Author Topic: Rough Rider Knives  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
Rough Rider Knives
« on: August 12, 2016, 08:14:45 AM »
Ever since Wolfy extolled the virtues of Rough Rider Knives, I have become a fan, too.  All except the Trapper models.  I now own two trappers (full size 4-1/8" closed).  Both are impossible to open without steel finger nails.  My smaller RR knives open just fine but the back springs on the two trappers is incredibly stiff.  I have literally broken finger nails trying to pry them open.  I have tried to oil them and even applied Moly Disulfide lock lube to no avail.  I know a full size Trapper does not need this level of stiffness to keep the blades open as my Case does not have this problem.  I have received no response from the Rough Rider website about what can be done to remedy this problem.  I have Case knives with small problems and when I contacted customer service, I received a response within 24 hours.  OK, it is still true:  You get what you pay for.  My suggestion is to stay away from the RR Trapper models, the smaller models are pretty good for the price.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
Re: Rough Rider Knives
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 06:05:03 PM »
Quench thank you for posting your experience with RR trapper, I was going to give one a try, trappers and stockmans being my favorite folders, but now will rethink purchasing a rough rider, even if Wolfy approved.
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 06:55:19 PM »
Quench thank you for posting your experience with RR trapper, I was going to give one a try, trappers and stockmans being my favorite folders, but now will rethink purchasing a rough rider, even if Wolfy approved.
Although some Rough Rider knives have been granted the coveted "WOLFY APPROVED" status, I would be remiss in not pointing to the fact that it has never been bestowed upon any of their trapper models.  :-X     It is an earned honor that is only given after rigorous testing. 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 07:04:01 PM »
Although some Rough Rider knives have been granted the coveted "WOLFY APPROVED" status, I would be remiss in not pointing to the fact that it has never been bestowed upon any of their trapper models.  :-X     It is an earned honor that is only given after rigorous testing. 8)

Understood. The Wolfy seal of approval carries mucho weight in my book.
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 07:08:59 PM »

Understood. The Wolfy seal of approval carries mucho weight in my book.

:lol: :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 08:35:10 PM »
As I mentioned earlier, the copperhead, medium trapper, and stockman all function perfectly and I would award them the QC Rusty Hammer trophy.
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 08:45:32 PM »
As I mentioned earlier, the copperhead, medium trapper, and stockman all function perfectly and I would award them the QC Rusty Hammer trophy.

The QC rusty hammer trophy. I like it.
Nice matters