Author Topic: Knife scale question  (Read 521 times)

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
Knife scale question
« on: December 21, 2016, 04:06:28 AM »
So after looking at a pretty cool website that hayshaker was kind enough to post I got to thinking has anyone ever made scales made out of pine cone pieces? What I mean is taking the brown pieces off one by one and then stabilizing them. Would it even work? Is it something feasible?
The more you look with your eyes the less you will truly see.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
Re: Knife scale question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:24:22 AM »
hey pete28
you cann buy those already and i've seen corn cob as well, cool stuff.
i'm going to start doing my knives with mosaic pins i will make.

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:27:19 AM »
Thanks Hay shake that's pretty darn cool! I have a couple of knife maker friends on here and other places that would like these. I am hoping to try my hand at making some mycarta scales after the holidays if I am able to get a vacuum pump and was contemplating materials to use for the mycarta. I have seen some cool things used. One of our guys here used monkey fur out of palmetto's and the scales came out awesome!

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 04:35:26 AM »
Yes, I have stabilized pine cones and corn cobs.  Still experimenting on the process to get the results I want.

Offline pete28

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 04:41:21 AM »
I'd love to see pictures some day Dave. I'm not sure if it was you or hushnel that I talked to about seeing if anyone tried using spanish moss that has been rhetted. Basically the fine black fibers that are left after removing the plant matter. I have made some beautiful cordage out of it and its really strong.