Author Topic: Got an "axe"  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
Got an "axe"
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:41:22 AM »
Dramatic back story. Went to bass pro shop over the weekend and got a replacement folding shovel. Picked up a Schrade folding shovel. Let me tell ya, that thing eats up roots. If you need to dig a hole quick that thing makes short work of rocky tree root dirt. The camillus folding shovel was junk, it's worth about its weight in scrap. The Schrade is a tad heavier than I'd like but it performs better than any folding shovel I've used, and I've used a lot of them.

The real winner is the SCAXE9 I picked up for a throw in the camping gear axe. It has a gimmicky folding saw in the handle that turns out to be no gimmick. The gall darn thing saws better than any folding saw I've currently got. I honestly don't see it getting much use. The axe itself is not small, but it's not big. Fits in the "hydration" pouch on my pack I never use perfect. It's long and heavy enough to do some serious chopping. But I can still grab it by one hand and get after smaller chores.

It does work extremely well. I sawed a branch into sections then split them in two for the fire extremely quick. The saw in the handle meant one piece of gear cut and split. The reviews on boobtube say it hurts the hands. I used it for two hours no gloves and I don't have a hot spot of any kind. My 12 year old son used it for 30 minutes no gloves (longer than any of the online reviews are) with no hotspots, so maybe they changed the handle. The steel itself is lowly 3cr13. Before I packed it up I tried it at making some feathers and sure enough it was still sharp. It don't even need a touch up.

I can easily say it stays sharp longer than the larger Fiskars I have. It's easier to carry and has a flippin saw in the handle.

I need to get another one for the camping gear now. This one is living in the pack from now on.

It don't look fancy or is a popular name but man this thing just begs to be abused and don't give up. It would absolutely make a great truck or car tool for just in case. After testing it for flaws first of course. 

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: Got an "axe"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:01:09 AM »
It's cool your deal worked out good. You can't kill those poly axes. I haven't used one with the saw attachment. I like the fiskers offerings a lot. I figure with some practice it should work just fine. Would be new to me but a fellow told me one time if you stop learning you stop living. Post a pic if you can.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 12:50:01 PM »
 :thumbsup: Sounds like you got yourself a work-horse :)

:chopwood: :cheers:
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 01:04:41 PM »
Looks like a handy tool.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 01:56:49 PM »
Boris, any chance we can get a photo or a link to a photo?  Or a description of a photo, or a description of the link to a description of the photo?
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 02:36:07 PM »
Boris, any chance we can get a photo or a link to a photo?  Or a description of a photo, or a description of the link to a description of the photo?

You guys are brutal!

I forgot the picture taking device today. I will fetch a link.

http://taylorbrandsllc.com/collections/schrade/products/schrade-axe

It's not that much retail. It is worth the $45.00 I paid for it though. I'm always worried when I get affordable gear but I literally beat the snot out of all my gear before I will trust it. I did the same today and I was left highly impressed. I expected the 3cr13 steel to be dented, bent rolled and destroyed. It's still sharp after a good long beating. I can see the saw blade bending because it's so long. I just went slow and it only cuts on the pull but even going slow it made short work of sawing. It's primary use is an axe anyway. The saw is a huge bonus and the cut out don't make the handle weak at all.

I just wanted the shovel but the axe looked handy and it was a good impulse purchase. The Ti coating don't even have a scratch on it. Shovel has a lot of paint wron off but it will be bare metal before too soon, it just makes digging so easy in the roots and rocky dirt.

Would make anyone a good throw in the truck affordable tool, along with the shovel.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 04:04:26 PM »
The SCAXE9 is available on Amazon for $37......with 'zoomable' pictures and reviews. :)

EDIT: 'zoomable'........not, 'zommable'  :P :rolleyes: :lol:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:51:16 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 05:05:07 PM »
By coincidence, I saw a review of this axe on YouTube today.  The guy didn't like it because the sawblade made noise when you use the axe.  Really?  REALLY?  Did it work like an axe or a saw?  Did it sound like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir when you hit it?  If not, do you think it makes any difference?  Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
-John Denver

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 05:33:04 PM »
By coincidence, I saw a review of this axe on YouTube today.  The guy didn't like it because the sawblade made noise when you use the axe.  Really?  REALLY?  Did it work like an axe or a saw?  Did it sound like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir when you hit it?  If not, do you think it makes any difference?  Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Them people on whotube are boobs for the most part. They put it (anything) through a fraction of what use you'll actually use it for in a regular day and pass judgement. I atleast chopped down a standing dead pine tree, harvested all the fat wood from it then burned some of it. It would have made for a looooong pootube review no one would watch because it's being used how you'll actually use it.

It's a durable useable design. Boring. They need to feel like an expert or something. I'm just a guy who likes buying gear that stands up that's affordable. Most boring review ever.

I'm Mostly letting y'all know it's a heck of a tool. If you are considering something like it, then the SCAXE9 is a decent choice. I like it, that's all that really matters.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »
I am going to stop watching YT reviews of anything.  I have a low BS tolerance and when it is presented by some dipwad acting like he is the recognized expert, I just about hurl.  These guys need to be sued off of YT.
-John Denver

Offline Boris74

• Whetstone
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 08:55:19 PM »
I am going to stop watching YT reviews of anything.  I have a low BS tolerance and when it is presented by some dipwad acting like he is the recognized expert, I just about hurl.  These guys need to be sued off of YT.

I feel the same way. These days I buy stuff with no regards to ToiletTube or online reviews.

Even my 12 year old told me his hand didn't hurt or have any hot spots after 30 minutes of use (no gloves). He looked up some videos on his own and deducted all by himself the bootoobers were off their rocker with their comments.

I use my time reading bunches here. Lots of no fluff real use and experience posts.