Author Topic: WILD HOGS......(NOT THE MOVIE)  (Read 302 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
WILD HOGS......(NOT THE MOVIE)
« on: November 16, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: WILD HOGS......(NOT THE MOVIE)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 11:37:01 AM »

They are a growing problem in a lot of areas,  the other side of the issue that I'm hearing is that they aren't all that safe to eat anymore.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »
Why? :shrug:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »
Why? :shrug:

I watched a documentary a few months ago about the damage that wild boars and feral hogs are causing in the southern states, also the Danger to people, pets, and farm animals in rural areas,  some of the wild boars are mating with different breeds of feral hogs, the offspring can reach up to 800 pounds.
  Anyhow a few of the hunters were being interviewed,  one was asked if they were going to hold a pig roast to celebrate the hunt,  he said no way, those things are full of parasites and disease, then they went on to explain that the lifestyle and diet that the wild pigs are living are rendering the meat iffy at best,

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »
I question that statement.......... ....of course! :cheers:   All hogs, domestic or wild, will eat all sorts of vile crap that would puke a dog off a gut wagon, but it doesn't affect the edibility of the finished product.....IF it is FULLY cooked!  Game meats like bear and wild hogs are prime examples of those that need thorough cooking to be safe from the effects of trichinella spiralis.  I may be unaware of the newer findings, but I haven't heard of any of them yet. :shrug:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 09:23:04 AM »

Neither have I wolfy,  but it doesn't hurt to be cautious when you don't know for sure,  I've bagged wild bore, Russians and Razorbacks and they were good eats, but that was before this epidemic of feral critters.
  I've hunted Squirrel since I was nine years old and didn't know about checking for spots on their livers until a couple of years ago, or that it could be harmful to eat any that had the spots, and never got sick from eating any that might have had them, now that I do know about it I'm paranoid about looking for stuff like that when I'm cleaning any game that I harvest.
  But then again any wild game that I cook gets cooked well done, except for venison tenderloins, steaks. and chops.   

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
HOLY COW, we agree with each other AGAIN? :shocked: :lol: :cheers:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 02:59:44 PM »
For what it's worth regarding wild hogs from the CDC.  https://www.cdc.gov/brucellosis/pdf/brucellosis_and_hoghunters.pdf

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »
I did not know that wild hogs were susceptible to brucellosis or were carriers of it, but it is very common in wild American Bison herds.  It does not hurt THEM a bit, but if they (as carriers) pass it on to domestic herds of beef cattle it can be devastating.  Saliva residue left by the bison on grasses that the cattle then graze upon can then spread the disease throughout the herd of cattle.  The biggest problem for cattle is that it produces stillborn calves.  A BIG deal for Montana cattle ranchers when the Yellowstone Park bison wander outside the northern boundary of the park onto their cattle ranches and mingle with their herds!

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 06:41:59 PM »
The first reading of what Moe said I mistakenly got the impression that the hunters were saying the wild meat was being contaminated from recent escapees

But we know T is largely under control when it comes to domestic hogs. If anything pasture raised pork would be more prone to infection but still would be rare, I think.

In the wild, the pigs are most likely to come into contact with carries like skunk, opossum, raccoon and rats, or even from eating another (dead) infected pig. I have taken the time to look to see if any studies have been done to determine the infection rates found in feral pig populations.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 07:05:15 PM »
That's correct, Unk.....there is no trychinosis in any of the government inspected hogs produced in the U.S.A. today.  Cooking pork roasts or chops to a slightly 'pink' degree of doneness is perfectly safe these days......juicier and better tasting, too. :drool:

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibberish
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 09:59:05 PM »
Have you seen any studies that point to widespread T infection in feral hogs? Or maybe it is just an obvious thing- idk. I have seen evidence of feral pigs at some of the WMAs I've been to, but nothing extreme. I've even seen a few cattle on the loose though unlikely part of a breeding population. If I was afield and presented a shot; I would take it. Such an opportunity has not presented itself, while native, wild species are seen regularly.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »
Speaking of wild hogs...if you're going to go hog hunting, it pays to be smarter than the hog, as witnessed in this video I posted in another thread:

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=14247.0
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »
I remember some photos of my dad and grandad with a crop of hogs that they had raised for lard production during WWII......they were HUGE! :shocked:    The lard was used to make glycerin which was needed to produce the tons of TNT needed for the war effort.  They looked more like hippos than they did pigs, but that was what they were asked to produce and they complied.  All hogs can get gigantic, whether they are wild or domestic.

http://www.agriseek.com/article/p1/the-biggest-pig-ever.htm

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 04:14:32 AM »
That's correct, Unk.....there is no trychinosis in any of the government inspected hogs produced in the U.S.A. today.  Cooking pork roasts or chops to a slightly 'pink' degree of doneness is perfectly safe these days......juicier and better tasting, too. :drool:

Don't care what they say, I will only eat it well done.
Nice matters

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 06:23:15 AM »

Your call of course, but if safety is your sole concern, here is the scoop from the big pigs in the room.....The National Pork Producers Council & the FDA. ;D

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »

Your call of course, but if safety is your sole concern, here is the scoop from the big pigs in the room.....The National Pork Producers Council & the FDA. ;D

I know, I know. My sister makes these incredible Sunday dinners, she works on them all day, and she loves making medium rare pork roast. Everyone loves it, except me and my dad. I personally like beef medium well, but enjoy medium rare prime rib however that is it. Burger meat and pork have to be well done for me.
Nice matters

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »
When we first moved to Montana, we were accepted into one of biggest local clans.  The first summer we joined them at a large 'family' camp out close to town.
By way of thanks, the wife and I cooked up a beautiful standing rib roast, and carried it out to the camp site. Our way of saying 'thanks'.
It was carved up, and served with ample garlic toast to sop up the juices. Everyone dug in and expressed their appreciation. All except my new 'best friend'. He took his perfectly done (for a rib roast) piece of meat, slapped it in a skillet and cooked it over the campfire until it was the color and texture of a boot sole!

Philistine!!!!  >:(
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »

I know, I know. My sister makes these incredible Sunday dinners, she works on them all day, and she loves making medium rare pork roast. Everyone loves it, except me and my dad. I personally like beef medium well, but enjoy medium rare prime rib however that is it. Burger meat and pork have to be well done for me.
I understand......I'm the same way with poultry.   Red chicken or turkey 'bout makes me  :puke:!

Offline Orbean

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 07:39:53 PM »
I have watched my boss grill up and eat chicken bloody red in the middle. It must a Australian back country thing. I could go on and on about the guy, one tough old bastard. If his family would let him get away with it he would live at his place in the nm high desert middle of nowhere,  eating beans and drinking Coors beer.
Nice matters

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 09:11:05 PM »
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 11:45:48 PM »