Author Topic: What's in your pack?  (Read 2764 times)

Offline PreparedWanderer

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
What's in your pack?
« on: May 11, 2016, 02:11:00 PM »
This question gets asked allot around the net. What's in your pack? What should I bring on a hike? I did a video on what I carry in a daypack or what I call my bushcraft daypack. Its specific to my needs but that doesn't mean it's the only way. My gear also fluctuates depending on weather and tasks at hand. Plus I love trying new gear so things get changed out often.

Right now I am using a Maxpedition Falcon II and I am enjoying it.

I keep my stuff organize via stuff sacks and pull outs.

Check out the video in HD

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:27:31 AM by PreparedWanderer »

Offline Highlife

• Water Stone
  • Sometimes more is more.
Re: What's in your pack?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 06:26:22 PM »
Fun topic, but the video link isn't working for me
What's that smell?

Offline PreparedWanderer

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 06:27:43 AM »
Fixed it

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
I have several for use depending on what I will be doing and for how long.
Small pack for a short walkabout with just the bare essentials. I have a camelback ridge runner for an all day outing with a little more in it. I have an Alice pack for overnights up to 3 or 4 days with everything I might need.
All of them have a Fire Kit, FAK, Blade, Raingear and plastic bags and a light. Add Food, Water and clothing and sleeping and shelter for the bigger packs.
The bigger packs have more stuff in there than I need, always have to dump it out and rethink it before an outing.
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 02:15:52 PM »
Yeah, I tend to fill my packs like I was going to the moon.  Then I have to go back and remove the luxury items like the icemaker and the accordion. 
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 02:47:48 PM »
   The differences in kits sometimes surprises.  I gonna tell the extremes at the very first Kracaneuner Tribe meet.
   We met out in the forest despite our family and friends thinking we're crazy to go camping with men we met on the internet.  Truth be told, we fell in with each other almost immediately despite pretty much everyone had a sidearm and a knife on. 
    Hushnel came almost period correct in knickers with wood buttons and a homemade hat.  Can't remember what he exactly carried but he always has little surprises tucked away.
    LetsRock  (god of friction fire)  went to ToysRus and bought a kids tent.  He had to curl up to sleep because it was too short. He rocked that tent for a coupla years and weathered serious thunder storms.  He had duct tape holding his shoes together and his only knife was a Swiss Army knife.
     There was this guy from Jax.  Right oughta the Marines with PTSD and full-on MIL gear.  His water all came from drinking the dew that came off his poncho/tarp.
      What do I carry?  LOL.  Can't really nail that one down.
      And then there was SIXFOOTER.  He rolled in bigger than life in a 1 ton dually. He had his kit down cold.  The only thing was he needed the 1 ton to transport his pack.  It literally filled the bed.  Don't get the wrong idea.  He left most all of us in the dust on the hike in and I had to yell for him to turn around when he blew by a turn.  I don't think I could've picked the darn thing up much less double timed through sugar sand with it.

To each his own.  Thank the Lord we have a forum here that we get support instead of derision for being a little different from each other.

At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline NewEnglandBushcraft

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 02:52:54 PM »
A lot has changed with my pack systems, and it continues to evolve. I've found that a larger than hatchet-sized axe is overkill for my style of camping and backpacking. I've saved some ounces by using a DIY ultralight cook pot or an old, hand-me-down aluminum kettle as alternatives to my Olicamp kettle (stainless steel), which I now reserve for extended outings when I want more cooking options. I also managed to shave off about a pound and a half by modding my rucksack, which is a LK-35, by replacing the frame with a lighter-weight, aluminum one (also a hand-me-down - used to be on my brother's godfather's pack in his glory days) with better padded shoulder straps and a waist strap.

My basic sleep system and shelter doesn't change too much. I use a Thermarest Trail Pro womens' version, because the R-value is 4.8, compared to 4.0 for regular mens' version, making it a better option for winter/sub 32 F camping - and as long as the nighttime temperature isn't too high (say 45 F), I'll sleep in my Snugpak Sleeper Lite, which I have taken down to -10 F with reasonable comfort (wearing two layers of socks, inner booties from my vintage Sorels, Austrian army surplus cold weather trouser liners, long sleeve merino base layer, fleece jacket, fleece beanie hat, and ushanka). For a ground cloth I just use a heavy duty space blanket. The Snugpak is my only sleeping bag, and the Thermarest my only pad. When it gets too hot and uncomfortable during the long days of summer, the pad still comes with, but I'll sleep in my clothes instead of the Snugpak...I get roasted out of there if the temperature is doesn't drop below 45 F. I am considering acquiring a fleece sleeping bag liner for the cooler summer nights. For an external shelter, I have a few options: a Mil-Tec ACU poncho, which I admittedly don't use much anymore; a DD 3x3 tarp in coyote brown, which is my standard and favoured choice; and a newly acquired Guide Gear "backpacking" tipi shelter. I'm still figuring out what I'm going to do with the tipi, but my current plan is to use it in winter for a hot tent set-up. Still, the DD will likely always remain the shelter of choice for me. I've used that tarp year-round. I love its Earth-toned camouflage and its flexibility in the variety of shelters I can construct.  :tent:

For a day pack I really like my LL Bean Continental, but because there is no external frame, it can get quite uncomfortable during high summer. Then I'll just use the modded LK-35 to avoid SBS (Sweaty Back Syndrome, the plague of backpackers who hike through heat and humidity in summer).

EDIT - Just for some numbers, my standard winter/sub 32 F base weight (that is, everything except consumables, ie water, food, stove fuel) in the rucksack for an overnight or extended stay is about 19 lbs. As for my 3 season base weight, it can vary depending on the season and weather conditions, especially with a fairly large temperature range (freezing point to 80 F) to consider.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:05:19 PM by NewEnglandBushcraft »
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~ Abraham Lincoln
My blog, https://newenglandbushcraft.wordpress.com/