Author Topic: BRRRRR!  (Read 65704 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: BRRRRR!
« Reply #550 on: April 03, 2020, 09:37:52 AM »
No newspaper here today, probably no mail either....too icy. :(    There is a trace of snow on top of it and they say it'll only be in the low to mid 30s & cloudy by late afternoon, so I'm glad we took care of business yesterday.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #551 on: April 03, 2020, 01:39:00 PM »
I got sunburned last week.  But this is cold now.  81 degrees.  Had to pull out my flannel jammies and fake fur lined slippers.
huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #552 on: April 03, 2020, 07:07:21 PM »
 :puke:  We barely got above freezing today, got two foot deep snow drifts around, and it is going to 23 F tonight.  The biggest mistake we made was three weeks ago we took the electric blanket off the bed. (You Floridians probably don't know what those are though)   O:-)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #553 on: April 04, 2020, 11:04:01 AM »
Lol.  Maybe the born and raised south of the Mason Dixon line,  but there's plenty of us who know cold weather.  I remember frost on the inside of my bedroom windows.
huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #554 on: April 04, 2020, 01:21:15 PM »
As I recall you spent time in Minnesota in your earlier days.  So the cold you know is actually colder than the cold I know if absolutes are involved.  The older I get the less tolerance to cold I seem to have.  Partly attitude I suppose.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #555 on: April 04, 2020, 01:40:22 PM »
I've noticed that, too.  I read somewhere that age has a lot to do with how cold temperatures affect us.  I first noticed it during the December muzzleloading season a few years back.  I used to be able to remain in the deer-blind all day long, but those days are long gone.  Now, that I've lost over a hundred pounds, I find myself boosting the thermostat by a couple of more degrees, too. ;)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #556 on: April 04, 2020, 01:53:39 PM »
We prefer it warmer than we used to as well. I remember going to my folks house when I was in my twenties and thirties and being uncomfortable in the kitchen as it was in the high 70's in the winter.  Now we keep our kitchen about 72 to 75 most of the winter.

Our temperature here has risen from 18 early this morning to 60 if my truck thermometer is close.  It has gone from being quarantined in a frozen wasteland to the same human condition in a mudhole in four short hours.   
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #557 on: April 04, 2020, 07:10:15 PM »
I've hiked and camped in -25 degree weather.  While that might be a little extreme for me now, I sure could use some cooler temps.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #558 on: April 04, 2020, 09:55:37 PM »
Grand Forks ND 58201 was at -5oF this morning. A record low for this date. We'd be glad to see it go, so . . . your welcome to it. We've had quite enough of it and are willing to give it to anyone willing to come and get it. No Charge.  :)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #559 on: April 04, 2020, 10:05:59 PM »
I've hiked and camped in -25 degree weather.  While that might be a little extreme for me now, I sure could use some cooler temps.

I camped once in a minus 10 and walked a couple of miles in snow and high winds to get there.  It cured me of wanting to do it more often.  I could stand it but didn't like it. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #560 on: April 08, 2020, 05:12:44 PM »
It was 80* here yesterday, so I spent most of the day & nearly two tanks of gas in the Heritage enjoying it! :banana:   Heather & I even took a short ride on the Geezer-Glide trike after I got back from my solo ride. :banana: :banana:    It took a turnaround today, though....and by Easter Sunday we are expecting 40* and a rain/snow mix.  40s all next week. :-\

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #561 on: April 08, 2020, 05:34:39 PM »
Windy here and around 50F.  No riding for me today but I started it up and let it warm up for awhile.  Storm coming on Saturday and Sunday with rain turning to snow.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #562 on: April 11, 2020, 07:18:52 PM »
56* here today.....not too bad, but that all changes overnight. :-\   We are under a 'winter storm warning' right now, with rain overnight, changing to snow around 8am Easter morning.  They're saying 45mph winds and 5-8" of heavy wet snow into the early morning hours of Monday.   I think I'll hide Heather's Easter eggs on the driveway tonight and she can employ the snow shovel to find them tomorrow....killing two birds with one stone. :popcorn:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:27:27 AM by wolfy »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #563 on: April 11, 2020, 08:41:46 PM »
The snow you are scheduled to get is here now has been on and off with it's buddy "rain" although rain left about 10:00 AM.  High today was 32 after a terrific 68 yesterday that found me riding the motorcycle for all it and I was worth.

The snow here is around 5" and could go higher although it shows us just north of the major dumping in the edges and interior of the Black Hills.  Wind will be less than wolfy is going to get but still in the 25 to 30 mph range.  Snow will come and go with another round coming Wednesday after this one leaves the area.  Temperatures will be in the teens at night and low to mid twenties for a couple more days.  Calves are in trouble with this one as it is both cold and wet.  Hope for the best.

I have the snow blade on the skid loader and will clear out the drifts when I can. 

Saw a rooster pheasant in the pasture today, first one I have seen in about six or seven years in this part of South Dakota.  Friday night I watched a big flock of Turkeys go to roost.  Six big gobblers and a the rest hens.  I didn't bother to try for them this morning in the rain but nobody else did either.  They are on the wrong side of the river at the moment and while I can hunt where they are I cannot get across the river in the ATV or by wading, as it is running both too deep and too fast at the moment. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #564 on: April 12, 2020, 04:00:27 AM »
56* here today.....not too bad, but that all changes overnight. :-\   We are under a 'winter storm warning' right now, with rain overnight, changing to snow around 8am Easter morning.  They're saying 45mph winds and 5-8" of heavy wet snow into the early morning hours of Monday.   I think I?ll hide Heather's Easter eggs on the driveway tonight and she can employ the snow shovel to find them tomorrow....killing two birds with one stone. :popcorn:

I find it humorous how you can go from whimsically devilish to downright evil faster than either of your motorcycles can get out of their own way.

Happy Easter to all.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #565 on: April 12, 2020, 10:04:48 AM »
The Easter bunny might have hid some eggs around here but I suspect it will be about the end of May before we see them. 

The forecast was about right.  We got 6" in the flats.  Wind has not showed up yet in force but is on the way.  It was interesting last night when we had about three inches on the ground the driveway down to the county road was still open and just wet.  This morning when I went out to see if it would need to be plowed there was only about 3" on the on the gravel with six inches to the sides.  Hasn't done that in a long time.

This is looking east from our front deck.

A couple of young ones.  I took this through the window so it is a bit fuzzy. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #566 on: April 13, 2020, 01:32:22 AM »
It was a cold Easter evening here in Montana!  It's about 12 degrees F right now and I gotta say I'm over it.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #567 on: April 13, 2020, 12:27:38 PM »
Woke up this am to a corner of my roof shingles trying to flip over. I went up and put some short deck screws in. Now I gotta cover those with some roofing tar or I'll have wet walls.

Never buy a double wide. Built to house specs is B.S. Lots of problems after 7 years into a 30 yr motgage.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #568 on: April 19, 2020, 08:44:40 AM »
The weather guys are getting it too right this Spring.  They said rain and snow on Sunday and when I got up and let the cat out it was........... raining which then turned to snow.  No accumulation yet and I am hoping it blows through before we get much.  I will be muddy again though and We have had about enough of this.  30 degrees at 6:00 AM and at 8:30 AM it was up to 34 F. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #569 on: April 19, 2020, 09:15:58 AM »
20 tornadoes came through the state last Sunday/Monday.  At least 9 dead.  No damage here except the loss of the top 1/4 of a pine tree and lost power for about 45 minutes.  The generator took care of the power loss and the pine top fell into a natural area so I don't have to mess with it.  The weatherman is calling for the same today/tomorrow.  Should start raining/Tstorms here in about an hour or two.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #570 on: April 19, 2020, 10:51:00 AM »
Glad you're OK, Nuke....tornados are the worst!   It got up to 70* here yesterday, but it was pretty windy.  That didn't stop me from riding the Heritage, though.....187 miles of pure OUTDOORS fun!  It's only supposed to get up to 50* today and still pretty windy, so I?ll forgo riding until tomorrow when it's supposed to be back up near 70* accompanied by mild 5-10 mph zephyrs.  8)

About time!! :coffee:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #571 on: April 19, 2020, 12:49:12 PM »
Boy Nuke I am glad to hear you just lost a tree top.  I have not been around a tornado in over twenty five years but the last one that went near our office in Denver hit a concrete railing on a elevated portion of a highway and tore it off.

I lost a tree top to high wind earlier this fall.  It is a pine tree and I thought if I could get a long pole and get up on a ladder I might be able to coat it with tar of some kind.  What are you going to do to your tree?
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #572 on: April 19, 2020, 01:07:48 PM »
What are you going to do to your tree?

I won't be doing anything with it, Stan.  Pine trees are a dime a dozen around here.  Over the past 15 years here I've taken down more than 20 of them that were near the house.  This one and the rest are far enough away it won't harm anything if they come down on their own.  Pine trees are not on my list of favorites.   

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #573 on: April 19, 2020, 02:39:21 PM »
Thanks.  Mine is (or was) about 35 feet high.  It lost a ten foot long top.  Since my power line runs across a branch on the way to the house I think it might be best to cut it down. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #574 on: April 30, 2020, 01:11:07 PM »
34oF this AM in Grand Forks and 32o North of there along the Canadian border. Even the Weather Gal described it as "Oofta!"
We had a dusting of snow late last week and I've still got 3 feet of snow in the ditch West of the house. Winter has really worn its welcome out this year. 

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #575 on: April 30, 2020, 02:11:26 PM »
This was a few days ago.  The tomato plants are doing well.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #576 on: April 30, 2020, 04:47:15 PM »
Nuke those are nice looking tomatoes.  We grow them kind of like that in used lick barrels that the cattle supplement comes in.  Our last frosts date is end of May and we won't have tomatoes until around then.

Well Pete that is the first time in a long time anybody's weather was worse than where we live.  Once the wind died off then yesterday and today were as good as it gets.  70's and no wind to speak of.  It all changes tomorrow though with wind and then thunder storms the next couple of days.

(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #577 on: April 30, 2020, 07:10:48 PM »
Cooled off today after the rains....only got up to 85.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #578 on: April 30, 2020, 08:52:42 PM »
Geez, Crash....it's only getting up to 84* here tomorrow. :taunt:   VROOM VROOM! :cheers:

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #579 on: May 09, 2020, 09:47:34 AM »
    Yesterday I went lookin' for any remnants of this winters snow and found the last bit of a snow drift about 4 inches deep. I thought to myself "Great, the ground will start to warm up and we can get on with spring planting."
This morning I woke up to 2 inches of snow on the ground and a forecast for 2 more this afternoon. "Crap!"

So I watched a you tube video this morning titled "Only in Florida". While I didn't see any snow, there was a clip of an alligator chasing some guy down the sidewalk. When I think about a comparison, maybe 2 inches of snow isn't that bad.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #580 on: May 09, 2020, 01:02:51 PM »
We had a full whiteout this morning and about an inch on the ground now. Still snowing...Happy Mothers Day :(
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #581 on: May 09, 2020, 01:43:18 PM »
Here in western South Dakota yesterday the weather was like heaven must be, or, at the least, like the garden of Eden.  Today it like the place those evil folks go.  No snow yet but two more storms are coming.  It is windy here, so windy I will get the mail tomorrow.  My cat thinks it is my fault.

I got a lot of herbicide sprayed yesterday. Today I could spray lawns a mile away if they were downwind.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #582 on: May 10, 2020, 09:57:34 AM »
 Usually in my part of the country getting on mid may we are opening windows and walking around in tee shirts, the wind has been at a pretty constant 40mph for the last couple of days with gusts up to 70mph,  day time temps have been in the mid 40's on average and it snowed yesterday morning,  I tried to send Al Gore a nasty letter,  but he wouldn't accept it, I guess he's getting more mail than he wants.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #583 on: May 10, 2020, 10:29:19 AM »
Snowed overnight, about 1/2" and it will be gone by the time I finish typing this.  Brisk this morning at 31F but it is 38F at present and supposed to get to the mid-40's today.  Next storm is tonight and tomorrow. 

(Mark Twain)