Author Topic: Bass Pro Shops Buys Cabela's  (Read 1544 times)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
Bass Pro Shops Buys Cabela's
« on: October 06, 2016, 07:08:33 AM »

Hi Everyone!

I'm surprised there is not more discussion about this.  I had heard several months ago that Cabela's was in financial difficulty as a result of declining sales.  It appears that they needed to sell the company.

It's unclear how this will affect us (consumers) as the two consolidate operations.  I am a Cabela's customer but have never shopped at Bass Pro Shops. 

What do you think of this development?

Here's USA Today's story:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/10/03/bass-pro-shops-cabelas-acquisition/91459212/

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Re: Bass Pro Shops Buys Cabela's
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 08:39:57 AM »
I have shopped both and I prefer Cabelas to BassPro.  Cabela's brand is much better quality than Redhead in my experience.  I do wonder if they will remain two separate entities or if Cabela's will all become BassPro shops.   
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 09:15:48 AM »
it's a non issue for me.  There are no Cabelas outlets in Florida, and we are opening a brand new Bass Pro here in Gainesville, later this month.

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 10:38:56 AM »
The deal is not done yet but it's just a matter of formality. I don't think Cabelas needed to sell where did you get that?
I for one would rather it not happen.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 10:47:13 AM »
I posted a comment about it yesterday in another thread.  It is a business alternative that appears to have been the best alternative for the shareholders of Cabela's. 

Bass Pro is a good marketer of Ranger Bass boats.  The rest of their stuff, in my limited experience with them, is not of the quality offered by Cabela's.  Time will tell I guess.  Probably will give me a chance to shop at Scheel's more now.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 10:49:33 AM »
The deal is not done yet but it's just a matter of formality. I don't think Cabelas needed to sell where did you get that?
I for one would rather it not happen.

I believe it is a done deal.  The sale was what was best for Cabela's shareholders given the issues they have with their ownership.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2016/10/bass_pro_to_buy_cabelas.html
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 11:07:34 AM »
I was very impressed with the Cabela's that I visited awhile back.  But I'll be going to the same BassPro as Mannlicher when they get it built.  30 mins.  Orlando BassPro is 60 mins.  Nearest Cabela's?  12 1/2 hrs.  It would be cheaper to fly than drive.

We have a Gander Mountain here that tries to be our go to hunting and fishing superstore.  fail.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 04:43:24 PM »
From Stans link..
"Bass Pro Shops is buying Cabela's in a $5.5 billion deal, the companies announced Monday morning (Oct. 3). The purchase, if approved, will combine two well-known outdoor retailers and create a company with 39,000 employees and 184 stores."
If approved.
I have no reason to believe it won't be. I speaking as a share holder don't care for it.
When Cabelas went public we bought some and it looks like now we will make some money but I do not think it is a good move for the company or it's customer's.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 07:42:02 PM »
Quite a success story.  A 5.5 BILLION dollar sale of a business that started very humbly in NEBRASKA!  :thumbsup:

Cabela's History....
Few, if any, businesses today survive the kitchen-table dreams of their founders, especially in the outdoor industry where businesses come and go with the changing seasons. Yet, the leader in the outdoor equipment business has done just that - survived, grown and prospered from simple beginnings to become the largest mail-order, retail and internet outdoor outfitter in the world.

Cabela's, the World's Foremost Outfitter of hunting, fishing and outdoor gear, was born somewhat inadvertently in 1961 when Dick Cabela came up with a plan to sell fishing flies he purchased while at a furniture show in Chicago. Upon returning home to Chappell, Nebraska, Dick ran a classified ad in the Casper, Wyoming, newspaper reading: "12 hand-tied flies for $1." It generated one response.  :'(

Undaunted, Dick formulated a new plan, rewriting the ad to read "FREE Introductory offer! 5 hand tied flies.... $.25 Postage....Handling" and placing it in national outdoor magazines. It didn't take long for the orders to begin arriving from sportsmen and women around the country.  The rest is history!  :banana:

For an old NEBRASKA boy, THAT'S NOT TOO BAD!  :hail:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Punty

• Whetstone +
  • puntyventures.com
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 09:04:18 PM »
  Never been to Cabela's, since they were never in this area until just this year.

I did, however, buy my Becker BK9 from them, and some arrows.
If the iron be blunt, and he do not whet the edge, then must he put to more strength: but wisdom is profitable to direct.
Ecclesiastes 10:10

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 05:57:57 PM »
To add a bit to the sale of Cabela's to Bass Pro Shops........

I had not been to the Rapid City Cabela's for several months.  I had a Cabela's club card that I used a lot for routine credit card purchases like fuel, farm supplies, ad infinitum......  Because Bass Pro was going to switch from Visa to MasterCard for Club purchases with it's resultant card number change I opted to cancel the card after using my accumulated points.  I bought a new trail camera and paid cash for the difference.
I pay several bills on autopay with a credit card,  Things like auto and farm insurance, prescriptions, and memberships and subscriptions.  Since I was going to have to change numbers regardless of the card I used I went with a Visa card I had for years before I went to the Cabela's card.  It irritated me that I had to change all those accounts so the company making me do that won't get any more business from me.  I spent my last dime at Cabela's and future gear purchases will be at online vendors or the local Scheels store.

In addition they have eliminated the bargain cave which was where I always went to see about optic returns on binoculars and spotting scopes. 

Cabela's had a lot of Red Head stuff in their clothing department on this trip.  I have had Red Head items in the past and if the quality of what I got is the same today then people will be unhappy.  There is much less Cabela's branded clothing and it would seem it will not continue to be offered.  In general their prices have increased for everything.  The prices for bbq supplies and accessories are so high it made me laugh. 

JMOYRMBD.

(Mark Twain)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 08:15:19 PM »
To add a bit to the sale of Cabela's to Bass Pro Shops........

I had not been to the Rapid City Cabela's for several months.  I had a Cabela's club card that I used a lot for routine credit card purchases like fuel, farm supplies, ad infinitum......  Because Bass Pro was going to switch from Visa to MasterCard for Club purchases with it's resultant card number change I opted to cancel the card after using my accumulated points.  I bought a new trail camera and paid cash for the difference.
I pay several bills on autopay with a credit card,  Things like auto and farm insurance, prescriptions, and memberships and subscriptions.  Since I was going to have to change numbers regardless of the card I used I went with a Visa card I had for years before I went to the Cabela's card.  It irritated me that I had to change all those accounts so the company making me do that won't get any more business from me.  I spent my last dime at Cabela's and future gear purchases will be at online vendors or the local Scheels store.

In addition they have eliminated the bargain cave which was where I always went to see about optic returns on binoculars and spotting scopes. 

Cabela's had a lot of Red Head stuff in their clothing department on this trip.  I have had Red Head items in the past and if the quality of what I got is the same today then people will be unhappy.  There is much less Cabela's branded clothing and it would seem it will not continue to be offered.  In general their prices have increased for everything.  The prices for bbq supplies and accessories are so high it made me laugh. 

JMOYRMBD.

I have been disappointed with Cabela's for a couple of years now but was excited when they opened a store here in Alb. Not what I thought so I still go to sportsmen's warehouse, I like their prices and the staff is nice. So many brands from my childhood are changing and the changes are disappointing. I understand the importance of the bottom line but it seems to me that the quest for ever increasing profits is ruining their products' quality and customer service. I honestly believe cost accounting decisions are made for cents per unit and it is killing the quality of products whether they are made here or in china, the same goes for their customer service labor costs.

In regards to the bbq supplies their must be a lot of money running through the pockets of the average American because they would not charge prices that high without someone to be willing to pay it. However the average American does not have enough money in the bank to but a new fridge. I just don't understand it.
Nice matters