Author Topic: Neck Knife Length  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Derej

• Mill File+
Neck Knife Length
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »
Since I have started learning about bushcraft, I have found myself liking the neck knife idea. But being cheap and liking stuff I made I want to make or mod one. Also, gives me a trail run to see if its something I may even want to use.

I am considering using a old hickory and cutting it down and possibly re-handling it.

My question is what is a good average size of a neck knife? Blade and handle length, weight + sheath? I realize alot of this is subjective but I dont want to ruin my trial run by using something equal to a BK2 hung with fishing line.
Now I have a folder saw and a hatchet(cheap and not special ones) and I could carry my SAK. So I'm not looking for a chopper just a general purpose(let me cut that for you or stab the bear in the face cause he is chewing my legs) knife.

- Derej -
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 - Lao Tzu

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
Re: Neck Knife Length
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:00:42 PM »
I have used a Mora #1 and a #120.  Neither really fit the ticket the way I wanted, so I got one from Red here:

It fits the hand nicely

It provides a good three finger purchase but with the lanyard, you can add the fourth easily.  I used it over the New Year Holiday and was very impressed with it's performance.  It's 5/32" O-1  and very robust.

I was fortunate enough to win a Turning Outdoors Knife and Tool PSK

While I have only been able to play with it a bit, I feel it's performance will be outstanding as well.  It can be had with optional scales too.

Everyone will have their own standards for a necker just as we do a full-sized knife, but I am very happy with both of these in that role.

Offline Gurthy

• Water Stone
  • Member #9
    • My Blog: Gurthy's Bushcraft
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:17:54 PM »
I use a Mora... I have a #2 but I never learned to like it so now I'm using a 546 on a length of paracord. Stainless (read:little to no maintenance), sharp and very lightweight. Plus it's inexpensive so no tears will be shed if I loose it or if it gets messed up while I'm stabbing bears in their faces ;)

Offline Kep

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
    • Kepis Bushcraft
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 02:39:21 AM »
Mora 510 in it's plastic sheath, Hultafors HVK in it's plastic sheath or my Hugo Little Whittler

Offline Derej

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »
Wow Dano love that knife from Red.
Mind if I ask how much that custom cost you?

Seems like I will be looking for into a mora for the best/cost efficient trial knife..

thank you guys for your responses.

- Derej -
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 - Lao Tzu

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »
Wow Dano love that knife from Red.
Mind if I ask how much that custom cost you?

Seems like I will be looking for into a mora for the best/cost efficient trial knife..

thank you guys for your responses.

- Derej -

There are some handle options, so I'm not sure exactly.  Steve cut me an awesome deal is all I can say!!!  Send him a PM for details.