Author Topic: Work Sharp Knife sharpener  (Read 10328 times)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Work Sharp Knife sharpener
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »
Excellent review. My first real job was in a meat market so I learned how to sharpen knives. Was given a three minute lesson, then after months of ridicule from my comrades, I got good at it. When the head meat cutter asks you to sharpen his knives, it is a sign to everyone on the block that you have passed the test.

Having said that, I recently used an edge pro, and sharpen a knife sharper and faster than anything I could have achieved myself freehand. Tried a lansky, its okay, but the edgepro blew lansky away. The model I used runs about 700.00, but you can get a version for 200.00.

Coincidentally, the task of sharpening ALL of the knives in the convention center kitchen was laid at my feet by Chef Palmer, my old grouchy employer when he caught me putting an edge back on my personal chef's knife.  I guess he approved of my technique.  ???   That's all I did for two or three days, but he said he didn't care how long it took me as long as I got them all sharpened.   It took a LOT of work & time and some of them should have probably just been thrown away, but it was better than wrapping thousands of slimy chicken livers in bacon strips!  :-\

BTW......ANYBODY REMEMBER THESE? :shrug:  You wasted a lot of money, Moe! :lol:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:30:33 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2017, 11:39:31 AM »

BTW......ANYBODY REMEMBER THESE? :shrug:  You wasted a lot of money, Moe! :lol:

I don't think so,  way back when, I inherited a Magic Chef electric knife sharpener from my mother,  it had a series of small abrasive wheels and slots to draw your knife through,  it did sharpen kitchen knives all right, but it whittled the blade down quite a bit every time you used it,  since than I used all the stones, steels, ceramic sticks, and sand paper that are available for knife sharpening,  also Smith's and Lansky gismos like the one in your picture,  they do put and edge on most really dull knives, but they all have one thing in common,  that's that they don't hone a good edge, what they do is score the sides of the blade leaving a chattering toothy type of edge that kind of resembles a micro serrated  edge.
 It'll cut a tomato ok and slice through a steak pretty well,  but don't try to shave hair off your body with it unless you want to scrape skin off with it,  it won't slice paper, make feather sticks, or skin fish,  and if you use those type of sharpeners on a regular basis you end up with a blade that resembles a saw rather than a knife blade.
 I'm not going to suggest that the edge that the WorkSharp put an edge on a knife equal to that of a high end custom knife maker,  but with a little practice you can get pretty damned close.
 Remember all those junk knives I talked about in my overview update,  they got to be junk because they were cheap to begin with,  but what ruined their edges was too much sharpening with the type of sharpener you pictured in your post.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
SHEEEESH!.......I guess I needed to explain that I was JUST KIDDING! :doh: :shrug: :rolleyes:

:cheers::tent:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2017, 12:11:53 PM »
SHEEEESH!.......I guess I needed to explain that I was JUST KIDDING! :doh: :shrug: :rolleyes:

:cheers::tent:

No need old pard,  I know you better than to think you weren't just busting my chops,  besides, you wouldn't be needing one of theses things anyway,  those cheap Mora's you carry in your bibs just get thrown out and replaced when they dull out anyway.

Excuse the lack of smiley's,  I lost them and spell check when we went to Windows Ten,  B&B says it's Microsoft's fault, Microsoft says it's the forum's screw up,  there's no one left to argue with.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »
Heck.....you can always argue with ME!  :duel::rofl: :cheers:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2017, 01:44:24 PM »
Them ain't cheap Moras in his bibs.  Them are cheap Opinels.   ;)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2017, 04:05:38 PM »
Them ain't cheap Moras in his bibs.  Them are cheap Opinels.   ;)

Well yah but, Opinels are real sportsmen's and outdoors knives,  Mora's used to be that way when they were made with real birch handles that were contoured to fit the hand, and were shipped with real leather sheaths,  then Mora evidently decided to get out of the outdoor knife market and start making utility knives made for cutting cardboard, carpeting, rubber tire repair plugs, and bailing string.
  I'll concede that Mora has started to improve their knives with thicker blades, full tangs, and squared off spines,  but they have a ways to go yet to get rid of their Ugly Factor,  plastic grips, ugly colors, and cheap plastic sheaths just don't cut it in my book,  when they were getting $10.00 bucks for a knife you could excuse Ugly,  but now that their edging closer to $100.00 bucks, IMHO their going backwards.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2017, 04:40:55 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Classic-Handle-Utility-3-9-Inch/dp/B00449YYM8

The plastic sheath is better than the cardboard ones. With a little trimming at the top they would make a fantastic liner for a leather sheath.
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »
The Mora classic No. 1 has sold more band-aids than any other knife I know of.  I had two of them and now down to one as the other was used as an anger management tool.   
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »
The Mora classic No. 1 has sold more band-aids than any other knife I know of.  I had two of them and now down to one as the other was used as an anger management tool.   

LOL, I have a #2 Carbon,  the slip factor built into that handle was a sure way to get your spinster pucker factor going,  first I sanded the plastic red paint off the handle,  then reprofiled it and added subtle finger grooves, and topped it off with a brass pommel plate,  and then made a leather sheath for it.
  Now it's the nicest looking utility knife in cheap knife drawer.  (GRIN)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2019, 12:33:22 PM »
Well, Moe, you asked me in another thread how I liked my new WorkSharp knife sharpener, but I couldn't find the thread where you asked me. :P      This is probably a better place to answer your question, anyway. :shrug:

The gist of it is, I like it a lot! :banana:    As with any new tool, there is a learning curve, but I tend to read & follow directions, so I didn't have much trouble getting the feel of it.   The various 'most-watched' YouTube videos were quite useful, also.

I practiced on a couple of junkers before going to the knife-block for our eclectic collection of kitchen knives, and THAT was the defining moment.....I hate hand-sharpening long slicers and flexible boning knives....doesn't seem like I can maintain a consistent angle from handle to blade-tip.  For me, the rest of them are not a problem, but those two styles always have been.  With the WorkSharp it was a piece of cake.....they are sharper than they've ever been! :thumbsup:

One observation in my limited time at the bench using it was that it works best when I'm standing up, so I can look down and observe the angle of the blade/belt contact area.  The blade guide seems useful to start the angle correctly, but to rely on it entirely by striving to keep the off-side of the blade perpendicular & against the guide proved to be more 'help' than I needed to keep a constant angle.  In other words, just 'eye-balling' the angle seemed much easier and more effective for ME, but as they say on the interwebz......YMMV . :shrug:

'MOE APPROVED'......and now, WOLFY APPROVED!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:00:23 PM by wolfy »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2019, 01:22:37 PM »
One of the stores out here in the frozen wasteland of western South Dakota has a couple of them on the shelf and a few supplies.  What grits are you using Craig?  The store only has coarse and nearly as coarse in stock but maybe that is all they make.

(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »
The KO Worksharp looks pretty cool.  I don't have much use for one since I have about $3,500 worth of water stones, a bunch of diamonds and a couple belt grinders but the KOWS looks a lot more portable than my Kalamazoo! ;)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2019, 04:33:38 PM »
One of the stores out here in the frozen wasteland of western South Dakota has a couple of them on the shelf and a few supplies.  What grits are you using Craig?  The store only has coarse and nearly as coarse in stock but maybe that is all they make.

Heather is hosting some kind of women's club meeting upstairs and my WorkSharp is being held prisoner in the laundry room, so I can't give you a definitive answer.  I think the coarse belt in the group of 5 belts that came with the machine is 220 grit.  The finest sanding belt is 6000 grit, but I also bought a leather belt that you can charge with jewelers rouge, Flitz or any of a number of other paste-type abrasives for an even finer edge.   Easy to get flawless (under a 20X jeweler's loupe) convex edge that push cuts through paper like it isn't even there.....SCARY! :shocked:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:38:45 PM by wolfy »

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2019, 06:28:29 PM »

Stan, the sharpener comes with a set of belts ranging from course to extra fine, a very easy to understand instruction manual, and a HD plasticized cardboard reference chart made to hang over or near your work bench that gives you choices as to what kind of edge you want for your specific knife, it's broken down in segments for folding/pocket knives, fixed blade knives, and various kitchen knives.
 It also addresses butcher, slicing, boning, and paring utility blades,  and it tells you what angle to adjust the guides for,  which belts to use to start out with depending on whether the blade is rough or dull, or just needs touching up, the Ken Onion model is a variable speed controlled machine, the speed is also adjustable with a dial knob, it also does scissors.
 About the belts, they are made for WorkSharp by several makers of commercial grinding and polishing belts such as Norton Co., they are like regular commercial belts made in layers,  in use as the belt wears it opens up a whole new grinding surface under the previous one, when you get to the bottom of the several layers it becomes a polishing belt, I've had mine for over a year now and have been sharpening not only my own knives but four out of my seven kids bring me their kitchen knives to sharpen as well, I bought a spare set of belts when I purchased the machine and I'm still using the original belts that came with the machine.
 I also suggest that if you're thinking of buying one, get the Ken Onion model, there's about a $50.00 difference between the base model and the Ken Onion edition, but there's a world of difference between the two,  for one thing, you can buy optional add on pieces like a knife making station that allows you to build a knife from scratch or reprofile or modify an existing knife.
 Another thing you might be really interested in is a tool grinder that attaches to the Ken Onion model, it comes with wider belts and courser grits for sharpening tools such a mower blades or removing rust and pits from steel tools, it works great for prepping rusted steel for welding, if I were a working farmer or rancher I'd for sure own one of those tools.
 Cost is very reasonable for what you get, first off it's all made in America right down to the belts,  I bought mine at my local Cabela's for $128.00, a spare set of belts was about $15.00, the tool grinding attachment cost me about $40.00 with a set of belts, and worth every penny,  I did end up getting a knife making station but haven't tried it out yet.
 Lastly, customer support and service from WorkSharp is great, if you have a problem, need advice on using their tools, or you need belts give them a call on the toll free number and they will solve your problem or get your parts in the mail the same day.

No, I don't work for the company, but I will recommend their products anytime.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2019, 06:41:30 PM »
Well, Moe, you asked me in another thread how I liked my new WorkSharp knife sharpener, but I couldn't find the thread where you asked me. :P      This is probably a better place to answer your question, anyway. :shrug:

The gist of it is, I like it a lot! :banana:    As with any new tool, there is a learning curve, but I tend to read & follow directions, so I didn't have much trouble getting the feel of it.   The various 'most-watched' YouTube videos were quite useful, also.

I practiced on a couple of junkers before going to the knife-block for our eclectic collection of kitchen knives, and THAT was the defining moment.....I hate hand-sharpening long slicers and flexible boning knives....doesn't seem like I can maintain a consistent angle from handle to blade-tip.  For me, the rest of them are not a problem, but those two styles always have been.  With the WorkSharp it was a piece of cake.....they are sharper than they've ever been! :thumbsup:

One observation in my limited time at the bench using it was that it works best when I'm standing up, so I can look down and observe the angle of the blade/belt contact area.  The blade guide seems useful to start the angle correctly, but to rely on it entirely by striving to keep the off-side of the blade perpendicular & against the guide proved to be more 'help' than I needed to keep a constant angle.  In other words, just 'eye-balling' the angle seemed much easier and more effective for ME, but as they say on the interwebz......YMMV . :shrug:

'MOE APPROVED'......and now, WOLFY APPROVED!

Glad to hear that it's working out for you Wolfy,  I bought mine to fix a specific problem knife, it's gone now but the Work Sharp is still on my bench,  I've never had a problem sharpening my outdoor and pocket knives and in a way find it relaxing,  but like you I don't like doing butcher, boning, and meat slicing knives, my fillet/fishing knives can be a PITA as well,  I still do the touching up and stropping on my bushcraft and hunting knives by hand, but I do my kitchen and utility knives with the WorkSharp, it's quicker and gives a much finer edge.   

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2019, 07:41:22 PM »
I didn't want to read all that. Looks like a lot of talk for fellers  that have maintained that a few seconds of butcher's steel is all it takes to maintain a sharp edge for years on end.... mmmm hmmm. Now we know. Sharp takes sharpening. Congrats. Not that is how I'd do it but you have proposed a temptation
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2019, 10:54:13 AM »
Thanks Wolfy, I figured there must be finer grits than they had hanging next to the Worksharp display.

Thanks Moe, good review of the sharpener.  I have been using a 1x42 grinder to sharpen with for a couple of years and it does a pretty good job.  I freehand the angles so sometimes it is sharp as all get out but the edge is too fragile.  I am looking at the KO model of the Worksharp or some kind of usable guide for the set up that I have.  I put a good edge on my new Kephart and several of my older knives with the grinder setup but the KO is interesting.

(Mark Twain)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2019, 11:47:50 AM »
I didn't want to read all that. Looks like a lot of talk for fellers  that have maintained that a few seconds of butcher's steel is all it takes to maintain a sharp edge for years on end.... mmmm hmmm. Now we know. Sharp takes sharpening. Congrats. Not that is how I'd do it but you have proposed a temptation
I sense a mild elbow jab in the rib cage, Unk......but I stand firm in my belief & experience with maintaining a very sharp edge for LONG periods of time with gentle strokes of the edge on a properly maintained POLISHING steel.  I have gone YEARS without abrading a few of my knive's edges, most of them being on the thinner side.....chef's knife, slicers, etc. with non-convexed, straight-bevel edges.   This will be my first real experience with maintaining a 'shaving sharp' edge on a convexed edge profile with a polishing steel, but since a convexed edge is more durable and not as susceptible to edge-roll or chipping, I anticipate less required edge maintenance than I have in the past.  We will see, I guess. :shrug:   I will report my findings on down the road.....a LONG road, if the condition exists which I anticipate will occur, in normal use and if this new edge profile is as durable as I anticipate it will be.

Of course, you are correct in that all knives eventually require some type of abrasive to renew an edge that has worn beyond a simple 'setting-up' of the edge, but with proper technique, those more severe & blade-profile-changing practices are few & FAR between with constant & judicious maintenance of the edge via polishing steel. 8)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:22:51 AM by wolfy »

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »
I've been discouraged with my sharpening for a looong time. The lansky system seems to be the issue. I don't think the "clamp" with plastic screws works that well.
That being said I found myself buying more knives, thinking it was the steel. Now All of them are shaving sharp as well as my two hatchets, axe, splitting maul, and pocket knives.
I don't have the ken onion issue but I love it anyway. I found the local Gander Outdoors has a large supply of belt kits. One belt kit has 7 different courses and two belts each.
I also found a 3 pack of ruger 10/22 magazines for the same price of Cheaper Than Dirt, who doesn't sell ship to NY. I am not saying the store is worth the trip but they did have some 20* down sleepig bags for under $200. Even Kelty brand. You have to shop around. I got the work sharp from tractor supply for $20 cheaper than Gander O.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2019, 03:41:16 PM »
A mild jab, a jab of jealousy because I can't seem to do it Wolfy. I keep a couple broken pieces of Shapton in the window sill. 1K and 8K
                                                  -Unknown