Author Topic: Ex-Ghurka Kukri House  (Read 3682 times)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
Ex-Ghurka Kukri House
« on: May 20, 2016, 04:31:39 AM »
I picked this up a little while ago. This is a seriously burly knife, but also seriously rough around the edges. I've done a fair amount of modifications and am pretty happy with how it's turning out. check it out...

This is pretty much what it looked like when I got it. Ebay picture, I forgot to get a snap before i went at it with the files.

Here's after my mods

You can see, I knocked down all but one of the finger grooves. The smith who made this must have monster hands because I could fit two of my fingers between the first two, albeit rather uncomfortably. They were also just spaced wrong for me. I decided to keep the last one for now, we'll see after it gets a good work out, haven't had much dirt time lately. Seems like it could to add some grip variations, but we'll see.  Also I cut off the rear of the pommel and changed it to a tear drop shape which I find much more comfortable. I know the traditional designs have the symmetrical pommel, but I just found it getting in my way in my minimal backyard 2x4 crushing, plus I thought it looked cooler. Also I sunk some steel rods into the pommel, to about an inch and a half deep into the handle slabs. There is a noticeable difference in the balance of the blade, feels slightly more 'lively' now, if you know what I mean, I'd like to add a bit more weight somehow. Again, like the last finger groove they may or may now stay as is. I think they look kind of cool sticking out like that and from a defensive standpoint, I suppose they could weapon-ize the pommel a bit more. Not really a concern, but getting a real kukri in hand for the first time makes you appreciate what a fearsome tool it is. I feel like of all the big knives I have this one is most truly the weapon of the bunch. The hilt and grip got some reshaping for comfort and I've done some reshaping to the blade itself. The tip was a bit pointy for my taste so I knocked it back some and I've been slowly re-profiling the whole edge, mostly up near the top swell. It's suppose to be the 'axe' area but it still needed to thin down some. I may try to get someone to put a professional edge on it. Building new edges from scratch is an area I'm still not that great at.

More to come after further work and testing. I have a junglas and a scrapyard 911 that I am hoping to do some comparison testing against. thanks for looking.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
Re: Ex-Ghurka Kukri House
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 05:57:40 AM »
If I had one knife in FL to walk out there with... It would be a kukri.  Crashblade's monster kukri suits me fine.  But I rocked your exact one for years.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 06:56:07 AM »
Pakistan and India have been making steel and knives for centuries but they seem to have forgotten much of what they knew.  Perhaps unbridled capitalism learned from the British has run amok and there is no one left to champion the cause of quality.  Every Pakistani knife I have owned or handled has been rough with poorly fitted furniture.  They are a parody of their own system.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 11:04:32 AM »
I bet it does it's job just fine

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:49:33 AM »

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 01:15:52 PM »
I bet it does it's job just fine

Creek

Especially since it is not Pakistani or Indian.  It is Nepalese.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 05:35:50 PM »
Beast of a knife!

I like the handle work. Finger grooves on a handle always seem to fall out in the wrong place for me, either spaced to close or too far apart. I like your solution.

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 06:21:18 PM »
Thanks, coupled with the weights in the pommel it is waaay more comfortable to swing around like that.