Author Topic: planning my escape from the ground.  (Read 2880 times)

Offline JV3

• Mill File+
planning my escape from the ground.
« on: April 11, 2016, 11:40:06 PM »
i spent most of my sunday lounging around in my new dutchware hammock. i spent 3 nights in a hammock last year and liked it a lot so i'm making a serious attempt this year to hang year round.

still waiting on the 0? f down underquilt so rigged up my kifaru woobie to see what it's like.

i didn't have shock cord handy so i attached it loosely to prevent putting too much load on the loops.

worked out a lot better than i expected...i think it's rated as a 40? f blanket so this will work for those summer nights when no insulation is a tad bit too cold...the hammock is a double layer and between it i also had a gossamer gear thinlight hammock foam pad (0.25? x 3' 3? x 4' 11?) and my  back was plenty warm despite the wind and high 30's. 

i can keep the sides up as well if i shock-corded the 3 side loops (this one is mid thigh, the other two are near my ankle and shoulder) to the ridgeline.

yup, new tarp yet again! this time it's a warbonnet superfly...just when i've got my ground sleep setup figured out i start from scratch again.

not sure i'm going to buy spreader bars...just staking out the walls to the ground created a ton of room already.

Offline JV3

• Mill File+
Re: planning my escape from the ground.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 11:40:44 PM »
porch mode is by far my favorite.

can't wait just to lounge around and watch the rain all day!

one tip i didn't read about for new hammockers is bring crocs/slippers for the first time out...i was putting my boots on and off too many times to count while adjusting things all over the place...downright annoying either walking with my feet flopping all over or constantly re-tying the laces.

my grumbling stomach was the only thing that got me off the hammock.

i kinda wished i brought an alcohol stove instead so the circle of laziness would've been complete!

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:52:49 PM »
Nice, I've got a hammock but never yet used it :(
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 04:45:03 AM »
Nice setup.  I love hanging in a hammock.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 06:25:06 AM »
Nice setup and outing.  Dutch has always been good to deal with in my book.  I'd say you are ready for a trip...even if all you do is lounge around all day.  Brooks and creeks are my favorite lounge spots...wish I was there now
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:18:59 AM »
Just had to pop in and say the orange ALOX knife looks cool. :thumbsup:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 10:24:33 AM »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:38:01 AM by xj35s »
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Aven

• Whetstone +
  • Woods Woman
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 07:39:46 PM »
What a great view. 

Nice setup you've got there JV3. That  Dutch is a great guy with some awesome bits and bobbles for hammock campers.  I highly recommend his stuff.

A non-structural ridge line and  triangle thingie will help you pull your under quilt up against you.  And a Knotty Side Mod is easy and really helps keep your top quilt in the hammock with you.
Seriously people, stop expecting normal from me.... We all know it's never gonna happen.

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 10:24:13 AM »
looks good, thanks for sharing
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline JV3

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 06:37:53 PM »
Nice, I've got a hammock but never yet used it :(

thanks! try it and you might be surprised...i should've tried it years ago!

Nice setup.  I love hanging in a hammock.

thanks! i'm definitely a convert and already sold most of my ground setup.

Nice setup and outing.  Dutch has always been good to deal with in my book.  I'd say you are ready for a trip...even if all you do is lounge around all day.  Brooks and creeks are my favorite lounge spots...wish I was there now

thanks! i just came back from an overnighter with a big group of hangers and i was super comfortable.

Just had to pop in and say the orange ALOX knife looks cool. :thumbsup:

thanks! i wish it came in the regular plastic too so i can get several for friends.

I love that tarp. I think it's important to have ends that close like that. For me, just for the privacy alone.

If anyone else is interested in sewing their own. Here is a good link to parachute material sold by the yard for cheap.

white. 36"

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/military-issue-unique-items-odds-and-ends/material-fabric/white-parachute-material-by-the-running-yard.html

Green. 36"

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/military-issue-unique-items-odds-and-ends/bags-packs/od-green-parachute-material-by-the-running-yard.html

Blue. 50"

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/military-issue-unique-items-odds-and-ends/bags-packs/blue-parachute-material-by-the-yard.html

yup, it's a really nice wind block and helps keep the heat in.

What a great view. 

Nice setup you've got there JV3. That  Dutch is a great guy with some awesome bits and bobbles for hammock campers.  I highly recommend his stuff.

A non-structural ridge line and  triangle thingie will help you pull your under quilt up against you.  And a Knotty Side Mod is easy and really helps keep your top quilt in the hammock with you.

thanks! i'm still waiting for my hammock gear underquilt (should be shipping anytime now) and the real experimentation and fun begins. it did help though checking other people's setups over the weekend.

looks good, thanks for sharing

thanks!