Author Topic: Some more shots of the Dream Mora....  (Read 6669 times)

Offline CJ60

• Mill File+
  • "There is no Honor if there is no Honesty"
    • Cook's Custom Knives Blog
Some more shots of the Dream Mora....
« on: April 28, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
Just figured I'd throw up a few more pics of my Custom Mora.... It's so hard to remember to stop along the way and take pictures, but I do have a few before it was finished... I will post another tomorrow of a Kitchen paring/Camping blade I made for my lovely wife, and used nothing but hand tools on it... Rasps, files, sandpaper, Mora #2 (of course) and horn from the first deer I ever shot...
Anyway, on to the Mora pictures...

And I dont know if it is a first, but the gold piece just behind the brass guard is fatwood.... Not the stump kind mind you, but that old, bleached out white, almost petrified fatwood... Got a piece right now I am going to make a custom Ulu for a fellow... It is going to be freaking cool!!!! I had to have the Ulu made by a friend of a friend up in Alaska because you cant find them anywhere in 1095, 01, or any other good old High Carbon Steel, only Stainless... And he does not like Stainless... Thats why I like crusty old farts, they know good steel..
Anyway, enjoy fellas!
Another BCUSA "Reject"....

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
Re: Some more shots of the Dream Mora....
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »
That has to be  one of the prettiest Moras I have seen.  I got a small bit of  fatwood and thought it would make a cool knife  to shame I don't have   a big enough  chunk  for a full handle
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline CJ60

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 11:33:04 PM »
That has to be  one of the prettiest Moras I have seen.  I got a small bit of  fatwood and thought it would make a cool knife  to shame I don't have   a big enough  chunk  for a full handle
I will find one and send it to you buddy.... Got a bunch of it just down the road from my house.... Just gotta watch for the Cottonmouths and Copperheads... Dried up swampy area, but crawling with snakes.
But I think that may be why there is so much "petrified" Fatwood there, sat in water for years and "stabilized" itself... Let me know how big you need, and I will post a pic of the piece I am using for that Ulu..

Offline CJ60

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 11:48:09 PM »

Here is the big piece, and this is just sanded with 320 grit. I thin I have a shot of it after 600 grit and buffing wheel, but will have to find it... It is about 1 1/4" in diameter and 5 1/4" long...

Here is the piece that I took the chunk off for the Mora, I have actually used two other pieces off of it on other knives...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:51:20 PM by CJ60 »

Offline CJ60

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:00:26 AM »

Fire steel set I made for a buddy, also used that Fatwood for the handle... I'm telling ya, it has a lot more use than just being the best firestarter!!

Offline CJ60

• Mill File+
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 12:08:03 AM »

A buddy from "that OTHER board" made me this pouch, my pup chewed the bone closure so I made this one out of Fatwood.... See, a bazillion uses!!
Can y'all tell I like this Fatwood? Okay, I'll stop now, time for some sleeeeeep....

Offline jontok

• Super Duper Ultra Goderator!
  • Whetstone +
  • Secret World Overlord
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 01:49:57 AM »
That's a very nice knife you've mad there. Well done! :)
Intercrafting: The art of venturing out on the internet, and finding pics of things you can't be bothered to do in real life. :D  -Me

Offline Mammoth

• Mill File+
  • Fear profits a man nothing
    • Wood and Knife Supply
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 02:30:39 AM »
Lovely work, you've got a great mixture of textures and colours going on in that handle, excellent   :)

Tom
Wood and Knife Supplies & Mammoth Blades
'Make no little plans, they have no magic to stir men?s blood'

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 07:04:31 AM »
Wow, the colors really come out in the sunlight! That is a beautiful knife CJ60! I'll say it again...nice work!  :thumbsup:

Offline CJ60

• Mill File+
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 09:35:16 AM »
 :cheers:  :fire1: :cheers:   =   :banana:

Thanks again everyone...

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 09:44:56 AM »
holy crap dude, that's gorgeous.
wait so you found that fatwood in a salt marsh or just an old bog?
and what is that pommel material?

Offline CJ60

• Mill File+
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »
holy crap dude, that's gorgeous.
wait so you found that fatwood in a salt marsh or just an old bog?
and what is that pommel material?
Fatwood came from dried up swamp, I think it was formed with the Hurricanes in '04-'05... Been dry for 3 yrs..
And the Pommel is horn from the first buck I ever shot 30+ yrs ago... Hate to admit it, but it really was due to mistake. Forgot how long the rat tail tang was, sanding away, and exposed it... So needed to cover it, but already had that lovely rounded shape and wanted to keep it... So I sanded, tried to fit (round to round not too easy without gaps), sanded some more, crap... Finally the light went on... Used leather as a spacer, filled gaps perfectly, then when epoxy dried, I stabilized the leather with super- super glue, hardened up wonderfully, sanded like wood, and took the oil finish and buffing just great! So like my wife said, "some great things can come from mistakes".... Oh so true, cause so many people have commented on liking that Pommel...

Thanks for the question and compliment!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:12:54 PM by CJ60 »

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 12:46:38 PM »
Really gorgeous knife!  Great work!
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 01:15:17 PM »
Great knife and great pics!  Thanks for sharing.  I appreciate the inside info -it's always great to hear about these serendipitous 'mistakes' turning out so well!  Give us lesser 'craftsmen' hope! ;)

kk
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
  • Lover of Navaja's & all things Sharp!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »
Just figured I'd throw up a few more pics of my Custom Mora.... It's so hard to remember to stop along the way and take pictures, but I do have a few before it was finished... I will post another tomorrow of a Kitchen paring/Camping blade I made for my lovely wife, and used nothing but hand tools on it... Rasps, files, sandpaper, Mora #2 (of course) and horn from the first deer I ever shot...
Anyway, on to the Mora pictures...

And I dont know if it is a first, but the gold piece just behind the brass guard is fatwood.... Not the stump kind mind you, but that old, bleached out white, almost petrified fatwood... Got a piece right now I am going to make a custom Ulu for a fellow... It is going to be freaking cool!!!! I had to have the Ulu made by a friend of a friend up in Alaska because you cant find them anywhere in 1095, 01, or any other good old High Carbon Steel, only Stainless... And he does not like Stainless... Thats why I like crusty old farts, they know good steel..
Anyway, enjoy fellas!

That IS the most BEAUTIFUL Mora I have ever seen!!!  8)   Simply fantastic Sir! :thumbsup:
Not all who Wander are Lost. Member #3

Offline Price_is_Right

• Mill File
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 09:29:14 PM »
That is one good looking Mora. Looks like a good homage to a Kellam or a Helle. Very good job  8)!!

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
I am usually disgusted by the sight of Mora's but I must confess that is ONE BEAUTIFUL knife! Good job.
Act or be Acted Upon!