Author Topic: hack saw...  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
hack saw...
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »
I've been wanting one of these hacksaws with the parallel handle for awhile, I found one at the barn sale down the street this morning. there was a few of them and I decided to grab a few blades while I was at it, he always has bunch. BUT neither the 12 or 10 inch blades would fit any of this type of hacksaw in any configuration, even with the adjuster all the way out or in. then I found this one and it has NO screw adjuster, all it has is what you see, slotted frame lock and pins. Is there a special size for these saws? older style? whats up with this one. the handle is not threaded. anyone? thanks.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
Re: hack saw...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:40:40 PM »
The handle unscrews for the tension adjustment.
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 09:41:34 PM »
It looks like the handle itself may be threaded internally. You would adjust the frame to the nearest size (smaller) to the blade you want to use, then twist the handle to tighten the blade. If it's all the way tight you might have to unscrew it a bit first to get some room, then tighten it. I have a coping saw that works this way.

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »
Hit the thing with some PB Blaster, then give the handle a turn.  Should work.

I have one of that style but not a horizontal handle...where your handle is mine has a wingnut.  Same frame design though.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:02:21 PM »
ok after some oiling and tapping I ended up freeing up the handle section. still no threads but it does slide back and forth and rotate just like the other end

but, my other question is, none of these style saws, even the ones with obvious threaded adjustments fit a normal blade. Is there an older style blade assortment? and what are these kind of hacksaws called, inline or something? I'm having a google breakdown. need search parameters...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 11:12:08 PM by Binalith »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 11:46:45 PM »
It looks like the frame of the saw can be adjusted to one of 5 different lengths. One of them should be within 1/2 to 3/4" of a standard blade size.

I am sure the handle can be twisted to tighten the blades in the frame. It looks like there is a seam around the ferrule. Let it soak for a while, and you can try warming it with a hair drier to free it up. It might be at the limit of its travel in one direction or the other.

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:51:15 PM »
I hope you're right, its stressin me out haha

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
It helps to be smarter than the tool your using :taunt: :shrug: :rolleyes:
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
hah...well we're screwed then.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:17:22 PM »
I still have my Dad's like that. Not sure of the blade length, but I've purchased replacements in the past.
The handle is the tension adjustment. Yours looks like it needs a bit of convincing. Like's been mentioned, either soak it in penetrating oil, or keep shooting some down where the metal meets the wood for a couple days. Hold the metal end where the blade attaches and GENTLY try twisting the handle back and forth until it frees up.
P.S. I also have a coping saw that's the same design.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.