Author Topic: BRRRRR!  (Read 31639 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: BRRRRR!
« Reply #400 on: October 09, 2019, 07:22:29 PM »
I was out on the Vulcan this afternoon trying to burn the rest of the 'stale' gas out of the tank that I bought yesterday afternoon. 8)    It was around 68* & quite comfortable, but we have been having high winds of 20 mph & gusts of up to 45 mph here for the last three days.....bugs are mostly gone. :banana:

It's abruptly changing tonight, though.....the temperature has already fallen around 20* since I parked the bike in the garage to catch the evening news & weather at 5 o'clock.  According to the weather report, Stan is going to see 12-18'' of SNOW and since we usually get a facsimile of what he gets in 24-36 hours.....I'm keeping my eye peeled for the inevitable. :-\    They're saying we should expect only 1-2,'' but the ground is warm, so that should melt off right away....I predict mostly rain out of this one, but October 9th is too danged early to hang up the leather jacket & chaps for the season, so I remain hopeful. :coffee:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #401 on: October 09, 2019, 08:00:56 PM »
The latest National Weather Service forecast has been moved up to about `16" in the area I live.  It could be less and, of course, more.  Winds will be in the 20 mph range with gusts to 36 before this is all over. 

We winterized the equipment earlier this week and put the snow blade on the skid loader.  If we don't lose power we will just stay in the house for a couple of days.  If we lose power we have lots of wood.   :P

It is snowing hard and the temperature dropped to 30 F just a half hour ago. 

Hope the rest of you in this storm path do okay.  Wolfy will get it by the weekend but hopefully it will be spent before it gets to where he is at.   
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:06:14 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #402 on: October 09, 2019, 11:16:34 PM »
Lucky us. We are at the junction of two storms rolling in. First one is tonight and Thursday. The second arrives Friday and passes along on Saturday. Each storm is forecast to drop 12+ inches up to a maximum total of 30" for the two of them. Winds are projected to gust 40 to 60 MPH according to the National Weather Service.

My sister in Washington (state) was caught flatfooted by the snow and mentioned a lot of tree damage in the far Eastern part of the state. I am dreading the damage to the trees here as we have most of our leaves on yet. I'll try to minimize damage by bumping the trees with the loader tractor to knock off the snow as it accumulates, but I can only access those in the yard and along the perimeter of the surrounding woods. I suspect the small woodland creatures and next summers songbirds will have a lot more cover and shelter when this is over. Freezing rain and then 30" of snow is going to be hard on our wildlife.

The snow blower and tire chains are mounted on the loader tractor and the snow plow blade is on the pickup. We have two separate systems for electrical back-up and three independent heating systems. It'll take a heck of a storm to put us in jeopardy but I've learned to never say never.

Just a heads up for those of you that have received fiber optic phone service into your homes in the recent past. Back in the old days when we had copper wires into the home, the phone company had huge banks of batteries at the central office to keep the phone system working, even during a power outage. Now, with the fiber optic cable into the building, each home and business has a little back-up battery at each location. When that goes dead after a few hours, you land line phone is dead and you will be forced to try using the cellular service. Cellular service during a storm has its own issues. If your cell service is a little on the sketchy side during normal weather, you will probably lose service during a storm. The added signal attenuation due to heavy rain or heavy snow will kill an already weak signal. Texting will sometimes get through when a voice signal won't. Just an FYI.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #403 on: October 10, 2019, 11:12:06 AM »
Last night we got about 5" on the lee side of the house. On the windy side I would guess no more than 3".  It is still snowing but fairly lightly and we are supposed to get another couple of inches out of this storm.  Looks like we dodged this one but the folks further north and east of us didn't from what they are saying.

Hopefully all of you will get through this with minimal problems. 

We have some fiber optic lines out here but from the county road up to the house it is all copper.  I wasn't aware of the battery situation on FO lines so thanks for pointing that out.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #404 on: October 10, 2019, 11:02:22 PM »
Well, the first wave of the storm went through and the projected 12+" only amounted to about 6" of the heavy wet stuff. The weather service is still saying we could get up to 30", but I'm skeptical. We'll see.

Trying to blow this snow is like trying to eat a slushy with a two prong pickle fork. And trying to push it with the plow doesn't work much better.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #405 on: October 11, 2019, 01:44:27 PM »
I went out a bit ago today to get some wood for the house.
but the tractor would not turn over. something with the starter I think.
anyhow stuck once again.my wood shed on the back deck is done
and about 1/2 stocked with wood about 1/2 a cord.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 04:47:12 AM by hayshaker »

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #406 on: October 11, 2019, 11:05:05 PM »
Hrmph, looks like the NWS might have actually hit one, after 5 years of overstating the severity of an expected blizzard, this one is pretty close. We're at 24" of wet sticky snow, winds clocked at 61 MPH this afternoon and 12 hours left to go. We've got the smaller 6" pine trees bent and broken. The normally 8' tall liliac bushes are only about 4 feet tall. All highways have been closed, plows pulled off. Even within city limits, the snow plows were parked due to poor visibility. All the local business are closed. No point in staying open with no customers and you have to bunk your employees in for the night.

Did a little snow blowing and pushing with the tractor. Used more fuel than normal. The heavy wet snow is harder to move. The pick-up and snow plow are worthless. Too much snow, to heavy and not enough traction. Can't legally put studded snow tires on until 15 October in North Dakota and the all season tires are actually only three season tires.

The tractor is even being pushed harder than normal. It won't turn unless the Front Wheel Assist is engaged, and even then you have to a assist the turning by applying the appropriate brake. On a straight push, the differential lock needs to be activated. Blowing is no problem but it sure is slow going with this heavy snow.

It's supposed to clear up about noon tomorrow and then the real clean up begins. Need to check on the neighbors too and see how they're fairing. Got an older couple that have lived here all their lives and they know the score, but there's a young couple that just moved out to the country this fall. They might be a little unprepared for an old fashioned blizzard. We'll see.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #407 on: October 12, 2019, 08:42:43 AM »
Where are you located Pete?  NW Minnesota?
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #408 on: October 12, 2019, 08:49:18 AM »
It has been extremely windy here but no more snow.  Temperatures get into the high 30's during the day.  Supposed to get a little better Monday and Tuesday.  Lots of slush and I see the creek is up a bit.

Glad I ain't where Pete is.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #409 on: October 12, 2019, 09:42:29 AM »
Yeah, what Stan said^    The dire predictions we received proved to be false, too. :banana:   We ended up with light, intermittent showers and an all-day heavy mist accompanied by a steady 25 mph wind out of the southeast.  I can live with that.  It HAS gotten cold, though.....just above freezing. :-\

Pete, better you than us! :lol: :cheers:

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #410 on: October 12, 2019, 01:52:29 PM »
NE North Dakota, about 90 miles west of Grand Forks. Right in the heart of the worst predicted blizzard warning. I tried to get into town today for more fuel, but roads are still plugged. I'm siphoning some out of the fuel oil tank, that'll work for now. Tractor is really sucking fuel but it's a hard pull because the snow is so wet and sticky.

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #411 on: October 12, 2019, 03:08:39 PM »
sounds like it's time for a snowmobile.ya know mn is a tiny bit warmer. just saying
it only goes down to -50 or -60 below.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #412 on: October 12, 2019, 05:56:23 PM »
grew up in NW Minnesota. Coldest I saw was in the early 60's. -53*F. Haven't seen anything in the -40*F range here in North Dakota since the mid 90's. I've got 2 snowmobiles (his and hers) but we've outgrown them. OK, we've gotten to old to enjoy them much anymore would be more accurate.

In Minnesota, back in the 60's, I did get to experience one of those warming phenomenon. It went from a -40 to a +40 in about a half hour. Never forget that one.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #413 on: October 13, 2019, 09:57:12 PM »
Well, that was fun. First really good blizzard we've had since about '97. Snow fall total for us was 28". Normally that wouldn't be to bad but this stuff is really wet and heavy. Trees and shrubs really took a beating but other folks have had it worse I guess. I have slowly converted most of my roofing over to metal and this wet snow slid right off, so that relieved the snow loading. I wish I had done the house in metal.   

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #414 on: October 15, 2019, 05:03:21 PM »
Cold weather here too.  I think it only got up to 84 today.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #415 on: October 17, 2019, 05:46:06 PM »
We are enjoying balmy days this week.  It won't last long but I will enjoy it as long as it is around.
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #416 on: October 20, 2019, 04:27:03 PM »
this winter wool lined beach sandals will not be enough,
just bought some 1,400gr thinsulate boots hi top water proof
mossy oak. they fit well, might have to bust out the animal furs this year.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #417 on: October 21, 2019, 08:58:04 AM »
30 F this morning.  Rained most of yesterday but not a lot of accumulation, just a soft rain for hours.  I gotta remember to stop washing the truck, it attracts these storms. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
« Reply #418 on: October 21, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »
if ya know it's going to rain real good put some soap all over the vehicle ahead of time and get a car wash

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #419 on: October 21, 2019, 03:36:34 PM »
Good advice, Mikey.....perfect weather for a free car wash here today.  An all-day drizzle, 45 degrees for the wash cycle and the 60+ mph winds that will occur from 4PM today until 4AM tomorrow for the power-rinse & blow-dry. :coffee:

P.S.    No motorcycle riding today. :rolleyes:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #420 on: October 21, 2019, 04:41:51 PM »
No riding here either Wolfy.  While soaping up the truck in anticipation of rain sounds good if it rains hard enough to clean the mud off then I am going out to look for Noah.

Still cold here, 30F at 6:00 AM and got to 47F by mid afternoon.  Muddy as all get out too.  Sky to the west looks threatening.  Wind is not bad yet.  Rain coming on Wednesday if the weather guesser is right.
(Mark Twain)