Author Topic: FREE PRINTABLE 1:24000 USGS QUAD MAPS FROM NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC  (Read 1238 times)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
FINALLY!  :banana:

This site was brought to my attention this morning via PM by my old friend MnSportsman.  He really hit the ball out of the park with this one.....THANK YOU, JB! :hail: :cheers:

FREE!! Printable USGS PDF Quads
A Quick, Easy, and Free way to Download any Quad in the Country
National Geographic has built an easy to use web interface that allows anyone to quickly find any quad in the country for downloading and printing. Each quad has been pre-processed to print on a standard home, letter size printer. These are the same quads that were printed by USGS for decades on giant bus-sized pressed but are now available in multi-page PDFs that can be printed just about anywhere. They are pre-packaged using the standard 7.5 minute, 1:24,000 base but with some twists:
Page 1 is an overview map showing the Quad in context
Pages 2 through 5 are the standard USGS Quads cut in quarters to fit on standard printers
Hillshading has been added to each page of the PDF to help visualize the topography
*Please note: 0.5% of the quads have not been processed yet. These quads will appear as originally published by USGS.

http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: FREE PRINTABLE 1:24000 USGS QUAD MAPS FROM NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 10:58:30 AM »
I just went on, got the map that includes our farm, printed it out.  It shows the route of the now abandoned  Chicago and North Western RR line that used to haul sugar beets from the dumps along the Belle Fourche river into the the plant in Belle Fourche.  How neat.  It also shows most of the farms in the area although some were built after the map was made. 

Thanks Wolfy and MS for this item.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 12:02:38 PM »
Thanks Boys  :cheers: while this does not let me print them off per say, It does allow me to zoom in and get some great detail on local trails that had been sorely lacking with our choices
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Pennsylvania Mike

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 07:20:10 AM »
Great find wolfy, thanks for the posting the information.
Prepared for the worse, hope for the best.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 05:17:17 PM »
  Glad ya found it "postworthy", Wolfy! I only had a short time to send it to ya by PM, as I wanted to get it shared here at B&B , but I have been having phone/internet connection issues for the last week & I figured if I tried to post it up myself, I would get disconnected & then have to do it again & it would have pissed me off. Better to just pass it on to the B&B Maestro of Maps & Land Nav. , Wolfy... than to muck around with it myself.

Glad to see that it has had some use to some, & Thanks! to ya, Wolfy, for sharing it with the group!
:thumbsup: & :cheers: back at ya!
:D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 03:45:06 PM »
Thats awesome JB :thumbsup: and thanks for steering me in this direction Craig...saved to favorites :cheers: :cheers:
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 04:15:29 PM »
I'm really surprised that only 5 of us so far, have found this site to be of use to them.  I've been looking for something this simple to use for printing 1:24,000 sections of a standard 7.5 minute quadrangle map for YEARS and this is the first time it's been done, as far as I know.  Most helpful, quick, easy and FREE! :banana:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX