Author Topic: RTIC 45 Cooler Review, with pics  (Read 8323 times)

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
RTIC 45 Cooler Review, with pics
« on: June 02, 2016, 03:55:21 PM »
Finally got my new RTIC cooler in today, took about 3 weeks from when I ordered. From what I understand they only recently started shipping and have been doing a barn burner of business.
So, got this thing in today and I have to say its a Beast of a cooler. The walls are a bit thicker than the Yeti and overall its about an inch bigger than the Yeti. What got me interested was the price, near half of a Yeti at $175.
Its nice and white (for now) A pretty thing.

Nice latches like other high end coolers

Nice gasket on the lid should provide a good seal

Stout rope handles plenty long enough to make it a comfortable carry

I like the rubber feet, I run with a cooler in the back of the truck all the time and having it sliding around back there is a pita even with a lanyard on it, this should stop all that.
The lid has grooves molded in to acomodate a tie down strap which is cool.
There is a lock ring molded in the lid and body on the corner so it can be locked or a lock cable to secure it to the truck.

Felt pretty good about this thing so I got the 30oz tumbler

and the 10oz Lowball.

Very nicely built stuff I have to say. There are some youtube vids on Yety vs RTIC but I wanted to run my own tests. I filled the 30 ox tumbler with ice, put the lid on it and set it on my desk. Its high 70's in here most of the time. The ice lasted 30 hrs and the thing does not even get cool on the outside and Zero sweat. The 10oz unit will take 5 ot 6 ice cubes and 4 fingers of Burbon and still have ice in it 3 hrs later even after the Burbon has evaporated.
So, tomorrow I'll load up a 12 pack and a bag of ice into the cooler and see how it does.
More later

Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
Re: RTIC 45 Cooler Review, with pics
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 04:21:57 PM »
Those look great Danny. I thought the RTIC's were unicorn coolers, you've proved me wrong. I've got the 30 oz., 20 oz. and 10 oz. lowball Yeti cups, and they are all awesome. I use the 20 oz. all the time. I bet that cooler will do great in the back of your truck, and at a more practical price point. Congrats.

I'm sure some folks may not appreciate a good cooler, but living in Florida and using a cooler quite often, cutting down on ice consumption can somewhat justify the expense, especially if you're using a cooler 75-100 days or more per year. That ice expense adds up.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 04:27:46 PM »
Wow, I might have to look into some of those cups. I like to drink a lot of ice water in the evenings (after it is too late for caffeine) but the ice often melts before I finish a glass.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 04:33:03 PM »
Wow, I might have to look into some of those cups. I like to drink a lot of ice water in the evenings (after it is too late for caffeine) but the ice often melts before I finish a glass.
PW, if they're anything like the Yeti, I can vouch for their ice holding capability. I fill my 20 oz cup with ice and water each night a little while before bed. I often wake up in the middle of the night thirsty and sip some water. When I wake up in the morning, there's at least 80% of the ice left over in the morning; my Tervis Tumber's can't do that.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »
I can definitely see a larger RTIC in my future.  I've got the YETI Roadie and love it along with the 30 oz tumbler and a soft side 20 on the way.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 08:45:27 PM »
PW, if they're anything like the Yeti, I can vouch for their ice holding capability. I fill my 20 oz cup with ice and water each night a little while before bed. I often wake up in the middle of the night thirsty and sip some water. When I wake up in the morning, there's at least 80% of the ice left over in the morning; my Tervis Tumber's can't do that.

That sounds like just what I need. If it will keep ice overnight, I am going to get one.

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 09:05:27 PM »
For $20 its hard to beat that 30oz tumbler and you will have ice in the morning.
Dear god, I just saw they have Bottles too, and in a 64oz size
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 03:57:21 AM »
For $20 its hard to beat that 30oz tumbler and you will have ice in the morning.
Dear god, I just saw they have Bottles too, and in a 64oz size

Uh oh.  Looks like we'll be able to settle around the campfire at night with an adult beverage and not be bothered with the task of getting up to fix another........that's a good thing right?

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 11:12:37 AM »
OK, here we go. This is to be a real word type of test where I will use it as I would while out somewhere. I am not targeting seeing what the maximum amount of minutes it will maintain ice.
I loaded 24 bottles of some of my fav brews and 20 lbs of ice and there is still room in there. Start time 1pm on Friday and the outside temp is 84 in the shade on the patio.

I'll be digging one out now and then throughout the weekend and see how it does

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 11:23:41 AM »
Any way I can get in on helping you out with this rigorous testing process?  :shrug: :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 02:19:57 PM »
I'll be watching this with a keen interest. Although I'm not in the market for a big cooler at the moment since I have a few already but I am in the market for a large tumbler since my old faithful broke on me. I'm gonna check out the 64 oz one you referred to. I go through about 8 32 oz containers of water per day and this would be a life saver!
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 02:31:42 PM »
The large RITC cooler seems the way to go for dudes like me. Even in PA the summer heat and humidity is usually ridiculous and a decent cooler can make the difference between keeping your beer and food cold vs. cutting a campout short or having to consume all your refrigerated goods prematurely.

Thanks for the review! I've always thought Yeti coolers were probably overpriced considering they're probably made in China just like everything else.
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 02:52:58 PM »
Would that be Yuengling and Sam Adams test subjects?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 08:28:15 PM »
I am really interested in these roto molded coolers. I have been reading about them for a while but haven't settled on a size and a brand yet. I definitely want the best bang for my buck, and I don't care about brand names if the performance is the same.

I will say this, you can get a roto molded kayak with a lot of hardware and a paddle for half of what some of the pricier coolers cost. If they are using the same polyethylene materials and less of them, there is a lot of "wiggle room" built into the price.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 07:40:15 PM »
As luck would have it, I was in SLC today taking my daughter to the planetarium.

We stopped by Cabelas and Scheels on the way home, and I looked at their coolers. All either store had were YETI and Cabelas had their own store brand, still priced higher than RTIC.

I passed on the coolers, but bought a 20oz YETI tumbler and their little beer can / bottle cooler. It could probably double as a drinking cup if you don't mind the threads. I will post a review after I use them for a while.

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 09:44:20 PM »
So, 54 hrs in and still got a lot of ice. Lost a bit in the beginning because I didn't check the drain plug, won't do that again.

Near 60 hrs in, most of the ice is gone but my beer is still cold

I am calling it a winner

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 10:07:11 PM »
How many bags of ice did you put in to start?

As for my 20oz Yeti tumbler, I filled it with ice and water at about 1:30 am last night and it still had about 20% of the ice left at 4:00 in the afternoon today. I am amazed!

Walmart has 30oz "Ozark Trail" tumblers that look just like the Yeti and Rtic tumblers for $9.99 so I am going to pick up a couple for comparison. If they even work half as good they will be worth it at 1/3 the price.

The only thing I don't like about any of these is that they can't be put in the dishwasher.

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 10:17:17 PM »
I put in 1 20# bag on Friday at 1pm.
Beer is still cold now with a little ice still in there

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 09:08:50 AM »
I put in 1 20# bag on Friday at 1pm.
Beer is still cold now with a little ice still in there

Yeah that sounds like really good performance!

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 02:47:16 PM »
Yea I am pretty happy with it. I just pulled out a beer, nothing but water left in there but its still only about 45*, this is 3 days and change

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 09:31:04 AM »
nice review.  seems like a good deal.  Wonder how long ice would last in the 100 degree Oklahoma summers...hmmmmm
OINK!

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 05:51:48 PM »
In my never ending search for that perfect cooler, I ordered an RTIC 20 Soft Cooler. I'll be testing it out this week on a trip. Hopefully it will be a keeper. It does fit in the kayak perfectly, 13.25" Long x 9.25" Wide x 14" High.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 06:40:39 PM »
Used this cooler recently on a 7 day trip. Put about 4 pounds out of a 10 pound bag of ice in the cooler bottom on Friday. Still had a little ice on Tuesday, enough to keep everything cold. During those 4 days, we probably opened the cooler 3-4 times per day and the cooler stayed in the car almost all the time. Also, we were traveling in cooler weather ranging from the high 30's at night to the low 80's during the day in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina and South Carolina. We didn't use it for drinks, mostly for meats, fresh seafood, cheeses, and mixed salad vegetables. Worked out perfect for multiple picnic lunches during our trip. It never leaked or had any condensation buildup on the outside at all.

All in all, I think I've found the perfect small soft cooler for 1-2 people for multi-day use.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:46:30 PM by Yellowyak »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 07:12:22 PM »
Thanks for the soft side review.  Looks like a winner to me.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)