Author Topic: BRRRRR!  (Read 21241 times)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
Re: BRRRRR!
« Reply #350 on: March 13, 2019, 04:52:18 AM »
I went out and braved the elements yesterday.  It was tough, but somebody had to do it.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #351 on: March 13, 2019, 01:02:29 PM »
That is cruel and unusual punishment you know.  We are getting a boat load of snow and winds up to 50mph.
 :P
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #352 on: March 13, 2019, 03:02:16 PM »
We got 4" of that wet Pacific Coastal Airborne Slush last night!  You know,  the stuff that weighs 60 lbs /cu ft?  That crap, same time of year, gave me a hernia 2 years ago.  Today is the first time I had to chisel an ice plug out of the snowblower chute.  I've become so spoiled by powder you can "shovel" with a leaf blower that I forget how miserable that west coast crap is.
Last night's snow almost finished off my Siberian Pea Tree, and half of one of my lilac trees.  The huge box elder in the backyard shed branches like a sheep in summer. Squashed my wire field fence and is now laying across my semi-retired Samurai.  Another two limbs barely missed the neighbor's back windows.  I'll have a job for Mr. Stihl when the snow's gone.
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #353 on: March 13, 2019, 04:09:17 PM »
Sorry to hear about all that OP.  That kind of heavy snow is bad news.   :P
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #354 on: March 13, 2019, 08:31:14 PM »
Looks like a lot of folks are getting the hell hammered out of them with this latest storm.  Stay safe!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #355 on: March 13, 2019, 09:12:24 PM »
Sorry to hear about all that OP.  That kind of heavy snow is bad news.   :P
Thanks. Right after I typed that last post I went outside to find 10 feet of gutter laying in a pile of snow & ice under the eves.   :soap:
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #356 on: March 13, 2019, 10:11:16 PM »
Lots of flooding here in northeastern NEBRASKA.   There was a huge amount of snow that began melting fast when the temperatures rose to around 50*......all of the area rivers are above flood stage. 

Our farm is under about 2 feet of water, there are another couple of inches of rain predicted for tonight and then they are calling for blizzard conditions for tomorrow night with winds of over 60 mph.  We just got home this afternoon after 3 1/2 weeks in the south and southeast with a blizzard on our tail the day we left home.....we were feeling pretty smug about our timing that day, but when we came over the 'pass' into town this afternoon we were shocked to see the the whole valley under water.   
wolfy > :shocked:   Heather > :shocked:   

Something like this seems to happen every time we leave home for a while.....once it was a catagory 4 tornado, once it was big hail the size of grapefruit and this time the most flooding since the big Missouri River flood in 2011, when we had a record-breaking drought at the SAME time! :shrug:   NEBRASKA: IT'S NOT TOO BAD.....most of the time. :doh:   

It certainly is the land of infinite variety! :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:24:36 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sundance Creek

• Mill File
« Reply #357 on: March 14, 2019, 08:15:54 AM »
just started raining here.. northern Ontario

we had 20 below justa few daze ago

still got over 4 ft of snow on the roofs and all around

gonna make for some slop for awhile now

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #358 on: March 14, 2019, 08:16:43 AM »
Well wolfy we are glad you got home without incident.  If every time you leave you come home to a disaster then why the &*%$& don't you just stay home all the time so this doesn't happen?   :shrug:   :) We haven't had any flooding yet but the creeks around here were close to bank full yesterday and the Belle Fourche river was close to coming out of the bank on the low sides of the curves.  When it really starts to melt next week it likely will flood about everywhere along the waterways.

In the midst of all this snow and wind we lost power about 3:30 AM this morning.  I went to the corrals to drain the water out of the tanks and shut off the supply line.  Turned off the switch to the heat puck too.  Those things will "fry" if they come on with no water to heat.  The power came back on a few minutes ago.  I think we will wait a couple of hours to see if it stays on before turning the water and heat back on in the corral.  Should be okay. ???  The wind is supposed to die off about 6:00 PM tonight.  I sure hope they are right. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #359 on: March 14, 2019, 08:20:17 AM »
Sundance, when you get that kind of snow depth on your roof do you shovel it off or just wait to see what happens?
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #360 on: March 14, 2019, 05:55:08 PM »
Sometimes things get so bad they are funny.  The wind blew in a lot of large drifts across the driveway and a couple of them were big enough you might not get through them with a four wheel drive pickup.  I started plowing up near my corrals.  I also plowed a path down to an door that goes into the barn.  Regular solid entry door.  I was carefully scraping snow and got too close to this door and caved it in.  I went on and finished plowing the drive and went all the way down to the county road. 

Later my wife went out to the barn to put out some cat food for the barn cats and I had told her about the door.  She came out of the barn and slipped on the ice and fell backwards into the mud.  Her down coat, gloves, and jeans were pretty well covered in mud.  When she came in she looked at me and somehow it was my fault cause the mud would not have been there if I had not scraped the snow away exposing the dirt.  If I had not started laughing it probably would not have been quite as funny but in the end we both though that it was an all around bad day.  From the power outage to the mud and ice and drifts it was just one of those days that you will laugh about next summer........ I hope.   :shrug:
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #361 on: March 14, 2019, 10:17:08 PM »
Blizzard is done. Wind went quiet about 7:00 local time. I had been out for a couple hours trying to clear a path down the driveway. The drive way is 300 feet long. We live in a sheltered farmstead, but when you clear the edge of the shelter belt and get into the open farmland/prairie, the wind is free to run. Now our snowplow man has been trying to keep a crown on the road like he does in the summer time. The trouble with that is, it puts up a windrow of snow on both sides of the township road. The snow plow uses a one way blade on the front and a 16 foot wing out the side. So, we have a 4 foot high windrow on both sides of the road for about 200 yards beyond the driveway. This blizzard filled it in with hard packed snow. The kind of snow you can use to make an igloo with. Now normally I wouldn't care. He created the problem, let him fight with it. But, my mother-in-law passed away and the funeral is Saturday. The Interstate Highways and divided four lane highways in North Dakota are still closed but I'm betting they'll be open by tomorrow afternoon. So, I spent 3 more hours blowing open the township road to make it out to the county road in the morning. I am so lucky to have a tractor with an enclosed cab and heater and radio and low hours so it is reliable. I remember not so many years ago when all we had was a 1950's VAC Case with a front end loader and no cab. Bundled up in a parka with a trappers cap and snow goggles on. Trying to move snow one bucket at a time. The 8 horse walk behind snowblower was worthless outside the shelter belt because it couldn't bite into the hardened snow drifts.

But all should be good now. A quick pass in the morning to ensure its clear to the highway and we'll be off, assuming the main arteries are open.

At least we didn't have a failure like the Spencer dam breach in Nebraska. Now that - would be a hardship. our sympathies to the folks down there.

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #362 on: March 15, 2019, 05:36:52 PM »
Sounds like Nebraska is under water...prayers and thoughts Craig and family....and for all Nebraskans!....stay safe!!!!
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #363 on: March 15, 2019, 05:40:16 PM »
Hey Stan...sounds like this snow is going to melt all at once ???....reckon we got lucky compared to some folks though...taker easy amigo!...woods

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #364 on: March 15, 2019, 05:42:20 PM »
Basically ended here about 7:00 PM last night too.  Still had high drifts to plow this morning but that is done and now it is just mud.  No griping from me though, I will take the mud any day.

Spent most of my day plowing snow off the farm yard and widening the road in places.  We got warm enough today to go out without a coat on.  Boy was that nice.  My thoughts to the folks in Nebraska as well, hope wolfy is doing okay too.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #365 on: March 15, 2019, 05:44:51 PM »
Hey Stan...sounds like this snow is going to melt all at once ???....reckon we got lucky compared to some folks though...taker easy amigo!...woods

You got that right Woods, it is melting fast and some areas are flooding a bit.  Not bad yet but when the snow starts melting up in the top of the watershed then it might get ugly. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #366 on: March 15, 2019, 05:47:25 PM »
Basically ended here about 7:00 PM last night too.  Still had high drifts to plow this morning but that is done and now it is just mud.  No griping from me though, I will take the mud any day.

Spent most of my day plowing snow off the farm yard and widening the road in places.  We got warm enough today to go out without a coat on.  Boy was that nice.  My thoughts to the folks in Nebraska as well, hope wolfy is doing okay too.
Amen to the Stan...i just think of all the exercise we're getting digging out all this equipment!!!! :thumbsup: :cheers:

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #367 on: March 15, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »

You got that right Woods, it is melting fast and some areas are flooding a bit.  Not bad yet but when the snow starts melting up in the top of the watershed then it might get ugly.
This should help keep down the fires at least!

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #368 on: March 15, 2019, 05:52:50 PM »
"March is the green muddy month down below...some folks like it!....FARMERS mostly"....LOL...woods

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #369 on: March 15, 2019, 07:15:56 PM »
"March is the green muddy month down below...some folks like it!....FARMERS mostly"....LOL...woods

My favorite scene in that whole "What's on the spit " scene from that movie.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #370 on: March 15, 2019, 07:17:23 PM »
i called Craig and left a message.  If I hear back before he posts anything I will post it here.  I looked at photos of the flooding in Ponca.  Not a pretty sight.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #371 on: March 16, 2019, 09:04:01 PM »
I talked to Craig today.  He is fine, house is okay.  He has been helping out where he can.  I was glad to hear that.
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #372 on: March 17, 2019, 06:06:11 AM »
Good to hear.  Thanks for checking on him.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #373 on: March 17, 2019, 10:21:04 AM »
Sorry, fellas, I have been remiss in not keeping you up to date on conditions hereabouts.  When we got home in the late afternoon of last Wednesday, we popped over the last big hill into town and we were greeted with some of the greatest flooding that our section of northeastern Nebraska has ever experienced.  We are not alone in this....the whole tri-state area, which includes southeastern South Dakota, northeastern Nebraska and northwestern Iowa has experienced the worst flooding on record.  It's been a perfect marriage of conditions for this event....heavy snow, frozen ground, thick ice still in place in the feeder creeks & rivers, warm temperatures, breached dams & levees, and high water releases from the Missouri River dams. 

We have been lucky....no water in the basements of our two houses, but MANY of those in town have.  The biggest problem around my immediate vicinity are washed-out roads & bridges!  I still can't get out to the farm because the last 1/2 mile of road no longer exists.  I went as far as I could yesterday and watched a Cat dozer attempting to remedy the situation, but it was too soupy to drive on yet.  Maybe in a day or two, I'll try it again. 

There are trees, logs, and trash left on the fields, as the water recedes....just more work in preparing for what looks like another late Spring planting season. :-\     It's a relief not having to deal with that part of it, since I quit all that farming nonsense and can leave it up to my renter! :lol:    I'll, no doubt end up helping him with it all......a little. O:-)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #374 on: March 18, 2019, 04:39:30 AM »
 Glad to hear you are doing OK.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #375 on: March 18, 2019, 12:35:41 PM »
I saw photos on FB of wagons with dead calves in them being hauled out of flooded corrals and pastures yesterday.  I feel bad for the calves and for the ranchers.  Glad you are doing well Wolfy, hope it stays that way.
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsrunner

• Water Stone
« Reply #376 on: March 18, 2019, 02:00:17 PM »
I was going to say you were all wet anyways, but, under the circumstances thought that might seem a bit insensitive of me :P
LOL...sooo i'll just say i'm sure glad you n Heather are OK :)...Dave

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #377 on: March 18, 2019, 09:30:07 PM »
A week of spring like weather is predicted for ' round here. I saw a huge fire on a hill top, smoke  that looked like a mile wide F5 tornado today. I nodded. Come home Mother Nature, let ole Unk soothe your fickle heart. Youins ll be okay boys. I got this from here
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #378 on: March 19, 2019, 10:26:49 AM »
Temperatures are up above freezing here abouts.  We were in the mid to high 40's the last few days.  Freezes at night, thaws during the day.  Some minor flooding going one and my reservoir is starting to run out of the earthen overflow channel.  The concrete drop box is taking all it can take.  It is muddy but I ain't ing about it.  My long abandoned well started flowing water during the cold spell and it has sort of slowed down as it warms up.  I have no idea why it did that.

I talked to Mike over in Minnesota the other day.  He had a lot of snow and cold and was more or less stuck out at his place for awhile. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:50:39 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #379 on: March 19, 2019, 06:44:44 PM »
We missed out on the last snow storm. Thank goodness.  Im down in a valley but yet on a hill by the lake. Flooding waters are on top of the ice.  We will be safe.  My worry is mud season. On my mile long driveway...and needing fuel in. Family in northwest iowa are borderline evacuees.   None are farmers so not quite the worry with them.  Ww
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.