Author Topic: sharpening gadget  (Read 8803 times)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
sharpening gadget
« on: April 28, 2012, 07:44:57 AM »
My brother's b-day is coming up and I'm looking to get him one of those sharpening systems like the spyderco sharpmaker or something, anyone use anything like that, what do you recommend? thanks much.

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
Re: sharpening gadget
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:36:09 AM »
I've used Lansky kits for years.  Good quality and the guides help keep your angle steady and even.  I wore out the first set through many years of use, including sharpening a bunch of bayonets back in the army.  My buddies were amazed at how sharp the bayonets could actually get.  They have a few different kits, including a diamond set.
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 04:38:15 PM »
I have used , off & on for 25 years I think... one of these for touch-up sharpening.

Smith's makes them. Called a "V" sharpener I think...

As long as the blade is not super bad & just needs some touching up in the kitchen, these have worked just fine & the whole family finds no trouble doing it. Just keep the blade vertical & slice down the rods keeping the knife vertical. Same number of strokes per side. I.E. > 4 right 4 left then 3-3, 2-2, 1-1, strop..
 ;)
 The only difference is that the one we still have is only the 2 white ceramic sticks. We don't have the brown (third) one.
 :)

Fairly inexpensive & works.
Other than that, you could always "ante up" & then get a decent stone set also.
 ;)

Good luck!, & wish a Happy B-day to him from me!
 :D

He'd likely go,"What? Who?"
LOL
 ;)

Edit: forgot the doggone pic...lol
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:41:52 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 06:11:48 PM »
+1 on both the above.

Personally though, I have the Lansky and never use it - but I'm 'special' ;) or so they tell me.  I know a guy that can sharpen with those things, and he does a good job.  Too complicated for me, and all the letters after my name ADD, EIEIO, ASAP prevent me from making that system work...

*squirrel!*

Mn's recommend is also the bomb.  Had one growing up, and carried a red Normark hand held version for years.  Great idea - simple and fool proof.  I know this, because, like I said, I used one... :-\

I would add, IMHO, getting him a good leather strop with some compound on it, and teaching him to use it - just to round out the system you choose.

Q: how do these two systems handle true scandi grinds? ???  They're popular right now, so he's likely to come across it, no?  Perhaps a small diamond stone to round things out?

We'll spend your money for ya, no worries!

KK

What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:09:27 AM »
thanks for the tips guys.
My brother is a firefighter and all around busy badass, so I don't see him spending a ton of time learning stone sharpening right now, but he uses knives everyday, specifically kershaw and gerber autos right now and I wanted to set him up with something he could put a good edge on with in his short free time. when he was overseas one of his buddies who makes knives kept him sharpened up, but now I think he'd appreciate a convenient way to do it on his own.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
This little gadget is a great one for learning how to use bench stones...

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norton-Angle-Guide-Wedge-P203C16.aspx

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:00:37 PM »
thanks pw.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:24:23 PM »
The Spyderco Sharpmaker is a good tool.  Easy to use, fairly quick. and should last a long long time.  Great on kitchen knives too. 
It is one that you can't go wrong with due to its quality.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 08:28:37 PM »
I don't use a lansky much anymore, but they are are good system as long as you fallow the directions. It's am easy system and will put and edge on. Practice, as with anything, will help too.
Axes Rock!

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
I don't use a lansky much anymore, but they are are good system as long as you follow the directions. It's am easy system and will put and edge on. Practice, as with anything, will help too.
Axes Rock!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »
This diamond lap is my go-to gadget for kitchen and field touch ups. They come in two grades, and I recommend the "fine".

Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »
I like those little diamond laps, too, O.P.   I carry one in my bib overall pocket, clipped next to a two-piece screw-together brass ballpoint pen, an extendable antennae-type button magnet and a Sharpie felt tip marker.  They are great for sharpening concave surfaces on weed hooks, pocket knives, weigh next to nothing and I always have it with me because of its' lack of bulk.  I'm a sucker for its' solid brass, machined brass construction, too 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »
I like those little diamond laps, too, O.P.   I carry one in my bib overall pocket, clipped next to a two-piece screw-together brass ballpoint pen, an extendable antennae-type button magnet and a Sharpie felt tip marker.  They are great for sharpening concave surfaces on weed hooks, pocket knives, weigh next to nothing and I always have it with me because of its' lack of bulk.  I'm a sucker for its' solid brass, machined brass construction, too 8)
The thing I like about it is the diameter, and tapered tip. It's about the only thing I've found for sharpening the valleys in a serrated knife. The smaller crock sticks will work, but the diamond lap is more aggressive.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline brad.clarkston

• Whetstone +
    • Middle Age Ramblings
sharpening gadget
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 07:29:40 AM »
This diamond lap is my go-to gadget for kitchen and field touch ups. They come in two grades, and I recommend the "fine".

+1 on a retractible rod sharpener or even a paddle sharpener if your really cheap.

I would go with this over a bench system because it's far less complicated for a beginner and he can keep it with him for touchups wherever he goes vs needing to go home to sharpen anything.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 08:48:03 AM »

+1 on a retractible rod sharpener or even a paddle sharpener if your really cheap.

I would go with this over a bench system because it's far less complicated for a beginner and he can keep it with him for touchups wherever he goes vs needing to go home to sharpen anything.
Inexpensive (under $20) doesn't mean 'cheap' in this case. I even use mine on my machete in the field.
The one I showed doesn't 'retract'. You unscrew the heavy brass knurled end, draw out the lap, and screw it back into the handle.

Offline brad.clarkston

• Whetstone +
    • Middle Age Ramblings
sharpening gadget
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 09:49:18 AM »
Sorry about that I didn't mean to imply bad quality with the paddle sharpeners rather that they tend to be around $10 vs a Lansky Retractible diamond rod for $20 or the black version with the scissors sharpener on the outside of the case for $30.

There all about the same when it comes to sharpening an edge it just depends on how small and compact you want it or having extra cool boy features.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 10:32:15 AM »
thanks for the tips guys.
My brother is a firefighter and all around busy badass, so I don't see him spending a ton of time learning stone sharpening right now, but he uses knives everyday, specifically kershaw and gerber autos right now and I wanted to set him up with something he could put a good edge on with in his short free time. when he was overseas one of his buddies who makes knives kept him sharpened up, but now I think he'd appreciate a convenient way to do it on his own.
The one thing about any portable sharping system (e.g. 'paddle' style) that has a flat sharpening surface is that they require the same techniques as using a stone, maintaining proper angle, etc. The beauty of a round lap is that the technique is a bit different, and not nearly as difficult to master.
The "V" configuration of the crock stick style MNS suggested is even more of a no-brainer, because the sticks are at the proper angle, and you just draw the blade across in a vertical position. The drawback is that they consist of 3 pieces (2 sticks, a guard and the base), and not exactly something to stick in your pocket.

I don't know if this thread is still pertinent to the upcoming birthday present, or not, but I have one other suggestion if he has the time to learn just the basics of stone sharpening.  Now, I have former hunting partners who (now in their 60s) who still can't seem to use a stone effectively, so maybe this isn't a choice for your BIL.

I've never been able to justify the cost, but this system has always impressed me. You can expect to pay about $50 for a good one.

Just yesterday I was at my local lumber store, and they have the most ancient, beat up one you can imagine on the counter.  My Kershaw Blackout was in need of a touch up, so I made use of the Arkansaw stone while I waited for a cashier. Five strokes (each side) dry on the stone and I got a shaving edge back on my folder.

That said, it's not something you're going to carry around with you.

I hope you'll let us know what your final choice is/was.

Offline SouthernCross

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 03:10:25 AM »
G'day Binalith

...., what do you recommend? thanks much.

What works for the end user?

I have seen so much crap from internet wannaby's that wank on "at infinitium" about a particular grind, and yet have shown they know what they are talking about, that I no longer pay any attention to what they are saying.

IMO, if it works for the user, that's all that matters.

Because what work for a user, is got to be a hell of a better than what collectors (who don't use knives), reckon is needed, based on what their "gurus" recomend (which will typically be what they supply & make money from). LMFAO x 10

IMO, before you swallow typical internet BS, have a good look for youself that the those who recommed a particular grind can back it up, with verifiable first hand experience.

That whay you will know that your decision is based on first hand experience, rather that just opinion.  :D

Kind regards
Mick  :rofl:

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »
I went with the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I watched some vids and read a ton of reviews and it seemed worth a shot. I can't wait to give it to him so I can try it out haha. thanks for all the words of wisdom and suggestions, much appreciated.

Offline Bibbs

• Mill File+
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »
hate to say it but I could you grab a 5 dollars sharpener from the walmart down the road as well as a 15 dollars soft arkansas oil hone from the flea market
Akoyeh