Author Topic: TYPEWRITERS  (Read 3292 times)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
TYPEWRITERS
« on: April 12, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
Anybody still use one?  ???   I know crashdive123 still does.....he just bought an old Selectric for cutting the stencils he uses to mark his knife blades, but I was wondering about the rest of us.  I still own several....an old Royal portable that I still have from my high school/college days, an Olivetti large-type portable used for typing names on convention nametags and an OLD Remington #12 upright with 'elite' type that I had cleaned and restored at a local trade school when they still had a program for such things.  Here's a link and picture of it...

http://machinesoflovinggrace.com/rems.htm

According to some light research, there is still a limited market for them.  Some people like Tom Hanks will not use anything else.....he even created an app (Hanx Writer) so his letters appear to be typed on one when he is forced to use more modern methods.   Hunter S. Thompson used one exclusively to write his books, too.  Abigale VanBuren used one to type all of her 'Dear Abby, columns.   I'm sure there are many more......are you one of them?  :shrug:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:36:25 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Re: TYPEWRITERS
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:32:08 AM »
I have two of them.  One fully manual and one electric with a primative internal memory.   Don't use them anymore but learning to type in highschool has proven to be well worth the trouble.  I can still type over thirty errors per minute after all these years.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 10:37:53 AM »
  An electric, but don't remember the brand right now. Not an expensive one. Haven't used it in a few years. It is likely about 15+ years old or a little better. I just usually use the computer & a printer now a days, but I do have it around if I need it. ( Like a lot of other stuff ;)  Missus calls me a "hoarder", for saving stuff like that...LOL )

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 10:47:08 AM »
I'm a much better typer on a manual that a 'puter keyboard.  But no,  I don't use one.  Don't even ask me about my texting speed. phhhhhhhhhhht...
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 10:57:31 AM »
I'm a much better typer on a manual that a 'puter keyboard.  But no,  I don't use one.  Don't even ask me about my texting speed. phhhhhhhhhhht...

Texting....I HATE IT! :doh:    As one of the few people on the planet still using an old flip phone, texting people back is a MAJOR pain in the wahzoo!

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »
Do the kids even take English 101 still?  Between the acronyms and the bad grammar are we creating a new language?

Maybe I will dig out that old manual.  If I can find a ribbon...

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 11:50:21 AM »
Walmart has 'em. :thumbsup:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 01:11:18 PM »
We have a small portable in the basement where it resides in lonely combination with an old HiFi turntable.  I am okay on a computer but very slow on a manual portable.  Glad to hear they have ribbons, maybe we should get it out and see how it works. 

I have a dumb phone.  I can't figure it out other than to make a call and answer a call.  A Smart phone would be beyond my ability.   :-[ :-[
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 04:04:27 PM »
LOL.  Everybody gets mad at me 'cause I can't figure out how to play my voice mail...

Crap.  I'll have to make a pre-dawn run to Wallyworld for a ribbon.  It's kind of a changing of the shifts for the weirdos at ours.  In between the sideshow geeks and the rubes... 

I apologize to those who might work at WM but it gets strange there in the wee hours here...

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 06:35:45 PM »

Texting....I HATE IT! :doh:    As one of the few people on the planet still using an old flip phone, texting people back is a MAJOR pain in the wahzoo!

My wife refuses to cross over to the dark side.  All of her friends text and she pounds it out with her flip phone.  I was answering a text from a customer the other day with the "talk" function.  She looked at me and said it would have taken her 20 minutes to type that.   :shrug: