Author Topic: 5.11 PUSH Pack  (Read 3870 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
5.11 PUSH Pack
« on: July 25, 2016, 07:36:13 AM »
I've been carrying this bag for a coupla months now.  The idea was to CC without changing my summertime wardrobe.  Not that it's anything special.  It's just comfortable. 

http://www.511tactical.com/push-pack.html

I carried a pretty usual assortment of stuff. 

The CC pocket was zippered with both Velcro and some straps (Not impressed with the straps).

Padded back rode comfortably.  I think that's a Velcro belt loop to prevent movement.

Bottom had drain holes and some attachment points.

The strap was not very comfortable with a load.  It was ok with a collared shirt but with a T shirt it chaffed my neck (How's that for a girly complaint?).  Not exactly what I was looking for since I wear T shirts most of the time.  Granted I was carrying a steel pistol.  Not really a lightweight carry gun.  So I'm looking for some long tailed collared SS shirts to be able to comfortably carry a 1911 in the pack or a smaller something IWB.

I got this pack for a great deal.  I might be a little miffed if I had paid full retail.  As it is, I can live with it.  Nobody blinked at my man purse traveling in 5 states in eateries or stores.  I may step up next to a less tacticool slingpack for comfort and a little more volume.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: 5.11 PUSH Pack
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:47:13 AM »

511 makes top quality gear,  in my opinion every bit as good and in some ways better than Maxpedition,  I had one of their 511 Rush MOAB 10 sling bags,  and had the same problem with the strap riding high and chaffing my neck,  the heavier the load out the worse the chaffing got.
  I've since sold it and I'm in the process of trying to find a bag to replace it,  in the meantime I'm using my small tactical Falcon 2 assault pack for a day bag,  it's a great backpack for a day bag and can be stretched for an overnight pack,  and it's suspension system is quite comfortable.
  That said, it's still a backpack,  my problem is that because of a slowly escalating problem with arthritis in my shoulders I'm finding it harder and more painful to get a backpack on and off because of the dual straps,  a sling bag is much easier and less painful to get on and off.
  The problem with sling bags is they all have a problem with strap creep and neck bite,  it's inherent in the one strap design,  I've tried several different types and brands, they all have the same problem to different degrees,  the only one that didn't and the one that I've settled on is the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack,  the bag is the right size,  has all the organizational requirements I like,  fits and carries well and is firearm ready, I've had my Scandiam frame 1911 commander in it and it carries well,  the one difference between it and the other bags I tested is that it comes with an additional strap that comes across the body back to front to keep the carrying strap from creeping up on your shoulder and digging in to your neck, the "keeper" strap and the main carry strap both have quick release snap buckles for easy on and off,  another feature I like is that the bag can be worn on the hip or at the small of the back depending on your prefered style of carry.
 About the only drawback to the bag is they aren't cheap, MSRP is about $100.00,  Amazon has them for about $86.00 with free shipping,  but the quality is there and the buy once/cry once rule applies.     
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 09:21:08 AM »
   Trying using a towel to help with the strap issue. even a small one wrapped around the strap. It worked well in the Corps when ya had a strap chafing some places. And a towel can come in handy for other uses, as I am sure ya know.
;)

Looks like a nice bag though. It would be nice to see how it looks when loaded & worn.
:)

I hope it works out for ya. And I hope you & the missus are enjoying the Summer in the Mtns.
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 09:36:45 AM »
That looks like a well built bag Max.  Versatile and durable. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 09:45:30 AM »
Thanks guys.  Overall,  it is a tough bag.

Here's some shots I got wearing it MS.

Hard to see but try to maybe try to magnify it.

Refilling at spring. 

It's better hiking than for biking.  It would slowly slip to the front.  A belt to keep it on my rump would solve this.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:13:05 PM »
  Thanks Man! It really looks like it carries well. I like the looks of it even better now that I see how it rides. I have trouble with my modified USGI gasmask bag sometimes in how it rides. Still trying to tweak it. But yours there has a lot more pockets & such & I like that.
:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing the pics of ya wearin it!
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 01:17:21 PM »
It replaced a gas mask bag from the Beast. LOL.  I had one of those "Thock, I could've had a V8!" when you mentioned the towel.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 02:04:14 PM »
It replaced a gas mask bag from the Beast. LOL.  I had one of those "Thock, I could've had a V8!" when you mentioned the towel.
Sheesh......you missed a PERFECT situational opportunity to use the 'head-smack' icon, Tony! :doh:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 02:12:10 PM »
LOL.  I had my computer "fixed" awhile back and I can't get the emoticons to work.  There are other problems but I just don't feel like getting all worked up about computer problems which ties with road rage and politics as triggers that push me into... well, an unhappy state of mind.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »
That's a cool looking pack Tony, I love sling packs. When I went motorbike camping this past weekend, the only thing I forgot to pack was my pistol. I'm trying to find a leg drop pouch kinda contraption that I can use while riding not only for the pistol, but some other items I'd like quick access to.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 04:34:17 PM »
Nice bag Tony, might give thought to one of those wool covers for seat belts.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 05:28:46 PM »
I have one of the same design but I do not CC with it. I use it as a day hike bag.  My problem is I can put just too much crap in it and it becomes a boat anchor.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 05:48:34 PM »
Too much stuff became an issue.

Sheepskin..... ooooo la la!
Hunter S, Thompson

Online crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 03:31:39 AM »
I've got the Maxpedition versions of it.  That belt loop not only keeps the pack from bouncing around while you walk, but can take a little of the load off your shoulder which will prevent the neck chaffing problem.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 08:41:08 AM »
Maybe I'll fiddle some more with the carry to make it work in the summer.  The LCP is very easy.  But it has it's own limitations. 

... and don't even go, "Have you tried a Glock?"  LOL.

Anyway.  Good tough little pack if you recognize it's limits.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 08:52:24 PM »

Max,

I've been using the Maxpedition jumbo Versipack version of that bag as a day pack,  the arthritis in my shoulders has made it difficult to get into and out of a conventional backpack,  I did try a 511 Rush MOAB 10 sling bag,  but it didn't work out well for me.
 My shoulder bag like yours is easy to slip on and off, carries everything I need for a day trip or even an overnighter if I wanted to by tacking my hammock and green patrol bag to the bottom of the pack,  one thing you might try is to carry the pack more towards the middle of your back than on your hip,  if I move it from my hip to my back,  then back to my hip every so often I can carry it all day with no discomfort.
 As far as carrying my handgun in the rear pocket of the bag,  I don't,  it fits but it's hard to get to if you pack the bag tight, I carry my handgun in a belt holster and use the pistol pocket to store a large plastic garbage bag and a thin pliable piece of cutting board for food prep or place mat for eating off of.
 I was a bit intimidated by it's size when I got it,  I figured I'd never get enough of my kit into it to make it worthwhile,  but surprisingly it holds allot more than I expected it to,  with a large Nalgene bottle full of water and food along with all my gear it weighs out at about 10 pounds and carries comfortably.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 07:45:53 AM »
Thanks Moe.  I bought a Ruger LCP to stuff IWB holster or a pocket.  Hate the way it shoots but that's not really the deal with a pocket pistol.  The bag is now a grab BOB.  Pretty minimal but it's FL.  Water, knife, snack, Bic, etc.  I can't walk far until I go under the knife so it is enough.

...it's a man purse.  who're we kidding.  LOL.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 01:32:15 PM »
Thanks Moe.  I bought a Ruger LCP to stuff IWB holster or a pocket.  Hate the way it shoots but that's not really the deal with a pocket pistol.  The bag is now a grab BOB.  Pretty minimal but it's FL.  Water, knife, snack, Bic, etc.  I can't walk far until I go under the knife so it is enough.

...it's a man purse.  who're we kidding.  LOL.

I hear you about limited mobility, I had knee surgery a few years ago,  practically had to learn to walk all over again,  it sucks,  but the alternative is worse,  all we can do is keep on keeping on.
   Smoke and prayers for a quick recovery my friend.     :cheers:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 01:59:07 PM »
Thank ya sir!
Hunter S, Thompson