Author Topic: Lansky sharpening kit  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
Lansky sharpening kit
« on: June 20, 2016, 12:11:17 PM »
http://lansky.com/index.php/products/professional-system/

My brother is a pain, constantly wanting me to sharpen knives for him. I have taught him how to use a stone but he is frankly lazy. So does anyone have experience with the lansky sharpening system? Is it easy?
Nice matters

Offline MrFixIt

• Whetstone +
  • Old Jarhead
Re: Lansky sharpening kit
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 12:57:05 PM »
Yes, it is easy to use. I would recommend the table top base plate if he doesn't have a bench vise.
"I may be goin' to hell in a bucket baby, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride!"

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:00:50 PM »
Mrfixit good advice because he would be using my vise.
Nice matters

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 01:10:37 PM »
Excellent sharpening kits, IMO.  Would recommend getting the diamond stones.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 01:21:46 PM »
My plan is to get the pro kit. For a bonehead he is a really great guy and deserves the best.
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 02:30:18 PM »
I have a Lansky basic kit.  It works okay and it is easy to get a consistent angle with the plastic bench mount.  I mounted mine to a hardwood cutting board and that way I can set it about anywhere to use it.  They also make a metal universal mounting device that isn't much more money.  If I had to do over I might buy that instead.   
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 02:32:26 PM »
Wsdstsan the cutting board is a good idea, thanks
Nice matters

Offline wissahickon

• Mill File+
    • Wissahickon Knives
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 02:55:27 PM »
The Lansky set is a decent way to get a decent edge.  I think the diamond kit is overkill for just sharpening blades.  You said he's lazy so I doubt he makes knives (in which case the diamond set is a good idea).  I use the diamond set to put all the initial edges on the knives I make but use the yellow honing rod from the ceramic set and a final strop (not the Lansky strop, btw) for the best edge a Lansky is capable of.  I don't care much for the blue sapphire honing rod.

There are a few drawbacks though, especially where laziness is concerned.  One, there are some tricks necessary to get the thing to give you a consistent edge that he may not be willing to mess with.  Two, it will be difficult to sharpen smaller knives as the stone will contact the clamp well before it touches the edge of the knife if the blade is narrow (Swiss Army Knives, for example). 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 04:27:25 PM »
I always kinda wanted one, but limped along without it for so long that I don't think I really need one anymore.  The grits on the diamond stones always seemed a little too severe to me.  :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 05:03:02 PM »
Being somewhat lazy, any sort of jig or appliance that requires a set up or detailed attention to use is usually more of a hindrance than an aid to a particular goal.

Whether or not a Lansky will help depends on what the real issue is. spending too much time because his angle is this, that and the other, or just don't care, looking for reason to get another :shrug: For full on laziness maybe one of those pull through type gizmos- I dont know how well they work though.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 05:09:32 PM »
The Lansky set is a decent way to get a decent edge.  I think the diamond kit is overkill for just sharpening blades.  You said he's lazy so I doubt he makes knives (in which case the diamond set is a good idea).  I use the diamond set to put all the initial edges on the knives I make but use the yellow honing rod from the ceramic set and a final strop (not the Lansky strop, btw) for the best edge a Lansky is capable of.  I don't care much for the blue sapphire honing rod.

There are a few drawbacks though, especially where laziness is concerned.  One, there are some tricks necessary to get the thing to give you a consistent edge that he may not be willing to mess with.  Two, it will be difficult to sharpen smaller knives as the stone will contact the clamp well before it touches the edge of the knife if the blade is narrow (Swiss Army Knives, for example).

Just joking about him being lazy. I learned how to use a stone when I worked as a meat cutter out of high school and have many hours of practice. He just does not have that kind of experience. Thank you for the input
Nice matters

Offline wissahickon

• Mill File+
    • Wissahickon Knives
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 05:22:11 PM »
Got ya.  The ceramic lansky set really is a great option.  I haven't used any of the other guided systems out there so I can't make a comparison but it is worth its weight in gold once you know how to use it properly (which is incredibly easy if you just pay attention). 

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 06:55:18 PM »
I've got one sitting around collecting dust. It's a good kit if your uncomfortable with a stone. I used mine a lot when I first got it. It'll put a pretty good edge on.
I will second the guys suggesting the diamond stones. Seems to me that when I used it the angle was never exactly the same as the factory edge so I'd have to put in some work with the course stone to get the angle matching the angle I wanted.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline wissahickon

• Mill File+
    • Wissahickon Knives
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 08:49:34 PM »
Saintnick, that is a good point I hadn't considered.  It's been a good long time since I've sharpened a knife on a Lansky, I just use them to put the initial edge on knives I make and then maintain my own knives on waterstones/strops.  I guess the diamond kit isn't overkill if your angles call for some heavy work. 

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 12:48:28 PM »
Purchased the Deluxe model, and found an old cutting board to mount it using the universal mount made by lansky. Thanks for all the input.
Nice matters

Offline Chekmate

• Mill File+
  • Keep Your Tinder Dry
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 09:45:20 PM »
I've had one for years.   But since I started stropping my blades after every day afield I haven't use them.  I haven't used a stone for two years.   I even carry a strop and and a small piece of jewelers compound in the field.  The Lansky kit is good though.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate
Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

Offline wissahickon

• Mill File+
    • Wissahickon Knives
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 06:24:46 AM »
Chekmate, I'm starting to lean in that direction myself.  Made up two little field strops for green and white compounds and then a third for Herbs Yellowstone Compound when I realized it worked better by itself than the green and white did together.  Not a whole lot of actual sharpening gets done on my personal knives anymore. 

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 05:05:18 PM »
I've have a Lansky kit for a long time. It is a good system. The thing it did for me was help me understand how to sharpen things. I only use it now when I'm dealing with a really messed up edge but I wouldn't trade what it taught me for nothing. I find proper maintenance and lack of abuse to be my best friend now. Good steel also helps the equation. Hope your results are positive.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 06:59:20 AM »

I debated buying a set for a awhile,  most of my life I used a stone and small fine file to get a sharp rdge on my knives,  but it did take care and time to get them super sharp,  then I discovered (like 'Creek) that if I didn't abuse my blades and I didn't let the edges go until they actually needed sharpening that quick strop or a few passes on a good butchers steel rendered actual sharpening needless.
 I can't remember when I last used anything but a pad and fine sandpaper to touch up a dulled knife or axe blade, and that's only a once in a great while thing,  or if sharpening a new cutting tool for the first time.
 I'd suggest a Lansky steel or a dual puck for in the field touch ups,  but personally don't have much use for a set such as the one pictured,  It might be fun to play with, but then I'm sure it would just take up space on a shelf in my workshop.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.