Author Topic: Wool Pullover  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Wool Pullover
« on: April 15, 2016, 05:48:43 PM »
I needed something to wear during cold days on the farm doing demos so I chose a long wool pullover shirt from Jas. Townsend and son.  This is just a blanket shirt that comes down to the middle of my thighs.  I am 5-10" and about 200 lbs and had to get an XL just so I could get it off and on without having to dislocate my arms to do it.  It is heavy fabric, 80% Wool and 20% mystery fabric.  It will be a good warm shirt to work in.  The whole shirt is roomy. The sleeves are very flexible and don't bind when you extend your arms.  I will prolly wear it with the belt and sheath I made for my Green River Knife.  I wish it had a pocket, though.

I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Wool Pullover
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 05:53:23 PM »
Looks good to me, when it is cold.  With a sash or belt and sheath it will be pretty neat.  You could add a small leather pouch to the belt.  I have one that is really handy when you have something with no pockets.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »
Now why didn't I think of that?  Good Idea!
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 06:04:14 PM »
If you plan to use it at the forge, you might want to test the fabric for melting in an unobtrusive spot. :[
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »
If you plan to use it at the forge, you might want to test the fabric for melting in an unobtrusive spot. :[

Good idea.  I have a melters jacket from when I worked in the steel mills and it is 80% wool.  I don't know what else is in it.  It did not show signs of melting around the arc furnace which was running at about 3200F.  Of course, I did not get real close either.  My mama didn't raise me to be a cinder.  The danger was when they tapped the furnace into the teeming ladle and you get a fireworks show.

I have worn cotton-poly shirts at the forge for many years and while I had a few tiny holes, I never had a meltdown.  I do wear a leather half-apron too.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »
What prompted me to mention it is I once had a capote made from a cheap 85% wool, 15% nylon blanket.  It was a near death trap around an open fire.....melted the sash in nothing flat! :shocked:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 07:52:13 PM »
Well, I did put a lighter on one of the fuzz balls and it curled up and smelled like burning feathers.  So I guess the shirt is 80% wool and 20% turkeys. 
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 09:44:20 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)