Author Topic: Web belts  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Homesteader

• Mill File+
  • Homesteading in Virginia
Web belts
« on: August 24, 2017, 10:53:47 AM »
I always wear a web belt with two or three ammo pouches and a small knife attached when leaving base camp. My primary pouch has my first aid kit which is always attached. Second to that is the one containing a small flashlight, fire steel, head net (for bugs), emergency blanket, a pair of gloves, some t-paper and maybe a snack and other misc items. These may be spread out in 2 pouches since I don't like having to dump them out to find something. I prefer wearing a web belt with pouches over stuffing cargo pockets full of items that tend to drag my pants down - particularly frustrating when you are trying to carry something at the same time. Also it's nice to be able to unclip the belt and hang it someplace while at camp. For me it's the most practical way to carry a small kit but I seldom see anyone use them anymore.  What's your preferred method?

In case you don't know what a web belt is Google: M1956 Web Belt. I don't have my original web gear since the US Army doesn't let you take these things when you go home. What I have is consumer grade which is OK - you can find some decent quality stuff.

We are not to expect to be translated from despotism to liberty in a featherbed.   - THOMAS JEFFERSON

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Web belts
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:24:35 AM »
I normally use a Filson strap vest that has two pockets.  It carries well and has a lot of room to put stuff you might find in the game bag.  The pockets are big enough to carry about anything you need.

A small back pack if its winter or I need to carry a bit of food and extra clothing like a raincoat.   
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:33:57 AM »
I've been carrying a manpurse for a few years.  First was a modded gasmask bag.  Then I popped for a 5-11 model I can't remember the model name.  It carries a 1911 securely.  It has lotsa life left in it even after years of use.

I'm looking around for a less "tactical" bag for town.

Edit- It's a Push pack.  I did a review on it a few years ago but I'm sure the pics are gone.  I pretty happy with it all around.

http://www.511tactical.com/push-pack.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:47:06 AM by madmax »
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 12:51:40 PM »
I use a twice-rebuilt #3 shell bag from Duluth Pack, much like Tony's "man purse," for the bulk of my possibles.  It mostly stays in the truck, but all of the rest of my EDC crap fits nicely in the 9 pockets of my bib overalls. 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Homesteader

• Mill File+
  • Homesteading in Virginia
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 01:25:07 PM »
I use a twice-rebuilt #3 shell bag from Duluth Pack, much like Tony's "man purse," for the bulk of my possibles.  It mostly stays in the truck, but all of the rest of my EDC crap fits nicely in the 9 pockets of my bib overalls. 8)

Nice! Bib overalls don't fall down like cargo pants  :-[
We are not to expect to be translated from despotism to liberty in a featherbed.   - THOMAS JEFFERSON

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 01:28:20 PM »

With the exception of my wife (she does like to dress up now and then) her entire family are oh so fashion conscious.  They are 95 percent female.  They all dressed like a surf bum for my 50th birthday to tease me.  I didn't notice.  They HATE! overalls.  I'm thinking about a new pair of overall cutoffs and see the shock and horror on their faces when I walk in to the next family gathering.

They call me the filthy beast anyway.  (Father Goose?)
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 07:53:51 PM »
Nice! Bib overalls don't fall down like cargo pants  :-[

Which is the reason I wear the Filson strap vest.   :-X
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:50:18 AM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 11:03:44 PM »
I have a couple web belts; one cotton and the other nylon. I prefer the cotton one, but don't use either very much. I'm not sure why because the buckles are great-  secure enough and  easy on and off. I might like one better if the adjustability was eliminated by modification to be a single thickness, or use the buckle with a different strap.

I usually carry things like you mentioned, Homesteader, in a shoulder bag. I don't like the bag to be too big or heavy.

The Bibs talk reminds me of an idea I had. A bib that is removable, attached with suspenders buttons to whatever pants you want to add the buttons too. I find overalls legs too baggy - which is okay most of the time.
 + one could make the pockets as desired. I think it would be a hit. All I need is some of that lederhosen suede

...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown