carry.  I made this to identify mine.  I followed a pattern for a manila boat fender using 3 strands of cord.

I retired after having used it for several years and I still keep it attached to the box cutter.  It is a bit ratty but still functional.  The Matthew Walker Knot that I used to finish the fob was tot tied tightly enough and came loose.  I modified the MWK and buried the ends in the fob .

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Lanyard/Fob
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:15:56 AM »
Very neat.  I like stuff like this.  Your knot ability is very interesting to me as I can just barely tie my shoelaces.  :P
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:41:34 AM »
I can see how it look like a boat fender. It really is amazing the variety of different object you can make from rope and cord. I'm guessing that a lot of this innovation happened during a time when sailors were out at sea for long months and depending on weather conditions sometimes had plenty of "free time" to figure all this out.

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 07:25:14 PM »
I'm not a good knoter. I sure like them though. I've a paracord lanyard on my house keys that has hung on my pocket like a champ for 7 or 8 years, Nice work on that one.

Creek
Axes Rock!