Author Topic: Adjustable candle holder forged  (Read 1291 times)

Offline sgtmcboom

• Whetstone +
Adjustable candle holder forged
« on: March 03, 2016, 06:49:53 PM »

Me and my girlfriend went out to Barberville today and picked up some coal. While we were there she was looking at the old time candle holders and asked if I could ever make one. Well I tried and I tried to keep it as rustic and simple as I could I am just starting messing with blacksmithing.

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
Re: Adjustable candle holder forged
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 06:59:25 PM »
Very Cool. That is called a "Courting Candle"
when a feller would coma a courtin for one of the ladies of a house, the man of the house would size up the feller and determine what amount of time the feller would be allowed to spend with the lady. He would then dial in as much or little as he deemed appropriate and when the candle burned down to that point it was time for the feller to leave. I do not think 10" Tapers were what the holder was meant to hold.

Nice job
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline sgtmcboom

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 07:04:53 PM »

Yeah I am going to get a different type of candle or make my own candle or melt one down and make a shorter one

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 05:49:09 AM »
Cool.   Thanks for sharing.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 11:44:47 AM »
Very Cool. That is called a "Courting Candle"
when a feller would coma a courtin for one of the ladies of a house, the man of the house would size up the feller and determine what amount of time the feller would be allowed to spend with the lady. He would then dial in as much or little as he deemed appropriate and when the candle burned down to that point it was time for the feller to leave. I do not think 10" Tapers were what the holder was meant to hold.

Nice job

Interesting back story, thanks
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"