Author Topic: Bk7 worth the money?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline aelfred.t.allspa

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
Bk7 worth the money?
« on: April 20, 2016, 04:06:46 AM »
So I have a couple favorite blades like my ex ghurka khukri house khukri and my buck 673. But I want something big, mean and tough that Is mostly striaght. My khukri takes the place of a tomohawk that got stolen. Is the bk7 a good large blade? Can it do fine tasks? How about throwing sparks from the spine? Can a leather sheath be made for it reasonably easily?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Bk7 worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 11:59:21 AM »
So I have a couple favorite blades like my ex ghurka khukri house khukri and my buck 673. But I want something big, mean and tough that Is mostly striaght. My khukri takes the place of a tomohawk that got stolen. Is the bk7 a good large blade? Can it do fine tasks? How about throwing sparks from the spine? Can a leather sheath be made for it reasonably easily?

Welcome to the forum,  If you like big heavy knives you can't go too far wrong with any of the Beckker series of knives,  I've owned a couple of BK-2's and a BK-7 and have made leather sheaths for them,  if you have one made they can be pricey,  if you're handy with stitching and know good leather you can make a nice sheath out of remnent leather for about $25.00 bucks.
  New they come with a black plastic sheath that will wear on the edge,  they are painted with some kind of epoxy paint that really benefits the useability of the knife if it's removed, if you want to strike sparks off the spine with a ferro rod you'll have to file or grind a flat spot on it, I never had any luck getting a spark out of flint off a Becker BK knife,  they don't come through with a shaving sharp edge,  so if you're picky about sharp you'll need to put a good edge on it,  the scales are also molded from some kind of plastic,  they are pretty comfortable but slippery when wet,  there are after market scales offered for BK knives made of different composit materials that are better suited to a working knife,  but again they'll up the price of the knife by half.
  The B-2 in my opinion is the least useful in the series,  the BK-7 and BK-9 make excellet choppers for processing campfire wood or primitive shelter building,  but for fine tasks like food prep or cleaning fish and small game they suck,  they ain't great for carving wood,  but they'll baton through gnarled wood with the best of them.
  Most owners that I know generally carry several cutting tools for doing lighter tasks,  personally what works best for me is 4" woodlore styled blade for general cutting, food and game processing,  and a folding saw for processing wrist sized wood (it's quicker and less work),  sometimes I carry a medium sized good quality hawk.
  The idea of a one knife that does it all is a myth,  there ain't no such animal,  as a suggestion,  for the price of a BK-7 you can buy a decent hawk and a good Mora Companion that would probably serve you  much better.

Hope this helps.     :shrug:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Electric Cowboy

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
Re: Bk7 worth the money?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:46:56 PM »
First, Welcome to the best Forum on the Planet.
Second, Moe nailed it with a very good reply.
What he said...........
Deus Vult