Author Topic: garberg, beaver and streams.  (Read 3986 times)

Offline JV3

• Mill File+
garberg, beaver and streams.
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:34:21 PM »
i spent last saturday with reuben exploring an area i haven't been to in years, just checking out water sources and potential overnight spots.

the area did not disappoint...one of many fast flowing streams we crossed. although with snow already gone in mid-february i'm hoping it won't be too dry by summer.

a portal to another dimension?

reuben brought the prototype mora garberg for me to check out. the groove around the checkering caused hot spots in my hand after a few hours of use but was perfectly fine and grippy with gloves.

the spine is perfectly squared up!

i still like my 510 better though.

time for lunch! warming up a smoked salmon that reuben brought and we poured the juice with some water in the pot to cook the cheddar and broccoli rice.

Offline JV3

• Mill File+
Re: garberg, beaver and streams.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 09:35:41 PM »
too much beeswax on the tomahawk handle loosened up the friction fit too much so reuben ended up rotating the handle to get it to hold again and used the garberg's sharp spine to smooth out the tear-drop shaped handle that was causing a hotspot...using the spine was perfect since using the edge took way too much off...side benefit ? tinder!

he misses the smell of swamp water.

another swampy area we checked out revealed a resident beaver.

you can see the nest in the middle of the pic.

i call them hydra oaks...this area has an unusual number of them.

lots of water and rugged terrain ? we agreed it was one of the best spots we've hiked and we'll be back there more often. i was hoping to see some rattlesnakes though (i love snakes in general and used to have several non-venomous ones as pets) but i guess it was still too cold for them to be out.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 10:06:50 PM »
Did you prefer the new Mora to the old due to blade thickness or just the handle causing hot spots.

Nice pics.  interesting hillside with all those rocks and small trees.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 06:36:39 AM »
Good time out!  I love salmon.  That looked great and must have been a nice treat to enjoy by the fire.  Good times
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline JV3

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 10:43:06 PM »
Did you prefer the new Mora to the old due to blade thickness or just the handle causing hot spots.

Nice pics.  interesting hillside with all those rocks and small trees.

thanks! yes, my biggest gripe is the groove around the checkering. also, everything about the garberg feels way overbuilt for such a short knife. in this size range i like it to be light enough to hang around my neck since i usually have a tomahawk or some kind of chopper with me. i'm not against overbuilt knives though...when i bring one i go big :D

i had some time to kill tonight so i took another comparison pic and some weights (from top to bottom): heavy duty (3.625 oz), garberg (5.625 oz), bushcraft orange (4.250 oz), 510 (2.375 oz).

Good time out!  I love salmon.  That looked great and must have been a nice treat to enjoy by the fire.  Good times

thanks! most of our trips revolve around cooking :D

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »
Nice pictures. It is neat to see that Mora up close. Did you try pounding with the pommel at all? I have a 511 (with the finger guard intact) and I use it all the time in the kitchen for trimming meat.

Offline JV3

• Mill File+
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 08:37:28 PM »
Nice pictures. It is neat to see that Mora up close. Did you try pounding with the pommel at all? I have a 511 (with the finger guard intact) and I use it all the time in the kitchen for trimming meat.

thanks! no i have not. i believe bearthedog did, using the pommel to break the layer of ice so he can get water on a previous trip.