Author Topic: free sheath patterns  (Read 423 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Whetstone +
free sheath patterns
« on: January 09, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »
i've been wanting to find some free sheath patterns.
does anyone know of any resources to get some
sheath patterns for free?
i saw some on the web but thier for sale.
i'm just trying to cdut some costs here
on this venture of mine.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
Re: free sheath patterns
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 07:39:29 PM »
I've found tons of knife templates but never had much luck looking for sheath and holster patterns. I've looked at sheath pictures for ideas but you kinda gotta trace each specific knife...
"In the school of the woods, there is no graduation day."  Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 04:20:59 AM »
Since none of my knives are identical, I've never even considered sheath patterns.  I will sometimes look at pictures to get ideas but believe that the pants must be made for each individual knife to get a proper fit and look.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 09:25:25 AM »
If you are making a run of identical knives then you can make one sheath and from it a pattern to make the others.  Otherwise it is one at a time.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 12:19:17 PM »
I like using slightly damp cardboard (laundry detergent or cereal box weight) to make sheath patterns.  It conforms to the handle & blade more like leather would if the cardboard is SLIGHTLY damp.  Add a welt pattern made from thicker, dry corrugated box cardboard material.  You'll get a better fit for a closer-to-real-life finished sheath pattern if you add that welt to the mix.  After you get the damp cardboard trimmed to how you want the knife to fit the finished sheath, heat up your wife's clothes iron and iron the pattern good & flat.  Now you have a pattern that will fit the knife, but ONLY that particular knife or a perfect clone of it.  Always seems to work for me, anyway. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX