Author Topic: BRRRRR!  (Read 30865 times)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Re: BRRRRR!
« Reply #300 on: February 22, 2019, 03:02:53 AM »
Just another day in FL.

At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #301 on: February 22, 2019, 08:02:51 AM »
 We be in the deep freeze.  Plus 1 this morning.  No bloomin flowers around here.    :fire2:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #302 on: February 22, 2019, 03:41:37 PM »
Meanwhile I be like....

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #303 on: February 22, 2019, 03:50:38 PM »
Good for you!  I loved sledding growing up in IL and MN.  I might have to revert to it since I've lost my equilibrium.  No more skiing.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #304 on: February 22, 2019, 08:38:36 PM »
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #305 on: February 22, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »
Good job with that xJ, nice juke at the tree too.   :thumbsup:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #306 on: February 22, 2019, 09:16:08 PM »
Sled like a kid...scream like a little girl. Hahaha! Love it!
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #307 on: February 24, 2019, 08:14:58 AM »
91F yesterday.  That was the fourth heat record set for February this month here in North Florida.  The earliest in history that we reached 90+ before then  was March 16, 1942. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #308 on: February 24, 2019, 08:39:39 AM »
We were at plus 1 at 6:00 AM.  High today is plus 6.  Tonight we will enjoy a minus 6 to 8 with wind taking the chill factor into a minus 20 range.  This keeps up for a couple of weeks.   :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #309 on: February 24, 2019, 11:36:23 AM »
It is 66* here in San Antonio today, so like it says on my new T-shirt.....You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas!
-Col. David Crockett :taunt: :rofl:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #310 on: February 24, 2019, 01:41:53 PM »
Well, remember the Alamo while you're there.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #311 on: February 25, 2019, 01:07:43 AM »
Yesterday morning we were in a ground blizzard with winds gusting to 50 MPH. Now we're at a -20*F. I'm sure glad they didn't come in together. What a miserable couple of weeks we've had. We haven't been above freezing since
the 7th of January. And not that many days above 0*F either. Stay tuned, next August I'll be complaining about 95 and no breeze.  :)  Have to admit, it's been kind nice without the mosquitos though.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #312 on: February 25, 2019, 08:58:58 AM »
The weather in western South Dakota has been terribly cold (but not like where Pete is).  We are a balmy -4 this morning with a projected high of +6 for today.  Snowed a trace overnight, maybe 2" but probably a little less.  Wind drifts were not too bad all the way out to the county road.

We are getting close to calving and the forecast is not good.  Next 14 days we are never above the 20's and night time is single digits both + and -.  This coming weekend our night time temps for Friday through Monday are all below zero. 

The only good thing about it is anybody thinking of moving here.......... won't if they visit this time of year.   :-*
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #313 on: February 25, 2019, 01:14:46 PM »
Great video, XJ! A full grown man! haha

Not terribly cold here, thankfully, just rain rain rain. Over 5" recorded in Knoxville on Saturday with a total of 8+ inches over a few days. Some flooding and a fatality here in Knoxville but it's much worse in west and middle Tennessee. All the whiskey is safe in Lynchburg!

54F and sunny here at the moment.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #314 on: February 27, 2019, 03:48:07 PM »
Well, so much for 'sunny' Florida....the Sunshine State. :shrug:   We made it to Ocala, where we have a room for the night.  It's been rainin' like a cow pissin' on a flat rock since we left Houston....but so much better than back home where it made it clear up to 10* today. :)   Rain's a whole lot better than snow....NO SHOVELING! :banana:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #315 on: February 27, 2019, 04:32:46 PM »
WOLFY!  I live in Ocala!  I guess I thought you'd be on the west coast.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #316 on: February 27, 2019, 07:57:34 PM »
I figured you might be somewhere near here because of my relentless eavesdropping on the Florida section of the forum. ;D   When you guys were discussing Buck Lake as a possible camping location I looked at proximity for all of you, so no one had too much of a drive, and Ocala seemed like it could be a spot where some of the Kracs might hide out during the week.  We are due to hit Punta Gorda tomorrow, to stay for a week with our friends who have a 'winter place' down there.  They had guests that left today, but we figured we'd delay our arrival 'til tomorrow.....so they'd have time to wash the sheets in the guest bedroom. ;)

I should have contacted y'all to see if anyone was around before we got this far south, but we don't seem to think that far ahead. :P :P    Crashblade said something about meeting up for a :coffee: if we head back up through his neck o' the woods on our way to Savannah, so we may be back through Ocala, too.....who knows? :shrug:   Nothing cut in stone after the 6th of March, so it's a possibility that we could still grant you an audience! :lol:

I'll PM you with my cell number.  :popcorn:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #317 on: February 27, 2019, 09:13:34 PM »
Low of -4F this morning, high of 16F today. This is getting to be a drag!  Driving the 65 miles back from the city this evening wasn't a problem due to weather, but dodging the deer on the highway was like running an obstacle course.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2019, 09:26:23 AM »
4" of new snow overnight, 0 F at 7:00 AM.  High today is 0F and low tonight is -14F.  About the same tomorrow but the low is only a -2F.  Then gradual rise with single digit lows and highs in the teens.  By mid week we should see highs in the twenties.  Three more weeks of this in the long term forecast. 

Stay down south wolfy.  It is the schitz up here.   :-X

:fire2:

(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #319 on: March 02, 2019, 10:15:29 AM »
Stan, our forecast is a carbon copy of yours over here in the Trench.  Even the Divide isn't saving us this year.   :camp: :coffee:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #320 on: March 02, 2019, 04:40:37 PM »
Well, it is not that I am unaware of what you guys are going through up there in the hinterlands and I hate to boast about my timing in coming down here to Florida....but I will!! :banana:

We just got back from a boat trip to Burnt Store Marina where there are 800-1000 pleasure boats docked....reportedl y the largest marina on the Gulf.  It was a GREAT day for us....5mph wind, 84* and a cloudless sky.  I even got a bit of a sunburn where I missed with the SPF 30. :-[

I am in NO hurry to get home! :tent:

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #321 on: March 02, 2019, 06:43:02 PM »
good call.
it looks like the worst of the storm is going to miss all but the eastern edge of Kansas -- that's right, Missouri stole all my good snow again!  :(
it'll still be plenty brisk Monday and Tuesday, but supposed to be close to 40 above next weekend!

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #322 on: March 02, 2019, 07:31:41 PM »
We are currently at -12. Our forecast from the National Weather Service (NOAA) for tomorrow is:

"Sunday
Patchy blowing snow. Partly sunny, with a high near -3. Wind chill values as low as -45. Blustery, with a west northwest wind 20 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. "

Good Grief, it's March. There are no temps above freezing projected until the middle of the month. Who's in charge of this stuff? Can I start a petition? I want a new weather guru.

On the other hand, we needed to make a late night trip on Thursday. I decided to count traffic. 90 of those miles were on divided four lane and met 26 cars/trucks. The last 50 miles only had six cars. Never saw one tail light and only one headlight in the rear view mirror and he never passed us. Pretty sparse traffic for a 140 mile trip. Maybe lousy weather does have a bright side.  Back when we were young and dumb there was even less traffic we would run that last 50 well into the triple digits. Now we're older and smarter. (whisper: and the truck's speed limited to 96MPH :shrug:)

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #323 on: March 03, 2019, 07:44:53 AM »
22 Below and Absolutely Frickin Buried in Frickin snow...this is getting old >:(...woods
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #324 on: March 03, 2019, 08:09:56 AM »
Now I don't feel so bad, -17 is a veritable heat wave this AM. ;D

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #325 on: March 03, 2019, 09:11:08 AM »
+5 here with sunshine and only 3" of new fluffy, dry snow.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #326 on: March 03, 2019, 11:09:58 AM »
Got to a minus 16 last night and it is still a bit below zero with a stiff wind out of the NW. 

Corral water froze cause I think the power went out for a bit.  I put the Nibco on it for an hour and it didn't thaw it out.  I guess we will have water the cows up on the top corral for the rest of the winter.  Not what I wanted to do.

This fricking cold snap is like a relative you don't like who comes to visit and won't leave.   :pissed:
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #327 on: March 03, 2019, 11:18:24 AM »
Got to a minus 16 last night and it is still a bit below zero with a stiff wind out of the NW. 

Corral water froze cause I think the power went out for a bit.  I put the Nibco on it for an hour and it didn't thaw it out.  I guess we will have water the cows up on the top corral for the rest of the winter.  Not what I wanted to do.

This fricking cold snap is like a relative you don't like who comes to visit and won't leave.   :pissed:
...Ain't it the truth?...Ain't it the Truth?!!!....LOL... :lol: :cheers:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #328 on: March 03, 2019, 01:27:44 PM »
We joined the Sixteen-Below Club last night west of the Divide. Up to +8F today.  Some pipes froze, but nothing busted....yet.  "I hate freezes to piezzes!", as Tom would say.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #329 on: March 03, 2019, 06:06:01 PM »
Frozen pipes are a pain.  The line that provides water to the corral tank and a hydrant is pretty deep and has never frozen down deep.  I don't understand why the Nibco style heater didn't thaw it out as it puts out a lot of heat (150,000 btu rating) and you have to use some care when pushing hot air in the underside of the tank or you can melt it.  Done that once.  This is the first time we could not thaw out the line, replace the puck heater and heat tape and go on with normal work.   :-\
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #330 on: March 04, 2019, 04:12:26 AM »
85 yesterday.  Front moved through last night.  Today's high will be about 65.  The hillarious thing is that there will be people in parkas.  After work I'll still be in shorts and flip flops.

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #331 on: March 04, 2019, 06:44:30 AM »
- 30 f this morning'''...more snow on the way by thursday...high winds drifted us in yet again...more plowing...a wild n wooly winter for sure...wife has been in AZ visiting grand kids for the past three weeks, gets in just in time for the next snow EVENT!...maybe i should tell her to extend her trip down there?....Naaa! misery loves company 8)
30 below is a bit unusual in March though not unheard of...with all the snow we have on the ground, when it finally does warm up, its going to wash out many a road around these parts ???...OK...rant over...i feel better now...praying for them folks down in Ga and Alabama...woods

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #332 on: March 04, 2019, 09:10:13 AM »
Wow Woods, that is terrible.  Since I am downwind from you I see that the snow is supposed to get here on Saturday.  We were a -13 in the wee hours and up to 4 above at present.  No new snow last night but the wind drifted what was there pretty badly.

For the first time ever we froze a water line in the house.  Have not got it thawed out yet.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #333 on: March 04, 2019, 09:38:40 AM »
If the lines freeze under a bathroom vanity or kitchen sink, you can usually thaw them by setting a box fan in front of the open doors so warm air will circulate around them.....but you probably already knew that. 8)      BTW, it is usually the hot water lines that freeze up first, but to keep them both from freezing, let the COLD water side drip at a rate of about one drip every 5-10 seconds. 

It was common occurrence when I was a kid living at home in our drafty old farmhouse. :fire2:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #334 on: March 04, 2019, 10:18:34 AM »
I live in a drafty old farm house.  What is odd is that the cold line and the hot line are side by side in the basement and go into the kitchen about six inches apart.  The cold works fine the hot doesn't.  Yet the hot works in the bathroom and basement bathroom which means that the plug (or whatever it is) is downstream from the junction going to the bathrooms.  I did what you mentioned first and after a couple of hours decided I am going to blow air down the line see if that moves and breaks up the plug.  If I blow up any connections then we are going to heat water on the stove or go to Florida.  I have not decided which.   

Got the line in the house thawed out.  The stock tank can wait till we get above freezing, that should be by August.   :P
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 01:03:38 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #335 on: March 04, 2019, 11:43:33 AM »
I live in a drafty old farm house.  What is odd is that the cold line and the hot line are side by side in the basement and go into the kitchen about six inches apart.  The cold works fine the hot doesn't.  Yet the hot works in the bathroom and basement bathroom which means that the plug (or whatever it is) is downstream from the junction going to the bathrooms.  I did what you mentioned first and after a couple of hours decided I am going to blow air down the line see if that moves and breaks up the plug.  If I blow up any connections then we are going to heat water on the stove or go to Florida.  I have not decided which.   :'(

Come on down to Florida, the weather's been great. This is how we celebrate sundown's on Sunday's on Siesta Key Beach. I didn't take my Toca Djembe Drum with me last night, but I will next time.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #336 on: March 04, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
Ha, I should come there.  My cows have to be fed everyday and while I have great neighbors they got cows to feed too.  Maybe some year we will sell all the stock, put the cats in a kennel, and drive down there for a couple of months. 

Neat beach and do you know there  are more people in that video than live in the three nearest towns to me?  Most of them are three times as old as the folks in that video, especially that girl in the black two piece.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #337 on: March 04, 2019, 12:57:56 PM »
It is starting to hit the low sixties here. My apricot tree is starting to bloom which does not bode well for fresh off the tree apricots, it will freeze again. This winter was well behaved, the snow stayed in the mountains, it never got below 10 degrees, and we had no prolonged cold periods. I was happy for it.
Nice matters

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #338 on: March 04, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »
... My apricot tree is starting to bloom which does not bode well for fresh off the tree apricots, it will freeze again. ...
That's happened to me three out of the last 4 Springs.  Apricots, cherries and apples all bloom (or at least bud) and then it frosts and I loose 90% of the potential.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #339 on: March 04, 2019, 03:03:17 PM »
Ha, I should come there.  My cows have to be fed everyday and while I have great neighbors they got cows to feed too.  Maybe some year we will sell all the stock, put the cats in a kennel, and drive down there for a couple of months. 

Neat beach and do you know there  are more people in that video than live in the three nearest towns to me?  Most of them are three times as old as the folks in that video, especially that girl in the black two piece.

Come whenever you can, the weather in the winter is usually pretty good. Yes, the wife and I usually go to much less crowded places to watch the sunset. We go at least once per week, sometimes at one of the beaches, and sometimes on the bay, usually with a light dinner and a bottle of wine.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #340 on: March 04, 2019, 06:45:51 PM »
That is the life.  Maybe one day we will leave this place for a couple of weeks or a month and go down to that area.  I have a friend in Tennessee, two actually, I would like to see and should run over to North Carolina and see where my ancestors lived.  Short run down to Florida from there.  Right now it sounds so good you would not believe it.  Where we live they had a no drive order for the whole damn county the last two days.  Roads closed.  High winds and snow drifts.  I have lived at this farm 20 years and never had a cold spell like this one as far as it hanging around and wearing out it's welcome. 

The area looks like those highway scenes in the movie "Fargo".   
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #341 on: March 05, 2019, 11:41:29 AM »
Strange morning.  6:00 AM we had hot water and cold water in every faucet.  All was good.  I went out for two hours to plow the driveway down to the county road.  The skid loader started up after about twenty minutes of Nibco heat running on the engine.  As I got down towards the country road I see a water company truck sitting by my driveway.  He asks me if I am the one who called.  Has my name so it must have been my wife.  (it was).  He said we called and said we had no water.  It is about 7:30 AM.  He goes down in our meter pit which is down by the county road and comes up to tell me everything is frozen.  He gets a propane torch and descends into the pit and says he will try to thaw it out.  A half hour or so later we have water and he tells me to put a couple of blankets over the pipes and meter to try to hold in some of the ground heat. 

This guy has a memory like mine was thirty years ago.  He reminds me that I called him twenty years ago about low water pressure and it let them find the stretch of pipe where there was a leak.  He also remembers that I worked in the home building and land development business.  I said "that was right where did he hear that"?  "You told me" he said.  He added "I had just started in the water company and you were one of my first customer service calls".    I told him pipe and meter had never frozen in the twenty years I have lived here.  He told me he has heard that about fifty times this year.  It was great to have somebody like him show up and fix the line. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #342 on: March 08, 2019, 09:10:52 PM »
Well winter continues.  Forecast is 4 to 6 inches tonight with temperatures in the low 20's.  Tomorrow is more snow and high winds, up to 50 mph they are saying.

:P
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #343 on: March 09, 2019, 08:35:52 PM »
Yesterday it warmed up enough we lost about 4" of snowpack, and the roads turned to slush.  The snowplow (sic..it's a 1-ton truck with a plow on the front) came by and laid a 12" berm of frozen snow/ice across my street access.  I broke out my snow blower and started clearing the mess before my son got off work and found he couldn't get into the drive.
I was about 90% done when the blower suddenly wasn't making any progress throwing chunks of ice.  Then I noticed the rims were spinning but the tires weren't!  The cold had reduced the air pressure in the tires to the point the bead had broken loose.  Two flat tires!
I love a small town! It's like an episode of "Cheers", where everyone knows your name.  They also take pity on ol' pharts.  Dale got both tires inflated for me...no charge. But on the first one, I noticed he was going to dismount the 12" tire from the rim.  I asked him "why?", because I knew there was no puncture.  He says, "I heard something rattling around inside."  I told him when the tire rolled on the rim, it probably just scooped up some ice.  He was relieved and tells me, "Oh! Well, it will just melt in a couple of weeks," and went ahead inflating the tire.   :rolleyes:
I'll probably be in the Happy Hunting Grounds before the water inside the tire rusts out the rims.  Somebody else's problem then..... :-\

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #344 on: March 10, 2019, 03:12:55 PM »
Well there is a story with a happy ending OP.  I have one Skid Loader tire that has more mud in it than air right now.

We didn't get the high winds and 6" of snow they were telling us was coming.  We got 2" of snow and winds in the 20 to 30 mph range that drifted a bit of snow but all in all it wasn't much of storm. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:36:15 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #345 on: March 10, 2019, 09:12:10 PM »
Ummmm.............. ...it was 78 here today.  Saw my first hummingbird (2 actually) on March 3rd.  :)
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #346 on: March 10, 2019, 09:37:45 PM »
 :'(  (for us in the polar regions, not you)
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #347 on: March 11, 2019, 04:11:06 AM »
All this complaining. :spider:  I had to mow the yard again. :shrug:  Mid 80's here.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #348 on: March 12, 2019, 03:34:37 PM »
 :banana: We made it to 34* today. First time above freezing in 63 days. And on Thursday we'll get another blizzard. :doh: It sounds like wsdstan will get hit with more snow though. Best of luck to you if you've started calving season Stan.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #349 on: March 12, 2019, 06:23:06 PM »
We were supposed to start a week back Pete but none so far.  They are saying 5-8 inches in our area with 40 mph winds and gusts to 50 mph.  That snow is down from 10" forecast earlier.  This is one of those winters that makes you wish you were a Krac.

Pete gets a lot of cold and we are supposed to stay in the high single digits and even get to 30 pretty quickly.  Wednesday and Thursday are in the dumper though. 
(Mark Twain)