Author Topic: BRRRRR!  (Read 79506 times)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Re: BRRRRR!
« Reply #600 on: October 27, 2020, 05:11:16 AM »
We are in endless summer mode in North FL.  88? yesterday, and 75? this morning.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #601 on: October 27, 2020, 06:36:57 AM »
A minus 3 last night.  Brrrrr is right.  About 7" of snow and small drifts here and there.  Reservoir is frozen over but should thaw out by the end of the week if the forecast is right.  The only bright spot in the weather is there was no %$*#@$ wind.

Four wheelers started up if you wanted to get frostbite dashing through the snow.......... Skid loader said it would pass on today, try again tomorrow.

Most of the late spring, summer, and early fall I envy you guys living in Big Sky country for the openness of your mountains and what seems a bit more freedom to stretch your elbows,  not that I don't like it here in the North East,  I do,  my grandson whom we raised like our own upped and moved his wife and two small children to Florida following his in laws who promised a great business opportunity that never materialized,  but he's resourceful,  he transferred his job to Florida and kept his seingyority and pay rate,  and he's a certified real estate agent for a successful firm besides his regular job,  they just moved into a new home that they had built,  they keep after us to move down there with the heat, high humidity, bugs and snakes, and the occasional Gator, and don't forget the Hurricanes,  I don't think so.
 My oldest daughter is on her second marriage, about nine years ago she and the new hubby moved to Arizona,  they wanted to move to a warmer climate,  two years ago they moved back to be closer to us and to her son, well her son (our grandson) moved to Florida a years later,  now hubby wants to head back to Arizona, he doesn't like the cold, doesn't like shoveling snow,  and doesn't like New England weather period,  even though he was raised in NE,  go figure.
 They are most likely return to Arizona at some point and want us to go with them,  I think I might like the high desert,  but I don't think I'd be happy with being cooped up in the house next to the air conditioner in the 120 day time temps, the sand storms, and Roaches and Scorpions don't thrill me much either, so that's out for now. 
 Well I'm starting or maybe well into babbling again,  the point of my post is while I envy some of you guys living in western and north western states in the warmer months, I think I'll stay in New England, the temps here are dropping pretty quickly, a couple of weeks ago we were still in the 80's during the day and down into the 60's at night,  the day time highs for this week are in the high 50's  and night time lows are predicted to be in the mid 30's,  while I do love New England,  the promise of winters coming is not as exciting me like it has in past years,  and I'm sure glad I'm not living in South Dakota right about now.    :chopwood: 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #602 on: October 27, 2020, 09:32:37 AM »
Same here Phaedrus, we are getting about six days in a row over 40 and a couple are over 50.  Going to be muddy.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #603 on: October 27, 2020, 09:38:44 AM »
I have lived in just three States over the years.  Mostly Colorado and South Dakota.  In my youth the weather wasn't anything we thought much about except during ski season and hunting seasons.  Cold and snow were just part of life.  Now as get half way through my seventh decade I want it warm and sunny.  We thought some about moving to Arizona or west Texas during the winter but I cannot imagine what one would do down there for three or four months.  I like my farm and the shop and the cows and ........... well it is just what I am used to.  Who would feed the cattle?  Who would let the cats in when it got too cold in the barn?  In the end it is me, that's who.  I am staying put but reserve the right to gripe about the weather.   :'(
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #604 on: October 27, 2020, 02:40:12 PM »
  We thought some about moving to Arizona or west Texas during the winter but I cannot imagine what one would do down there for three or four months.

What......you forgot you love riding motorcycles? :doh: :shrug: :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #605 on: October 27, 2020, 04:00:07 PM »
I forgot about that  :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #606 on: October 28, 2020, 04:56:55 PM »
It's 7 pm in central FL.  87 degrees.  Cooling down from 90.  Sweat our butts off hiking the dogs today.

...kinda missing the mountains right about now.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #607 on: October 28, 2020, 07:56:13 PM »
We warmed up from the minus 3 a few days back and today was pretty decent in the mid 40's and not too windy.  I got a lot of motors prepped for winter and put away.  The cows have run all the deer out of here so I think those big bucks are safe from me for this season.  We might get to 60 in a couple of days. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #608 on: October 28, 2020, 08:52:30 PM »
It's 49 here right now (Victoria, TX).  Supposed to get to 42 tonight and mid 40s the next few days.  Highs will be upper 60s to mid 70s.  No rain.  We got 2/10ths last night.  We could always use some more.  Looks like we might have dodged the bullet on hurricanes this year.  I like cool weather and two weeks of winter is about enough.  I think it snowed about 20 years ago so we might be about due...

Alan

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #609 on: October 28, 2020, 09:14:45 PM »
Snowed twenty years ago?    8)
(Mark Twain)

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #610 on: October 29, 2020, 04:04:54 AM »
It might have been 19 or 21, I can't remember...  I mean we've had a few flakes since then and maybe one time when it didn't melt when it hit the ground, but not enough to make a snowball.

Alan

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #611 on: October 29, 2020, 12:36:45 PM »
It's still pretty chilly here, but the weather dudes are saying we'll be in the low/mid 60s by the first of next week! :banana: :thumbsup:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #612 on: October 30, 2020, 07:00:17 PM »
It snowed in Jacksonville, FL the year I moved here (1989).  Having moved from the Seattle area I thought.....cool... ..until I realized that most of the people here had never seen, let alone driven in snow.  I stayed home and watched the mayhem from afar.

Nice cold front moved in last night.  Highs were in the mid 70's today (time for many of the life long locals to break out their winter gear).

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #613 on: October 31, 2020, 07:24:44 AM »

We got surprised with an early winter snow storm yesterday,  about 4" of heavy wet stuff,  the temps dipped to the mid 20's overnight so it's still with us,  and it's not even November yet.   >:(
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #614 on: October 31, 2020, 07:57:13 AM »
We cleared off and temps are supposed to be in the fifties and sixties for a few days.  High wind warning for today until 6 PM though.  Trees haven't shed all the leaves but the wind might finish that job.  Beautiful sunrise this morning.  Worth being out and about early just to see that.

Gutters are full of leaves so there is that job waiting to be done.  I was going to buy some gutter covers but I think the ice would tear them off.  The metal roof doesn't hold snow too well and when it freezes and builds up it comes off in big slabs.

(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #615 on: October 31, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »
There's really no reason to post our weather conditions because ours are just like Stan's except a day or two later......MOST of the time. :coffee:   We are also expecting 60*-70* temps, but the wind is expected to be in the 35-45mph neighborhood for the next few days.

I don't care.....the bike is coming out for a November swan song! :banana:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #616 on: October 31, 2020, 01:58:59 PM »
My tank is full, battery is on the charger, tires are checked, and when it hits a rising 55 I am on the road again.  Wyoming run maybe, if not then up North on the back roads.

The high winds are not that high in velocity but high in irritation.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #617 on: November 01, 2020, 04:25:16 PM »
Went out in a t-shirt to get some firewood while it was about 65F this afternoon.

First freeze predicted for tonight - low of 29F.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #618 on: November 01, 2020, 05:55:55 PM »
I split wood for awhile today Mike.  Hauled it over to the wood stocked on the front deck.  Hope to not use it again for about a month.   We should stay a few degrees above freezing tonight.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #619 on: November 01, 2020, 07:50:36 PM »
66* here tomorrow......the bike's coming out of hibernation! :banana:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #620 on: November 25, 2020, 01:55:22 PM »
We got down to 12 F last night, or at least about 6:30 this morning.  Reservoir had thawed out from a couple of weeks ago but glazed over last night.  Might have to turn on the stock water tanks soon and get the heaters in.

We should stay in the mid twenties at night for the rest of the week.  Hope so.
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #621 on: November 27, 2020, 04:50:29 AM »
81 today.  Looking forward to a cool down next week.

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #622 on: November 27, 2020, 08:19:34 PM »
It was 70F here yesterday. T-shirt weather on Thanksgiving. I chainsawed come spalted ash then bandsawed it into slabs for maybe some dyed/stabilized knife scales. Snow in the forecast for next week.  :fire2:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #623 on: November 28, 2020, 11:04:27 AM »
It's been pretty decent here in northeastern Nebraska for the last couple of weeks of November.  Last year we had 6'' of new snow and it was COLD on Thanksgiving, but this year it was sunny and we had above normal temperatures.  Upper 40s for the most part, but today we get a real break....mid-50s, clear skies and southwesterly 7-10 mph zephyrs!  Then the bottom falls out for tomorrow and we will return to more 'seasonal' conditions....30s for highs, but no snow for the next 10 days. :thumbsup:

I'm going to get out for what I think will be a final :( 2020 ride on the bike this afternoon.   Countdown is on, tire pressures have been checked, fuel topped off, long-johns and leathers laid out and I'm ready to roll! :banana:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #624 on: November 28, 2020, 12:49:25 PM »
Weather here is good except for the wind.  It is not bad, just irritating.  As I type this the thermometer reads 66.9 F.  The forecast says it will be below freezing at night and then gets into the 50's for the next few days.  Cows are still grazing in the pasture and seem to enjoy being out and about instead of held in the feed lot. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #625 on: November 28, 2020, 10:50:49 PM »
Pretty nice right now!  Almost 11 P.M. and it's still 25.  It has been a pretty nice week overall!  I hope it holds out til I get my snow tires put on. :lol:

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #626 on: November 29, 2020, 03:20:18 AM »
Beautiful weather on the river yesterday.  Another fried turkey devoured.  Tellico destroyed minimal stuff and dogs.  He's tired this morning.  Good thing Cowboy is a big Golden Retriever.  He stood up well to the spawn of Satan heeler puppy.  Cold front coming.  Might break out the long pants.

edit ...still in my underwear in the back yard.  Waiting for the cold.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:15:24 PM by madmaxine »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #627 on: November 29, 2020, 04:49:18 PM »
I just rode home on the ATV from the tree stand after sitting there for two hours and the temp went from 40 to 28.  My toes and fingers are cold.  Bow hunting still has a month to go. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #628 on: Yesterday at 04:01:58 PM »
Topped out at 70F on Thanksgiving Day. Today, the first snow of the season .. a real white-out.

House Mountain in the background.

Two days in the 30?s, 3/4 inch of snow - now I?m ready for spring.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #629 on: Yesterday at 05:43:58 PM »
We enjoyed mid 30's and a brisk wind from dawn till dark today.  Outside was flat miserable.  I told my wife we should move to Florida.  She said I would not like the hurricanes.   :P
(Mark Twain)