Author Topic: Making a Bowie knife out of an 8" Green River Butcher Knife  (Read 10414 times)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
OK,  I will do this in steps and post daily progress.  It should not take long.  I got the knife blade in the mail today and I do believe I could stick it all the way through a yearling pig with no problem.  I will post photos of it when I actually get started on it.  The Blade was $17, rivets were $.60 for 3, and the set of walnut scales was $8.00.  The blade is relatively thin at about 1/8" but it should slice well.  Over all length is 12.5".  I will make a simple leather pouch sheath for it.

Here is where we start:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:48:06 PM by Quenchcrack »
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
Re: Making a Bowie knife out of an 8" Green River Butcher Knife
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 07:39:27 PM »
looking forward to seeing the progress..

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 07:53:22 PM »
Got the same one.  I too will want to see how it turns out.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 08:02:31 PM »
I put one of those in one of our traveling 'gift boxes' a year or two ago, but I don't remember who claimed it.  :shrug:    They're good knives. :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 08:25:17 PM »
I pick up Old Hickory knives at yard sales every chance I get...
They are thinner but have that look.
Will be watching this.....
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 06:39:05 PM »
it will be nice to watch the progress. thanks quenchcrack

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 09:59:05 AM »
Step 1.  Marking the grind lines on the blade in Black Sharpie.

There is a very subtle clip on the point.  The knife described by Rezin Bowie said the first knife did not have a clip point so I kept this feature to a minimum.  I may make it steeper after the first grind.  The photo of the knife marked Bowie No. 1 does have a clip. The coffin handle has to be carved out of the existing handle without leaving a notch at the intersection of the blade and the handle.  I may work on a brass cap over the scales at the blade.  I do not plan to put the metal strip around the back of the scales.

As with any re-grind, get a bucket of water to put beside the grinder and keep the blade cool.  Wear heavy gloves or cover the edge with duct tape.  Or both.  If you "blue" it,  you "blew" it.
-John Denver

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »
Step 2.  Carefully grind the blade.

I may still increase that clip.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 02:13:31 PM »
I think I would if it were mine.  It seems to me that the point would seem more usable and not 'get in the way' as much, if it were just a bit more centered. :shrug:

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 02:23:08 PM »
looking good

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 02:36:09 PM »
Nice so far! It's crazy how little material you need to remove to make it look like a totally different blade.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »
PW, yeah, it took me about 20 minutes to grind it, including frequent dips in water.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
Great start to this QC. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 07:35:44 AM »
Finding that it is much easier to take metal away than to put it back, I sneak up on any changes I make.  I increased the clip a bit and accentuated the slope of the handles.

I really do not want to put the point exactly on the centerline as it takes away from what little skinning properties it may have.  Yes, it is supposed to be a fighting knife but you never know when you may want to skin a griz.  Or the guy you just stabbed.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 07:53:04 AM »
I didn't really mean for you to drop the point to the centerline, but just a little more than your initial grinding session.....after all, it IS supposed to be a Bowie!    You could say your recent efforts are a speculative endeavor to produce a version of one of the many variations of the same knife that emerged from James Black's smithy. :popcorn:      Thankfully, NO handbuilt knives, then or now, are exactly the same. 8)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 08:41:50 AM »
Wolfy, True.  There are quite a few "original" Bowie knives on display.  Nobody knows what it really looked like.  I do know that in 1836, a lot of Texian soldiers were sporting very large knives.  These were justified as the last line of defense when ball and powder were spent.  Just do a search (as I am sure you already did) and you will find hundreds of such knives.  I don't feel compelled to try to reproduce the original, I only want to create a knife that could have been owned by a poor Texas dirt farmer in 1836.  I doubt too many of these men had Bowie knives with silver furniture.  That is why I chose a Green River Pattern Butcher (which was available and popular)  with plain walnut scales.  Ebony, cocobolo, rosewood, etc were available but probably not for the poor folk.  And my smoke pole is due back on Wednesday of this week!  Woo Hoo!
-John Denver

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 08:55:46 AM »
Nice work! I like the new profile, especially like the coffin handle.

Be careful ... the second worse cut I've had since I started making knives was from an "out of the bag" Green River camp knife blank.
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »
I got the scales mounted and did a quick stain to see what it looked like.  I hate it.  It looks like a cheap kitchen knife.  I have already gone to WoodCraft and bought a set of Ebony scales, at about twice the price of walnut.  I am going to ditch the rivets and use brass pins instead.  I may add a few extra pins to dress it up.  Gonna peal off the walnut tomorrow.

-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 07:56:54 PM »
While I think it is okay the darker wood and small brass pins will be better looking.  I perused a few coffin handle images and the small brass pins used in a two two two pattern look really good.  JMO of course, yours may differ.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 08:39:44 PM »
Yeah, I think you're on the right track with the small brass pins....perhaps a row of more closely spaced pins around the perimeter of the handle would enhance the coffin-shape a bit more, too.  I think they're more commonly called 'coffin nails,' though. ;D

I wish I had pictures of the Bowies that I built for a couple of guys to show you how I enhanced the coffin-shape of the handles, but sadly they were lost to nitric acid fumes from an inadequately stoppered bottle.  I will TRY to describe what I did.....to enhance the appearance of the shape of the coffin and 'soften' the squarish edges of the mid-section of the handle, I took a gradually deepening flat 'scoop' out of the edges of all 4 of the longest sides of the scales.  That scooped portion was deepest in the central part of the handle and tapered to square at the front where the hilt would be.  The other end of the tapering scoop ended at the foremost portion of the chopped coffin corner.    In essence, the shape in cross-section would be 8-sided and slim in the center, tapering to square at each end of the handle.....all sections of the faceted handle being kept flat for sanding purposes, but very 'grippy' and comfortable to the hand, with a VERY striking coffin-like appearance. :thumbsup:   If any of that makes any sense to you I will be greatly surprised! :rolleyes: :shrug: :lol:

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 03:53:17 AM »
Complicating things, the handle has been hardened so no  more holes can be drilled.  Three pins down the center going all the way through, and a row around the perimeter that only penetrate the wood.  PITA.

Wolfy, I am not sure I understand what you did with the scoop thing. Do you mean scallop on the edges?
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 06:23:19 AM »
I didn't think you would, but I'll try later.......maybe.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 07:23:54 AM »
Would what? Understand?  Yeah, what we have here is a failure to communicate.
-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 09:03:13 AM »
Yeah...."understand" is the problem, here.  Just goes to show you what a poor wordsmith I am....I am pretty good at tying knots, though. :popcorn:

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 09:50:08 AM »
I have plenty of 1/8" brass rod but no 1/16" so I went to a local welding supply.  He said he sold by the pound.  I guess the dissapointment showed and he said "what do you need, just one 3 footer? ". I said yes and he said "take it and come back when you want to buy more."  Nice guy.  He might need a free squirrel cooker.
-John Denver

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 03:55:58 PM »
I would guess the pro knife makers are aware of the toxicity of some South American and African woods but the amateurs may not be familiar with the problems.  Check out this site: http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Tips_Archives/TP124_Toxic_Woods_files/TP124_Images/TOXIC%20WOODS%20CHART.pdf

I have experienced serious skin rash due to dust from some rosewoods and cocobolo.  This fact occurred to me AFTER I sanded up two ebony scales.  So far, so good.
-John Denver

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2017, 12:28:38 PM »
I would guess the pro knife makers are aware of the toxicity of some South American and African woods but the amateurs may not be familiar with the problems.  Check out this site: http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Tips_Archives/TP124_Toxic_Woods_files/TP124_Images/TOXIC%20WOODS%20CHART.pdf

I have experienced serious skin rash due to dust from some rosewoods and cocobolo.  This fact occurred to me AFTER I sanded up two ebony scales.  So far, so good.

I used bolivian rosewood once. Never again.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2017, 01:18:01 PM »
Fortunately, I've never experienced any skin irritations while sanding and usually wear a mask. Some of the exotic woods have interesting warnings. One of the more bizarre warnings I've read is in regards to Wenge...

"Workers can be adversely affected by the irritating dust of wenge. Its toxicity is well known in many parts of the world because the bark of several species is ground into a powder to numb fish for harvest."
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »

I used bolivian rosewood once. Never again.

Yeah, me too.  I still have half of the original block.  I've been tempted to saw it all to sawdust and spread it in The flower beds.  The fireants would prolly just eat it up.
-John Denver

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 11:13:26 AM »
WTF?  Nobody carries 30 minute epoxy anymore.  I had to go to an Auto Parts store and paid $8.32 for it.  And after reading the fine print, it says not for outdoor use because sunlight will cause it to darken.  OK, I don't care if it darkens,  I just want it to give me time to mix it, spread it, put three pins in and clamp it before it sets up.  Decided to put 1/16" pins down the sides 1/4" in from the edge and 3/4" apart.  That centers them between three 1/8" pins.  Not going with any other applied metals.  Next I need to decide on what the sheath will look like.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
I am surprised there is no quick curing epoxy at a lot of places.  I will have to look at our local lumber yard and see what they have. 

Anxious to see how this handle comes out QC.  I have a couple of butcher knives that could use new handles.  I presume you like the look of the Ebony you got for the scales?
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 01:46:33 PM »
Stan, the stuff in most stores is the 5 minute version.  The slow curing 30 minute stuff actually ends up stronger than the fast curing.  I think the black ebony polished and oiled with BLO will look very authentic.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »
QC, I think 30 minutes is too short of a time.  No scientific reason, just my preference.  I use Brownells Accra-Glass  (both the gel and regular) a lot for repairs, bedding, and gluing stuff I don't want coming apart.  It takes 48 hours  according to what is in the instructions.  Full strength at 72 hours.  It does get stiff in about 30 minutes or less I guess but truthfully never have worked with it for more than about five minutes.

If I bed a barrel I can remove it in about six hours but usually don't for about a day.  I worry about it changing dimensionally as it cures.  I leave it clamped.  When I glue up scales I leave them clamped overnight at least. 

Anyway it will be fun to see the Ebony and small pins. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2017, 03:34:46 PM »
I leave the 30 minute stuff to cure overnight, too.  I just want to know i can move it around for a bit if I goof something up.  If I take more than 5 minutes to set up scales and pins with the 5 minute epoxy, it starts losing strength. This stuff is rated at 3500 psi tensile strength.  No data about shear strength but probably around 1800 psi.   I never bedded a barrel so I have no idea how that stuff works.
-John Denver

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 11:52:22 AM »
Got the knife glued up using the 30 minute epoxy.  I will leave it sit until tomorrow to cure.

-John Denver

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 02:24:27 PM »
Looks like somebody got new C clamps!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »
LOL! I could not find the ones I had since about 1980 when I started making knives.  Good old Harbor Freight.  As long as what you need does not require electricity or a hardened edge, their tools are good enough.
-John Denver

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2017, 10:13:47 AM »
Got the 1/16" pins put in, what a PITA.  I still need to do some finish sanding and then make a sheath.  I just swabbed on some BLO to seal it as there is nothing I can stain it with to make it look much different.  Came out OK but for all the dribs and drabs I had to go buy to make it, it would have been cheaper to buy one from Pakistan.

-John Denver

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 11:05:00 AM »
Looks good to ME, Bob! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:    Who cares if it costs more than a cheap 'Pakistani Booey'.......it's custom-made in the U.S.A. and unique in that YOU designed & put it together. 8)     There ain't another one exactly like it in the whole universe.....someth ing to be proud of! :cheers:

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 11:10:18 AM »
Thanks, Wolfy.
-John Denver

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »
All those little PITA pins sure look good to me. Nice work! thanks for sharing you process.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2017, 12:02:45 PM »
I thought I might like to try some of them, too, but a Google search for 'PITA pins' turns up nothing for me. :shrug: :P :lol:

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 12:13:26 PM »
I thought I might like to try some of them, too, but a Google search for 'PITA pins' turns up nothing for me. :shrug: :P :lol:
:doh:

:lol:

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2017, 12:15:48 PM »
Nice looking knife, QC.  Ya done good!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2017, 12:59:43 PM »
I think it came out great too Bob.  The darker handle is nicer but those pins make that knife handle just POP for me.  You did a good job on the grind.  It looks like a knife that would have been around in the early 1800's and is one I would buy for a period knife. 

A cheap Pakistan made knife would not be a good thing, and price is, as usual, irrelevant. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »
I have a bunch more photos of the walnut scales that I didnt use, sorry.  I skipped transferring the hole pattern through the handles into the scales, making the small pin pattern, transferring that pattern, drilling the small pin holes, using super glue to hold them in the holes, filing and grinding the scales down to the metal, and having a nice glass of Sharaz when it was finished. Oh, and the number of pins used was not an accident.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:48:09 PM by Quenchcrack »
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2017, 04:42:31 PM »
Thirteen is an appropriate number.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2017, 06:28:38 PM »
This is a good video on Early Bowie Knives.  At 2:20 into the video they show the early Bowie upon which I based my knife.

-John Denver

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »
Looks nice.  How do the edges of the scales feel in the hand?

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2017, 07:06:34 PM »
I like it!

Creek
Axes Rock!