Author Topic: Throwing knives?  (Read 3208 times)

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
Throwing knives?
« on: February 06, 2016, 03:40:39 AM »
I wasn't sure if this needed to be in the general discussion or not so I thought I'd put it here. Anyone here do any knife throwing? I would really like to start practicing but am on the hunt for a set of throwing knives. Should I purchase an inexpensive set to get the mechanics of throwing worked out? Or should I get a good set from the get go?

Pete
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
Re: Throwing knives?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 06:20:48 AM »
You need to decide what style of throwing you want to do first. I prefer a blade heavy design so that it can be thrown from the handle. Some prefer the weight in the handle and throw from the blade.  Never like the neutral balanced designs...they just don't  work for me.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 08:37:13 AM »
I threw some of those CS big honkers at a wilderness skills camp.  Liked 'em just fine. Liked 'em better than the smaller (not the smallest) Hibbens.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 09:48:26 AM »
Buy a GOOD matched set the first time......quality only stings once! ;)

These are REALLY nice, but pretty spendy, too.....

http://www.hbforge.com/throwing-knives/rendezvous-throwing-knife

I know nothing about these, but they are supposed to be very good, also.....

http://www.fortturner.com/store/knives.htm

My advice is to head to hawk & knife-butt area at rendezvous and ask to throw a few of the knives that the most proficient hurlers are using.  Some of the blacksmiths and blade-smiths in attendance make their own styles or will accomadate you if you want something a little different.  I like the knives with the easily replaceable THICK leather scales, too.  It's not likely that you will ever have to replace them, but it's also nice to have an extra pair on hand in case you do.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:11:55 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 11:21:22 AM »
2nd the leather scales.....Wolfy  ;)

I ended up with a great throwing knife for vous... that makes a pretty decent firewood processor. Even though it's a throwing knife it splits kindling and shaves curls.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 11:46:51 AM »
My son brought a set up to the farm one year.  I had a tough time sticking them in a dead tree but he was pretty good at it.  Not something I will probably do but at a rendezvous it would be fun.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 03:22:14 PM »
Thank you everyone! Wolfy, I love that HB forge one! I'll keep on researching and hopefully get some field testing in!
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 05:26:07 AM »
Buy a GOOD matched set the first time......quality only stings once! ;)

These are REALLY nice, but pretty spendy, too.....

http://www.hbforge.com/throwing-knives/rendezvous-throwing-knife

I know nothing about these, but they are supposed to be very good, also.....

http://www.fortturner.com/store/knives.htm

My advice is to head to hawk & knife-butt area at rendezvous and ask to throw a few of the knives that the most proficient hurlers are using.  Some of the blacksmiths and blade-smiths in attendance make their own styles or will accomadate you if you want something a little different.  I like the knives with the easily replaceable THICK leather scales, too.  It's not likely that you will ever have to replace them, but it's also nice to have an extra pair on hand in case you do.

I really like the H&B suggestion. I like a heavy throwing knife and this one has been on my radar for a while now.

A heads up about Fort Turner: Please do some research on Dana the owner and Fort Turner. It seems like there are quite a few people who have been burned by him. I have been following a thread on a knife forum and there is a long thread about a guy trying to get his product or money back.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 08:16:53 AM »
Thank you for the 'heads-up' on Ft. Turner, Mr. T........I know nothing about them these days, but I did know a couple of guys that had one of their throwers years ago.  At that time, they were well thought of, but times change, I guess. :-\
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 10:13:09 AM »
I like the low price and durability of the Cold Steel True flight throwers -- the cord wrap can be swapped out for leather, and the blade is actually a decent performer for general tasks.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »
They don't need to be fancy.

Offline mneedham

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 03:43:22 PM »
We do.  My scouts and I throw hatchets and knives.  I made a couple of throwers for my son a couple years ago, big, and heavy chunks of 1095, tempered pretty soft. 

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 05:03:22 PM »
I have 3 of the old cold steel carbon V true flight throwers. Never been used. I don't have a good place or target.
I see little value in throwing a good knife... Other then the fun.
I need to find a target.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 03:14:03 AM »
The Cold Steel throwers are nice. If you want a well balanced thrower that can be use for camp chores I would suggest the Glock Field knives. You will be amazed how balanced they are for throwing. I have never broke one yet. I only use the model without the sawback.
Act or be Acted Upon!