Author Topic: BRRRRR!  (Read 38464 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: BRRRRR!
« Reply #200 on: January 30, 2019, 08:14:12 AM »
A balmy +3F this morning and the wind is gone.  Pretty tolerable and once again no water tanks were frozen. 

I have a mental picture of OP in those lounge pants.....  Not a pretty sight and he didn't comb his hair either. 

Hope all of you in the Northern climate are doing okay, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska included. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #201 on: January 30, 2019, 08:57:04 AM »

I have a mental picture of OP in those lounge pants.....  Not a pretty sight and he didn't comb his hair either. 

Humph....  I don't own a comb, and have no idea where my hair brush is. I keep my hair short enough that I can "brush" it with a washcloth. ;)
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2019, 11:30:30 AM »
 :cheers:     :-\
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #203 on: January 30, 2019, 12:02:10 PM »
Ol' man winter chickened out last night. Only got down to -36F and wind chill to -53F, after the weather service promised -39 and -59. But he's trying; it's 1 PM local time and it's still -26F.

Did you know that when it gets really cold you can get a mirage? the entire landscape for 10 miles will appear to tilt and rise up un front of you. I've only seen it early in the morning, looking to the East into the rising sun. Quite a sight.

Schools up here have canceled classes for two days due to cold weather. That didn't happen when I was a school ager. But then the school busses were all gas powered. Now it's diesel fuel and the possibility of gelled fuel is pretty high. No engine and no heat. Those busses get cold fast at -30F.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #204 on: January 30, 2019, 12:22:58 PM »
That happens to me when I drink.   :P

I don't go out in the cold unless I gotta check cows and water when it is as cold as where you are.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #205 on: January 30, 2019, 12:37:27 PM »
My daughter lives in NW Minnesota. When she returned home from work yesterday afternoon she noticed chickadees huddled on the grape vines on the South side of her garden shed, out of the wind: a closer look found them to be frozen to death. This cold is brutal and not to be trifled with. It's just nasty. Not as bad as '92 but it's still wicked out there.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #206 on: January 30, 2019, 01:26:43 PM »
Look on the bright side. When it hits -40, you don't have to do any fancy math conversion to tell your Canadian friends how #$!%! cold it is!
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #207 on: January 30, 2019, 01:38:40 PM »
It was -20* when I got up this morning and not quite as cold as predicted, but the wind was non-existent, so it didn't really feel that bad. :shrug:     YESTERDAY was a mother dog, by comparison......... right around zero with winds in the 35-66 mph range. 

THAT was brutal! :fire2:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #208 on: January 30, 2019, 02:32:40 PM »
Meanwhile, in South Cackalacky:

Supposed to hit the low 70s early next week for a couple days.  That won't last of course, but it's nice to look forward to.  Keep the faith, O Frozen Ones, it will get better!  I truly feel for those experiencing these frigid temperatures and am quite thankful I don't have to deal with them.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2019, 03:31:36 PM »
I'm hearing on the news 7 folks have died due to the cold. Most folks in those regions know how to dress and carry supplys in vehicle. Any details?
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2019, 03:33:40 PM »
I saw that one guy froze to death in his garage????
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2019, 03:48:27 PM »
You know, it's funny....you'd think that people that have always lived under these extremes of temperature would know enough to 'dress for the occasion,' but you'd be surprised to see how many people don't. :P    Just yesterday, when the felt air temperature was in the minus 45* region, I saw people rushing from car to grocery store dressed in clothes that were entirely inadequate.  I saw one kid in flip-flops with a mother that was wearing a football jersey hurrying from the shelter of the vehicle to wherever it was they were headed.....let's hope it wasn't far!  In conditions like that, unprotected skin freezes in just a few minutes. 

I'd bet you a dollar to a dog turd that ol' Slick wasn't lickin' any flagpoles yesterday! :lol:

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2019, 05:26:50 PM »
It seems we all have to learn some lessons the hard way. I was born and raised in this area of frigid temperatures. But a few years ago, before the advent of cell phones, I needed to drop something off at the school. The van was parked in the garage and the school was just across town. Maybe a mile and a half away. I hopped in the van, hit the remote door opener and was off for the delivery. No cold weather clothes what so ever. On the way back, a flat tire made it's acquaintance. Darn near wore the door hinges out; changing that tire. Could only stand it outside for two maybe three minutes before I had to hop back in the van to warm up. No gloves, no coat, but I sure had plenty of stupid with me that day.

The local TV channel really tries to teach cold weather preparation. They never used to do that, but so many people have moved in, in the past 15 years, that public information is needed. Those of us that have lived here all our lives would like to roll our eyes, but the oil boom brought a lot of inexperienced people into the area and we have a lot of imports from the horn of Africa too. They all have a tendency to get into cold weather trouble.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2019, 06:26:42 PM »
Thanks Nuke, that warmed the cockles of my heart which is the only heat I have had today worth mentioning.

The Governor of Kentucky said we are getting soft, closing schools.  A comment like that will cost him votes.  I saw a program not all that long ago about the Inuit and the problems they have with maintaining their culture while living in towns.  They went to a local community hall where most of the Inuit teenagers wore tennis shoes when they left to walk home in 40 below weather.  They had parkas with fur though.

Minnesota and Iowa and Nebraska got us beat in temperature by quite a bit but it was chilly here this morning.  It was cold enough that after I checked the water tanks my right hand glove was a little wet and when I opened the corral gate my hand was frozen fast to the pipe. 

The double dog dare you break in protocol by Slicks friend wouldn't get me to lick the gate pipe, no way, no how.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2019, 08:41:18 PM »

The local TV channel really tries to teach cold weather preparation. They never used to do that, but so many people have moved in, in the past 15 years, that public information is needed. Those of us that have lived here all our lives would like to roll our eyes, but the oil boom brought a lot of inexperienced people into the area and we have a lot of imports from the horn of Africa too. They all have a tendency to get into cold weather trouble.
I was awakened at 6-freakin'-fifteen this morning by a wrong number. It was a guy tying to contact the schools because he'd heard they were closed today because of the cold.
"It's 10 or 13 degrees out there! They're afraid the kids might have trouble breathing."
I politely informed him (as polite as a person can be having been jolted out of a sound sleep) that the Lincoln County schools' policy was that when it got to minus-20 F, you had the option of keeping your kid home without it being counted an absence, but that the schools never closed just for cold weather.
i

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2019, 08:45:54 PM »
It seems we all have to learn some lessons the hard way. I was born and raised in this area of frigid temperatures. But a few years ago, before the advent of cell phones, I needed to drop something off at the school. The van was parked in the garage and the school was just across town. Maybe a mile and a half away. I hopped in the van, hit the remote door opener and was off for the delivery. No cold weather clothes what so ever. On the way back, a flat tire made it's acquaintance. Darn near wore the door hinges out; changing that tire. Could only stand it outside for two maybe three minutes before I had to hop back in the van to warm up. No gloves, no coat, but I sure had plenty of stupid with me that day.

I was awakened this morning at six-freakin'-fifteen with a wrong number phone call trying to reach the schools to verify they were closed because it was 10-13F outside.
I politely (as polite as I could be under the circumstances) informed him the County school policy was to give parents the option of keeping their kids home without penalty if it got down to -20F. 
I'm pretty sure this guy and his uninformed friends/family are spending their first winter here in Montana.  If he thinks +10F is too cold to go outside, this will probably be his last winter here, too.

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2019, 07:20:21 AM »
+2 on Tuesday...not bad at all....+40 yesterday afternoon...I'll take it! :)
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2019, 07:30:11 AM »
Three feet of snow in the foothills around my place, so iv'e been running Snowshoes on my Schnees during my day hikes...i tried postholing one day and it took three hours to make four miles...and brother, i was plum done in!!! :( 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2019, 07:58:02 AM »
+2 on Tuesday...not bad at all....+40 yesterday afternoon...I'll take it! :)

We are supposed to get into the high 40's today.  Hope they are right.  First time I have been happy to see the mud in a long time.   :-*
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2019, 08:18:23 AM »
50* here for Saturday! :banana:     My throttle hand is starting to twitch. 8)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2019, 03:37:00 PM »
We are at 48F at the moment, in the sun but who cares? 

I started my bike, checked the oil, and adjusted the air pressure in the tires.  Then I went back in the house and took a nap.  I am waiting for 60F.   :'(
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2019, 03:51:36 PM »
We are at 48F at the moment, in the sun but who cares? 

I started my bike, checked the oil, and adjusted the air pressure in the tires.  Then I went back in the house and took a nap.  I am waiting for 60F.   :'(
I'll check with you in April.....

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2019, 04:51:44 PM »
Yeah.....that's about the way it'll probably go. :-\

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2019, 06:39:09 AM »

So far we've been pretty lucky here in my area (knock on wood) weather wise this season, temps have been about average, in the teens at night and low thirties during the day, this week has been cold, below zero at night and barely making it above during the day, we're going through fuel like a drunken Irishman at an open bar.
  We've only had a couple of snow storms that didn't amount to over eight inches each, the weather forecast for the next week show warming from Monday on and daytime temps in the fifties from Wed. thru Sat., only four more weeks and we'll be in March.
  Although, last winter started out mild but Feb. turned cold and it snowed every other day right thru into mid April, so you never know.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #224 on: February 01, 2019, 08:52:57 AM »
We are WAY behind on snowfalls...... 6.8'' total for the year vs around 18'' on average.  Since March is when we typically receive our most snow, I'm thinking we may be in for it soon.  The ground is all but bare of snow right now and that is why we are enjoying the 45-50 degree warmup this weekend.....the southern flow of warmer air doesn't get cooled off by the blanket of snow that we would normally have on the ground.   Another wandering lobe of the Polar Vortex is about to descend upon us next week and there is snow in the forecast......but if we have to have it, now is the time to get it.  It'll be warming up soon and it won't last for MONTHS like it would if it came in November.  :rolleyes:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #225 on: February 01, 2019, 10:11:07 AM »
We get a nice Saturday and then Sunday starts getting colder down to 3F and then the rest of the week with single digit highs and some below zero lows with snow.    :P 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #226 on: February 04, 2019, 08:42:50 AM »
We got about 4-5" of snow last night with a little wind.  Temperature dropped to a minus 9 overnight but it is blue sky this morning and not too windy but they are saying the wind chill is a minus 19.  Stock tanks did not freeze up.  We are up to a minus 5 at 8:30 AM and should get to about 8 above today.  Zero or below the next few days with daytime highs in the single digits until Friday then we get into the 20's during the day.  Snow forecast at times through the week. 

It is getting obvious that all the smart guys live in Florida.   :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #227 on: February 04, 2019, 09:02:24 AM »
Max and I had a nice shoot at the range then a walk in the woods this morning.  I did wear a long sleeve shirt but I had to roll up the sleeves.  61 right now.  72 will be the high.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #228 on: February 04, 2019, 09:34:49 AM »
Ah, that hurts.   :-X
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #229 on: February 05, 2019, 08:49:34 PM »
Well, we flipped the switch to the 'WINTER' position in Bozeman! :-\  It went from 45 degrees above to -7 with copious snowfall in just a day or two.  Drats!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #230 on: February 05, 2019, 09:00:29 PM »
It is plus 2F at the moment coming off of a minus 6 this morning.  We are headed back there tonight along with a bit of fresh snow.  This freezer lasts at least another ten days from what my long range forecast says.  The wind has stayed down which makes below zero tolerable when you are out checking water and cows.  A bit too cold to ride the four wheeler though.   :-\
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #231 on: February 05, 2019, 09:12:26 PM »
Snowshoed eight miles in the foothills with the Dude today.....somewhere s around zero degrees...i think the dude got some frost damage on his feet...but he will be fine :)...anyways it was a great workout...lots of big cat tracks ???
Stay warm Stan  :cheers:...and Tony, careful you don't get heat stroke  :rolleyes: >:D...LOL...woods

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #232 on: February 06, 2019, 09:50:33 AM »
Thanks Woods.  I have trouble doing a couple of hundred yards to the corrals and you walk 8 miles.  Good grief, you are the man.   ;D
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #233 on: February 06, 2019, 10:04:50 AM »
We're gonna break 80 for the next three days.  Breaking out the big SUP and taking Max paddling on the river.   One of the spring fed rivers.  You know.  The crystal clear 72 degree (year round) water.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #234 on: February 06, 2019, 10:41:14 AM »
We're gonna break 80 for the next three days.  Breaking out the big SUP and taking Max paddling on the river.   One of the spring fed rivers.  You know.  The crystal clear 72 degree (year round) water.
I don't do heat very well. I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't be happy in a place with only ONE season year around: hot.

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #235 on: February 07, 2019, 04:49:27 AM »
We've got two seasons here - - - January and Summer. :shrug:

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #236 on: February 07, 2019, 07:51:19 AM »
we got 3/4" of thunder-sleet last night and it was 8f with a stiff breeze this morning -- now it's snowing while the clouds break up and the sun comes out.
still only 8 degrees out, though.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #237 on: February 07, 2019, 09:35:44 AM »
Nobody can make up their minds for our area. Forecasts range from 3 1/2" of snow this weekend, to 9".  Temps range from -2F to -14F, all depending upon what weather forecast group you listen to.  As with most Februaries up here, it is what it is, and will be what it'll be. We're hunkered down, firewood's in and handy, and we have no place we need to go for at least 10 days.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #238 on: February 07, 2019, 09:49:29 AM »
-9f here this morning, up to -7f at the moment.  Supposed to get to a plus 2 by 4PM then back to a -11 tonight.  Not too windy, maybe 10 mph but it bites when you are walking into it.  We are forecast to stay under 20F through the 21st of February.  Most lows are below zero or low single digits.  It is a good day to test how well your winter gear works. 

Water tanks are open and that is good news on a morning like this. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #239 on: February 07, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »
72F Monday, 79F Tuesday, 77F yesterday, calling for 80F today, and 70F tomorrow.  Sunday's high is only supposed to be 46.  Yep, it's February.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #240 on: February 07, 2019, 03:02:03 PM »
We're headed SOUTH around the Ides of February......I've had enough! :fire2:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #241 on: February 07, 2019, 03:57:50 PM »
I thought you Nebrascanese were tough but now I see you are just smart.

Or is it?....... 

Nebrascaneers
Nebrascatonions
Nebrascans
Nebrascians
Nebrascanites

As a by the way comment;  I ran into a guy I know and asked him how he was wintering?  He said his water tank froze this morning so he took a shovel out to the tire tank and was chipping out the ice and cut the power cord in half.  He was silent for a moment and then added, "it was quite a shock".

(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #242 on: February 07, 2019, 04:31:38 PM »
This NEBRASKAN is conditioned to the vagaries & unpredictability of Nebraska weather, but this ol' boy was never in love with the period from mid January to the end of March.  That's when it usually turns to WINTER here.....just about the time I'm getting sick of it all. 

We just traded cars and we're looking forward to a road trip....maybe 3 weeks or so.  As much as I enjoy South Dakota's Black Hills.....we're headed SOUTH!  Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia.....all in our sights, but maybe more. :shrug: 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:14:18 AM by wolfy »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #243 on: February 07, 2019, 06:12:07 PM »
I blame you not.  The witches are wearing brass bras in these parts. 

Nuke says it is over 70 in South Carolina. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #244 on: February 07, 2019, 06:38:55 PM »
yep, dang 80's wish the cool weather would hang on a little longer
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #245 on: February 07, 2019, 06:45:11 PM »
Ha!  It is a minus 12 here at the moment at my place.  If we average out the two of us we are at 46 degrees.  How misleading statistics can be.   :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #246 on: February 07, 2019, 07:59:28 PM »
Yuck!  It's -25 today, coulda just stayed in Minnesota! :fire2: :lol:

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #247 on: February 07, 2019, 09:34:18 PM »
About 75f here today - gonna be about 45 for tomorrow?s high.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #248 on: February 07, 2019, 09:36:21 PM »
.....add Tennessee to that list. ;D

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #249 on: February 08, 2019, 12:26:09 AM »
Right now we are at a -24F (-31C). There's a wind out of the North pushing our wind chill index down to -49F (-45C). Tomorrow we get to warm up all the way to -14F (-25C).  :banana:    :doh:

I was out to push a little snow earlier and the pick-up was a little slow cranking over. Guess the oil was a little thick. The tractor won't start even after having a block heater plugged in all day. I think the fuel may be gelled. I've got an additive in it, but there are limits. I should have stayed with straight #1 fuel instead of that "Winter Treated" #1/#2 mix. I'll know better next year.

Would like to go into town for our 48th anniversary tomorrow, but we're not getting any further from the farmstead than we're willing to walk in this cold. So that's about a hundred yards.  :shrug: I guess we're not as adventurous as when we were younger.