Author Topic: Spyderco Serrata  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Spyderco Serrata
« on: July 21, 2016, 05:33:04 PM »
I have several Spyderco fixed blades, and picked up this Serrate while on my last trip.  I visited a fairly well known knife fellow,  and he was showing me some of the Spyderco knives he had written about.  I got a 'brother in law' deal on this very slightly used knife.
I have had the opportunity to work with several different species of wood, while camping and hiking in Virginia and North Carolina.  Soft wood, hard wood, vines, paper, cordage............ the knife does not care what you test it with.  No matter the material, it cuts through it easily.
The steel is cast 440C.  It obviously was heat treated perfectly  Taiwan made.
Middle of the road cost, around $150, depending on where you find one.  Well worth the money,  and it's a quite beautiful knife as well.  It will do all the usual bushcraft tasks, and do them well.  It comes with a very well made Kydex sheath.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
Re: Spyderco Serrata
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 07:22:47 PM »
Looks like a great blade Sam. I like my spyderco knives as well. Bring it to the next meet.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 08:21:13 PM »
If I had not made a vow to stop buying knives that I do no need that one might have found it's way into my kit.  Nice design for an all around.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 05:50:05 AM »
the fellow that I got this one from, tells me that it excels at processing dead animals.  With the 440C steel, you might not want to do a lot of heavy batoning, but for all around camp chores, and kitchen chores, it's a good choice.