Author Topic: The Original Kephart Knife Examined  (Read 8169 times)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
Re: The Original Kephart Knife Examined
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2018, 06:28:54 PM »
If you want pics https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-knife-that-horace-kephart-created.1496191/

Hope that works right. A good thread needs a bump. Interesting photos
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2018, 08:07:43 PM »
Not quite true to the original but Kabar is making one. Going to call it the BK62. Mr. Ethan Becker talked them into it.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2018, 09:40:45 PM »
I imagine that unless one could hold/ examine either the Col or the Kep
  Firstly to establish what " true to the original" might mean.

There appears, from photos, to be quite a difference between the knife the Col. Brothers made and the knife HK ended up with. One could say: oh that's just wear from resharpening. Yes. I could agree. Often when I sharpen a knife the tip needs special attention. Almost like the tip is its own special knife at the end of the blade. After awhile that part probably gets a bit more pointy. Or, other aspects are changed: by methods, or immediate needs, damage, etc

Horace lived a good number of years back. He may have been under the illusion that he could design the ideal knife. Even found someone to make it for him. In the end, after trial, error and use; strayed a good ways from
What Col. bro first produced.

I've only seen pics of the two so it's hard to say. When I try to assemble all I've seen and what has been discussed, as well knives I own... I conclude the Col Bro. Forged the knife and that is damn hard to duplicate with stock removal. These days we see all sorts of knife "designs" it is also hard to "design" a knife- it's just too simple a thing. And you can't make money on that
    - secondly...
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown