Author Topic: deer handled knives  (Read 610 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
deer handled knives
« on: December 25, 2016, 07:59:46 AM »
over time looking ast tons of deer handled knives i;ve only seen a couple of
instances where i've seen bone used as the blade guard. it seems it's always brass or nickel silver.
what's wrong    with bone. is it considerd too weak or what?

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
Re: deer handled knives
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 11:14:40 AM »
I tried to use an antler crown as a guard once (large hidden tang) the only trouble was being overzealous in fitting, so it cracked before getting set in place. Just a little too heavy handed tapping it down, so close :(

Since then I've used antler and buffalo horn as the first piece in a stacked hilt. Not really a guard per se but in the same position- butted against the shoulders of the tang. Works fine as long as you can keep top/bottom of the piece at the tang thick enough.-at least 1/8" + is better, but you want the tang wide as possible not rat tail like.

I've never had a piece of bone thick enough to use as a guard/bolster. I made a gladius/fantasy sword once with an elk leg hilt. After it was done it was kinda cool, but I messed up in carving, reshaping the knee joint at the pommel, so I decided to break if off. It was filled with marine epoxy. It was not easy to smash and chop it free with a rip claw hammer. Elk legs are pretty tough. If you got a large one, sawed it for slabs, I think you find parts at least 1/4" thick, maybe more.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown