Author Topic: Fenix FD20 Flashlight. AA batteries and is zoomable  (Read 920 times)

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File
Fenix FD20 Flashlight. AA batteries and is zoomable
« on: July 14, 2017, 08:05:04 PM »
Disclaimer:  I purchased this flashlight and the following video is not monetized.

I was talking to a friend who was going to Africa for volunteer work.  He's not into flashlights and didn't want to take a charger with him, because didn't know if he would have access to electricity.  That made me think about the good old AA batteries again.  Unfortunately for him, I found this light after he had left.

I think it's great for the everyday person who needs a versatile general use light.  For all you lumen junkies, this isn't the light for you.  It only puts out 350 lumens on turbo.  But it has a focus/zoom feature that actually produces good usable light.  From floodlight to spotlight, the light produces good illumination for different situations. 

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Fenix FD20 Flashlight. AA batteries and is zoomable
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:54:08 AM »
I like Fenix lights. Over the last decade or so they have made a name for themselves. I have one of the lithium battery models, the PD35 2014 edition and it is a great light for the money I spent. I am astounded by how bright it is.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »
I have a Sure Fire that uses those batteries they don't make any more.  When they give it up then I will buy a Fenix.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 05:49:14 PM »
I have a few Fenix E01 flashlights. These are small flashlights that I got for my daughters to put in their glove box. They are only 13 lumens, but they are compact, lightweight and last about 16 hours on one AAA battery. Excellent mini flashlight.

My latest flashlight is made by Anker, a model LC90 Flashlight. I purchased this one because I was looking for a USB rechargeable flashlight that I could recharge in the field with a USB Battery Bank. So far, so good. Plenty bright with a replaceable 18650 Battery.

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
I like Fenix lights. Over the last decade or so they have made a name for themselves. I have one of the lithium battery models, the PD35 2014 edition and it is a great light for the money I spent. I am astounded by how bright it is.

I'm with you brother.  Fenix is high quality and isn't over priced.  I got my dad one the E15 and he loves it.  But he makes me recharge the CR123 for him all the time! lol  I should get him a charger soon.

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 04:55:18 PM »
I have a Sure Fire that uses those batteries they don't make any more.  When they give it up then I will buy a Fenix.

Thanks for the comment wsdstan!  I love their warranty, I used it once and got a replacement really quickly.

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »
I have a few Fenix E01 flashlights. These are small flashlights that I got for my daughters to put in their glove box. They are only 13 lumens, but they are compact, lightweight and last about 16 hours on one AAA battery. Excellent mini flashlight.

My latest flashlight is made by Anker, a model LC90 Flashlight. I purchased this one because I was looking for a USB rechargeable flashlight that I could recharge in the field with a USB Battery Bank. So far, so good. Plenty bright with a replaceable 18650 Battery.

Anker is great!  I have one of their battery packs and I use it all the time.  They just recently started making flashlights right?  Next time I'm in the market for a flashlight, I'll check them out.  Thanks for the comment brother!  I love getting feedback

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:55:09 AM »

I have a Sure Fire flashlight also,  I've had it for years and use it mostly as a tactical light that I keep on my beds headboard next to my pillow,  it throws a blinding light and is my first defense should an intruder be foolish enough to enter the house un announced, kind of like a warning before he hears the shot and sees the muzzle flash.

I had extra batteries stored in the freezer for a couple of years and just put them in the flashlight after the old ones ran out,  am I understanding you right, those short stubby little batteries are no longer being made ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 10:04:49 AM »
What batteries are y'all talking about?  A number would help identify them.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 10:56:13 AM »

I had extra batteries stored in the freezer for a couple of years and just put them in the flashlight after the old ones ran out,  am I understanding you right, those short stubby little batteries are no longer being made ?

Don't know about the little ones. 
Mine uses the B90 battery.  It is blue and about 5 1/2" long.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »
Thanks Nuke. 

This company was one that started selling replacement B90 batteries when Surefire stopped having them made for their flashlights.  The batteries were too short to work in some models one of which was mine.  I see they are still short but have added a note that it is okay to use a metal washer inbetween the battery and the contact.  I will get a few from them now that I know they are okay with the Rube Goldberg fix.

I had forgotten about this and appreciate you pointing it out.   :thumbsup:
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »
Hope it works for ya, Stan.  It would suck to have a good flashlight and not be able to use it.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 05:28:21 AM »

Don't know about the little ones. 
Mine uses the B90 battery.  It is blue and about 5 1/2" long.

Thanks Stan,  I've never seen those long batteries before,  my Sure Fire takes the stubby CR-123 batteries,  I took notice at the battery display while at the super market yesterday and Ever Ready (not my favorite brand) had them available.
  Also a surprise is that the price of the batteries has come down since I purchased the light,  the first set of batteries I bought for it cost me about $6.00 each, today they are a little over $3.00 bucks each.
  First chance I get I'm going to pick up another high intensity flash light that runs on double or triple A batteries,  they are a hell of allot easier to find in a pinch than the CR-123 lithium batteries.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 12:37:31 AM »
I have noticed that some of the lights, particularly the really cheap ones designed to take a single 1.5v AA cell can also work with 3.6v 18650 rechargeable cells. I also discovered that a CR2 lithium cell (similar to a CR123, but smaller) will fit inside the light if you use a metal spacer.

I like the ability to use the CR2 with a spacer to get the increased brightness from using the lithium cell instead of the  alkaline AA cell.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »
what batteries are those?

Offline lgm

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 09:32:21 PM »
I have used Fenix for years. Good lights and the AA format is a wise choice.  It is amazing the amount of light /runtime you can get. I have a E05 in my pocket every day and it covers most of what I need. Just think 10-15 years ago you would need a $100 light that took 2 CR123 to match the output and still not match the runtime this AAA has.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline ThoseWhoWander

• Mill File
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 01:41:22 AM »
I have used Fenix for years. Good lights and the AA format is a wise choice.  It is amazing the amount of light /runtime you can get. I have a E05 in my pocket every day and it covers most of what I need. Just think 10-15 years ago you would need a $100 light that took 2 CR123 to match the output and still not match the runtime this AAA has.

It's amazing how fast these advancements are made.  These lights are affordable with powerful and long lasting light.