Author Topic: BRRRRR!  (Read 38161 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: BRRRRR!
« Reply #450 on: November 29, 2019, 09:41:11 AM »
The freezing drizzle showed up early this morning.  We are not going to town today but we actually got a recording from the community emergency notice that the roads are black ice at present.

Our deck is dangerously slick this morning.  The stock water tank is working so far.  Temperatures in the high twenties and low thirties F this morning.  Forecast is 8 to 15" of snow with winds approaching 60 mph.  They are saying travel will be impossible on Saturday and that power outages are possible.  Ha!  They got the city folk scared to death already. 

We are ready if the worst shows up I guess. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #451 on: November 29, 2019, 09:46:38 AM »
I just threw the SUP on top of the car for a trip back to the river.  My nieces and nephew were kind of disappointed I didn't bring one yesterday.  Snorkeling gear and sunscreen?  Check.  Quick dry shorts and short sleeves for a beautiful Florida day.

Life is so hard...
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #452 on: November 29, 2019, 09:59:19 AM »
 :fire2:  I'll think about how much fun your having Tony.  Really I will.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #453 on: November 29, 2019, 10:17:22 AM »
Bear in mind I grew up in IL and northern MN.  I know snow and cold.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #454 on: November 29, 2019, 11:33:25 AM »
Yes you would.  Arizona by Tuesday would be nice, but I am married to this farm.
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #455 on: November 30, 2019, 01:10:12 PM »
Got about ten inches of snow last night, that's on top of the six we received the other day...tomorrow wind and lots of it...not good  :(....mid thru low forties all next week :shrug:
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #456 on: November 30, 2019, 02:17:47 PM »
We have a lot of snow, about 8" west of us in town where they measure the stuff.  Windy here too.  Drifts are about mid-thigh on me and the ice on the windshield of the skid steer was so thick I could not get it off.  I am staying indoors until tomorrow morning. 

You got a lot more than we did and I hope it doesn't flood there or here.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #457 on: November 30, 2019, 04:55:47 PM »
We've been pretty lucky so far.....about 3-4'' of snow that has settled to about an inch because of the rain & freezing drizzle that has been pestering us since Thanksgiving Day. 

Really, it's not too bad. :rolleyes:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #458 on: November 30, 2019, 05:19:39 PM »
 :lol: :lol:

Glad you ain't where we are.  10" I guess, wind drifts to 3 feet and a layer of ice underneath from the drizzle last night.  South Dakota, it ain't too bad, about a week a year.
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #459 on: November 30, 2019, 05:49:29 PM »
We've been luck so far as well.  No snow accumulation yet...............8 0 degrees today.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #460 on: November 30, 2019, 05:56:22 PM »
 :soap:
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #461 on: November 30, 2019, 10:36:56 PM »
My corner of Montana is 5 degrees F right now.  Winter is here for sure, probably won't leave til May!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #462 on: December 01, 2019, 11:46:43 AM »
It took three hours about to plow out to the county road.  I would guess about 12" here with drifts to 3' in the usual places.  A bit more than I thought yesterday.  My new snow blade on the skid steer works really well and eliminates all the dumping that went on with the regular bucket. 

I have some to still push in the farm yard but I am going to wait till a bit later today. 

Last night I looked out the bedroom window to see if the pines were in need of brushing off and this guy was in there eating them.  He had a doe with him.  It was cold and snowing hard so I left him to his eating. 

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:56:29 AM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #463 on: December 01, 2019, 03:31:14 PM »
I can't tell if that's Donner or Blitzen. :shrug:   

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #464 on: December 01, 2019, 06:17:41 PM »
 :-X  Me neither.  I think Blitzin is hanging in my neighbors barn so this is likely Donner.  It sure isn't Rudolph.
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #465 on: December 02, 2019, 09:24:02 AM »
I put socks on this morning...

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #466 on: December 02, 2019, 09:37:30 AM »
So did I.  It was 10 degrees but dead calm so it wasn't too bad.  The stock water tank was fine and it is supposed to get to about 43 F today.  I sure hope so then we can have mud.   :-X
(Mark Twain)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #467 on: December 02, 2019, 04:41:31 PM »
Got below 65* F here today. Started the first winter fire here in SW Florida and mixed up a little coffee with Irish Cream to warm the insides. Sitting here in sweat pants, sweat shirt, and thick comfy socks. Life is good.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #468 on: December 02, 2019, 07:35:03 PM »
Well the bottom photo is familiar.  Especially this time of year.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #469 on: December 03, 2019, 04:20:25 AM »
There was FROST on my car window this morning in North Florida.  Drove the wife to the airport for her flight back to Miami.  It was 33 here,  and 53 down there.  Winter is here. 

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #470 on: December 03, 2019, 06:25:32 AM »
Max decided he didn't have to pee that bad at 5 am.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #471 on: December 03, 2019, 11:28:57 AM »
Max decided he didn't have to pee that bad at 5 am.

I did. :rolleyes:

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #472 on: December 03, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »
I guess I'm pretty lucky my ole man can ignore that morning pee.  I wish I could.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #473 on: December 03, 2019, 02:14:41 PM »
Flowmax (brand name) Tamsulosin (generic) will change your life. Especially while camping. Getting a full nights sleep keeps you from falling asleep at the wheel and that can save your life. As they say on TV "Ask you doctor if it's right for you"

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #474 on: December 03, 2019, 02:43:53 PM »
Is this like a pee stopper?  'cause stopping up the stream isn't really on my list of things to do.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #475 on: December 03, 2019, 03:00:04 PM »
No, it's like a pee goer (is that a word?) It allows your bladder to more completely empty and therefore take longer to fill back up, During which time you get a full nights sleep. You no longer time your trips around gas stations and rest stops and you no longer look for the restroom location the first thing when you walk into a new unfamiliar store.

When you can sleep completely through the night, it makes the quality of your daytime waking hours so much better. And if your significant other talks about your snoring, it is not funny or humorous. Sleep apnea is a serious detriment to your heart health and quality of life. There are things that can improve it. There is no need to listen to me, but talk to your doctor and listen to what he or she says. It is important.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #476 on: December 03, 2019, 03:04:35 PM »
Pete it was kind of a joke.  But I will look into it and pass it on to my buddies with pee bottles in their tents.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #477 on: December 03, 2019, 05:15:21 PM »
Tamsulosin is something that cuts your getting up to pee down to a minimum.  Say once or twice a night instead of four times.  It has other side effects too.  One of them is ejaculate is eliminated in some men completely (my Dr. told me this  ;D).  Sort of a no fuss and no mess kind of thing.  Like all meds it ain't consistent in its results.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 05:43:42 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #478 on: December 03, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »
What?! No more discussion about who sleeps on the wet spot?  (Visualizes kid hiding face in hands, saying "T.M.I. dad! T.M.I.!")
(To Much Information)

The off road trip is still wonderful but now your a member of the "Leave no Trace" movement!  Whoo-hoo !!

Oh man, did this fall off the rails.

Talked to a friend of mine tonight that just moved to central California, she lamented about three days of rain and sprinkles. I invited her to move back to the Midwest but she demurred. Apparently freezing drizzle, blowing snow and waist deep drifts are no longer on her list of things to experience. Been there, done that, she says.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #479 on: December 04, 2019, 06:19:50 PM »
Merely reporting what the Dr. said.  Your experience might vary.  Back to the weather.

Weather is a funny time in these parts.  Cold, windy, three foot drifts on a weekend followed by mud and water everywhere.  About the time it dries up here comes more snow.  Deer season ended on Sunday last and the weather was tough on those folks still out and about.  The graders were out on the country gravel roads on Tuesday and you can now drive in two and half miles of mud to get to the paved road.
(Mark Twain)