Author Topic: Jeff White Knives  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Jeff White Knives
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:43:15 AM »
Does anyone here have/use Jeff White Knives?  I struggle with the label "forged knife" when it appears that they use flat stock to begin with and cut/grind out the handle.  Are these blades actually forged?  Do they hold an edge?

Update: just found the thread where Jeff White knives are discussed.  Sounds like an 18th century Mora.  I may have to get a JW knife someday.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:09:11 AM by Quenchcrack »
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Jeff White Knives
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »
I have a couple of them.  A trade knife of some kind with a curly maple handle and then a small neck knife that would be okay for a patch knife and is also a good small skinning knife. 

I like them.  Easy to keep sharp, thin enough to be really good food prep knives, and all of them are passable as a re-enactors knife for about any period you want to choose. 

If you are heavy into batoning wood there are better choices.

Here is a thread from awhile back on them:    http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=10311.0
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:36:19 AM »
My opinion hasn't changed. I still have 2 and don't regret it. One I keep in my block in the kitchen and have cut up more beef with it than I should admit.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:53:45 AM »
 Not to contradict Stan, he's right in that most of Jeff White's knives were trade type knives of various sizes and styles, almost all with forge finish and curly maple scales,  I have a few of his knives and have been very well satisfied with them.
 Like Stan, I have a 3" bladed model that I use for a neck knife and a French styled trade knife with a 5" blade,  both have blade thicknesses of about 3/32",  they are well made hold a good edge and are excellent light duty camp knives,  they are great for food prep and good slicers.
 I also have one of Jeff's Bush Knives,  mine is about 3/16" thick, has a 4-1/4" blade and 4" curly maple scales,  the blade is very broad and overall the knife is a beast,  I have used it as my main woods knife for close to a year and it's been a great knife,  I've bottoned through wrist thick red and white oak, hard maple,  willow, and box elder with no problems,  I highly recommend this as a heavy duty bush knife,  just be sure when buying that it has the thicker blade.
 Usually you can tell by the price what model you're getting,  his light duty trade knives generally run $40.00 ~ $60.00,  medium duty knives about $70.00, and the heavy duty bush knives run about $120.00 to $150.00.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 12:30:26 PM »
I have not used or even seen one of his bush knives so I didn't talk about them.  I have read that they are thicker steel than the trade knives and can take more abuse. 

Jeff's knives are a good value at $50 to $70.  When they go over $100 to $150 then I would have to think about it.  For instance you can get a used Spyderco bushcraft knife for that price.  Kind of apples and oranges.... perhaps. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 03:21:48 PM »
Well, I have several sharpened crowbars that will do nicely for wood butchering.  I was thinking the JW knives might be a better example of a frontier knife than my Green River Hunter.  Not sure it really makes a big difference to the average visitor who knows nothing about knives.  Many of them don't know what that black stuff is in my forge.  I tell them it is fossilized licorice.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline mneedham

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 04:58:41 PM »
QC - You might also want to check out ML Knives, Matt makes some great, period-style blades too...

http://www.ml-knives.com/

Offline gizamo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 04:37:27 PM »
If your interested in  a period correct trade knife.  Then you need to contact Ken Hamilton. His pricing is a bit more than a Jeff White. But you are getting a knife that will pass muster at the strictest events. If that's your thing.